Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first firearm purchase and I am so excited! I bought it today and can pick it up in 10 days. I live in Los Angeles, so I'm sure the GOV will come confiscate it in 11 days :p.

I don't know if there is anything in particular that I need to know about this rifle, but I'd love to hear any advice you may have for a complete nube! Here are a few questions I have:

1. Is there such a thing as a need to break in the rifle?

2. I don't have a lot of free time, so do I need to do any maintenance between range trips (i.e. if it sits for 3 - 6 months, should I clean and lube it to keep it functioning?)

3. When storing it, should it be assembled or unassembled in the bag?

Thank you and I'm happy to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Welcome to the Ruger forum where you live in "The Republic of Kalifornia" consider yourself very lucky if you get your SR 556 TD!!! With all the Obummer Yada Yada tear jerking nonsense a few days ago. I would be buying up as much ammo as you can. There always has been very strict gun laws the ten day waiting garbage. Makes me wonder what else is going to happen to our 2nd Ammendment rights etc. Sorry for going on I wish you good luck with your new Ruger. Use good brass cased ammo a break in probably 200-500 rounds yes clean & lube it. The AR-15 you can do alot of customizing etc. Any questions you post will be answered here!!!

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
11 days, huh? The wheels of gubmint don't turn that quickly, but in case they do, an unfortunate boating accident may be considered.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...The answers you seek are in the "Ruger Rifle/Semi-Auto" section of the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from one of the more-free states.

I don't have specific experience with that model, but cleaning and storing with a light coat of lube and/or oil is a good idea. As for storing assembled or in parts, I'd advise to do what makes more sense for your home: purpose for the weapon, secure storage options, children in the house, etc.

Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA!

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,759 Posts