Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I purchased one of the new Mini-14's (stainless/synthetic). I have owned one before and was not real happy with it accuracy wise.
Old one was about a 3 1/2 to 4 inch, 5 shot rifle at 100 yards. The new model is way better, 2 inch, 5 shot group at 100 yards using different type/weight bullets, even getting 2-2 1/2 inches with steel cased Russian FMJ. Scope is a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4X32 shotgun scope. This really surprised me so since I like the 7.62X39 short Russian thirty I picked up a new Mini-30 yesterday (stainess/synthetic). Put a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5X32 shotgun scope w/FireFly reticle. I got 1.5-2 inch, 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
There was a couple of guys at the next bench shooting basic AR's and they could not believe the groups I was getting so I let both of them shoot the Mini-14 and 30. Their groups were a hair better than mine.
I like the new front and rear sights on the new Mini's. Seems Ruger did put some thought into improvements.
The Mini-14 was $585 and the Mini-30 was $605 before taxes and NICS check. I think the reputation of the older models will hurt sales somewhat till more people try the new models.
I like the shotgun scopes for closer ranges and the circle or diamond in the center of the reticle. Both of the scopes I used are new and very clear, I think they should last since they are made for shotguns.
These new rifles are neat little packages for plinking and hunting at 150-200 yards.
Definitely fun gun packages.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nuttin' but GOOD news on the Minis!! I'd do good to need 100 yards-sounds like the Stainless/Synthetic Mini is the one I need to go with the case of ammo I just worked into---been long overdue a rifle-thanks for the hands-on report on these....where did you beat catalog price by so much on the .223?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My new Mini is a definate improvement over any of the older ones I have owned. I gave $530 for mine,(stainless with wood stock) but that was a year or so ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts