Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Ruger SA revolvers really. Only SAs I've used have been a Heritage Rough Rider .22 and an 1863 Remington Pocket Revolver (original).

It needs some touching up. I am pretty familiar with S&W DA revolvers, so I know some of the things to look for. Cylinder lockup is good, minimal wiggle, strong springs, great trigger pull...

When I got it, the rear sight was missing. Can you believe a local quack "gunsmith" wanted $80, installed? He does really crappy work and is a compulsive liar to boot. The only reason I called him was to see if he had the part in stock, as no one else did. He wanted $40 for the sight, $40 for the install. And he refused to sell the part without installing it. Well, I'd heard the horror stories of the work he's done to other people's guns and have experienced his lies first hand, and it's not like I'm going to spend that much on the rear sight to begin with.

So I told him to shove it where the sun don't shine, and ordered a SRH sight with white outline for $11 from Midway, Ruger brand, had it installed and centered in 5 minutes.

But also when I got it, as I do with all guns new or used that come into my possession, I detail stripped it and thoroughly cleaned it.

I discovered the left grip panel is busted. Someone over tightened the grip screw and pulled it through. I thought I'd repaired it with gorilla glue, a clamp, and two days to cure, but it didn't hold up under 54 rounds of .44 Mag WWB, not sure of the grain. So... I need a better repair or replacements. I LOVE the weathered walnut with black medallions. Absolutely LOVE it. So I prefer a more solid repair, does anyone have any advice on that? As far as replacement goes, I'd prefer to use identical grips if possible, but having a hard time finding them!

Also, the little cylinder stop that pops up from the bottom of the frame. I've heard it called a bolt? It's left a nice ring. By nice, I mean I feel it's more than it should be. Any advice on fixing that cylinder stop to make it quit? I'm not repairing/refinishing the cylinder, it's original as is the rest of the finish, which is blue by the way. Also, the metal cap on the end of the spring that operates the stop is busted. Function is still fine and the ring was there when I got it. I want to replace that spring tho, and can't find it! Anyone know where to get it?

Other than that, all seems well with it and I'm very pleased.
I don't know exactly the generation, but it's not a flat top and it has the squared trigger guard. Pics to follow. Can't add them in this post for some reason.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A seller on EBay named "furnitureyourway" sells single-action BH and SBH grips that I like. He offers the grips either finished or unfinished. I bought some unfinished BH grips and am applying tinted linseed oil. The grips look very rustic and not polished that way. I like them very much.

Another option is Chig's Grips. He makes BH grips. I have custom ordered from him. I do not know if he can make you SBH grips.

These are from "furnitureyourway." I am staining/oiling them myself to get the older look you described.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445524967.992615.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445525212.645587.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be awesome to match the walnut on my AK, but I feel a weathered gun should have matching weathered grips. So... my AK will match the SBH eventually. uploadfromtaptalk1445527169687.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great price! Gonna look him up and see if he has any in stock right now.

So, anyone have any advice and tips on that cylinder stop and cylinder stop spring?

·
Registered
75 Posts
OP, I had the same issue with the grips on my "new to me" SBH. The grip screw had pulled through.

I really liked the worn in look of the original grips, but wasn't able to tolerate the broken grip.

I ordered a set from shopruger.com.

I did pull the old medallions off the original grips and pushed them into my reloading bench. :)

Good Luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, I've looked at Ruger's grips. And they simply don't look as good to me as these worn ones do :( looks like a varnish instead of oil. Or maybe the varnish wore off our older ones.

I see your cylinder ring is almost identical to mine. Does it bother you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
See, I've looked at Ruger's grips. And they simply don't look as good to me as these worn ones do :( looks like a varnish instead of oil. Or maybe the varnish wore off our older ones.

I see your cylinder ring is almost identical to mine. Does it bother you?
No, the ring doesn't bother me at all. The pistol was manufactured in the early '90's. It's showing some wear is all. I enjoy this beast for what it is, a powerful blaster. :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To keep whatever new grips I get from busting again, I believe I'll sleeve the screw with a ferrule. Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the ring doesn't bother me at all. The pistol was manufactured in the early '90's. It's showing some wear is all. I enjoy this beast for what it is, a powerful blaster. :cool:
That it is. My mom and I both found it a joy to shoot.
My girlfriend's son, an 18 year old tough guy, wimped out. Dad wanted to shoot it so bad, but his arm is so messed up he can barely lift it. He's having surgery on the 28th to fix it up, and I promised him as soon as he's recovered we can hit the range again.

·
Registered
995 Posts
To keep whatever new grips I get from busting again, I believe I'll sleeve the screw with a ferrule. Any thoughts from anyone?
CaryC supplies a spacer with each pair of his grips. The spacer is the same length as the width of the grip frame. Its an aluminum tube of correct inside and outside diameter.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob Wright, do I recognize you from another forum?
I'm pretty confident I can find something that fits, or make something. I have aluminum, copper, brass and steel tubing of different sizes and schedules, tube cutters, and hand files. It's part of what I do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Always. Didn't you cut the barrel down on a SA revolver sometime in the past year or so? Have quite a collection of Rugers, avid shooter and reloader?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe I read that write up, but I could've sworn it was another Ruger. The lengths sound right. I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts