Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger has come out with a new sear pivot pin for the 22/45 Mark III in the last month, This new pin was created to prevent the polymer frame from being damaged by the old pin walking in the frame. Here's a look at the new pin.

If you have one of these pistols and you would like a new pin, call Ruger's Customer Service Department and request they send one to you.

Hope this helps,

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Is that a flush fittin' pin that you pulled part-way out for the pic?
Or are they going to stick out that way by design?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the way the new pins fit. They stick out a little but they're not in the way of the operator. The idea was to keep the pins from moving to the right because they were tearing out the left pin boss due to lack of frame support and mainspring tension.

R,
Bullseye

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
This is excellent news. This little hiccup has caused a lot of grief and disabled many 22/45s. I hope Ruger made a bunch of extras!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bullseye, Thanks for the Ruger update. I have always had a pet "peeve" against "mixing" metal and plastic where excessive"stresses" are set up. Take two pieces of quarter inch rod, one made of metal and the other of plastic and rub them together for a period of time. See which "one" wears the fastest and the most! We are all aware of the troubles with the Glock frame "flexing" on each shot. Even with the .22 Long Rifle we get damage as your pics reveal! Unfortunately, the gun companies "only" concern is profit margin. As long as people buy this "junk", they will continue to sell it!...........Dick[V]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a new 22/45 that has the new pin. But on the right side of the frame the pin is recessed about .025" Why in the heck wouldn't they make the right side longer? I pushed it over and it is now flush again. I'll have to see what happens at my next shooting session.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the pin is not locked into place by the long leg of the sear. You should field strip the pistol and ensure the pin is in the correct place. Go to this link and view the proper orientation; http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/2245_mark3_dsrs101.jpg I'd post the picture here but it is too big for the forum. That pin should not be walking to the left when locked-in. You may have to push the pin to the right and the safety lever to the left to force the sear spring leg into the pin's locking groove.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little bit of recess should not be a problem because the pin boss on the right side of the frame is significantly thicker than the left. The pivot pin's locking groove is designed to index the pin at the proper spacing within the frame. As long as the long leg of the sear spring is not releasing the pin under the forces of recoil the pin should remain locked in place. If the sear leg is not holding the pin in place then you can bend the leg more forward to increase its tension hold on the pin. Like in this picture.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts