Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,597 Posts
Very nice find. And it sounds like you got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First revolver that I ever bought was a 6 inch .357 Security Six SS. Then traded it for a four inch SS and put the oversized Ruger grips on it. Eventually moved to Model 19's and 586. They are all gone now and like so many things that bring you nostalgic smiles, I sometimes dream of all the ones that should be, but aren't, in the stable. Word to the younger folks here. Sometimes to fund another project you sell or trade off arms that are quality and are part of your first's. If possible hang on to them as there will come a day when you "wish you had that one back".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great guns!

I bought a 4" the seller estimated had at least 30.000 maybe 50.000 38's through it.

Cheap and old, but with a 158 H&N SWC over 5,3gn VV340 she stays inside the 2" ring at 25 meters when I do my part.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Great find!

Bought one new in '78. Great, dependable shooter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Transfer Bar System?

Great, you have what will be a classic if it’s not already!

I’ve had a Security Six since ‘95. It was a service revolver for the McAllen, Texas PD, I was told. It’s stainless with a 6” barrel. Since I’ve had it, it has has at least 5,000 rounds of my reloads and no telling how many others rounds plus it’s prior use with the PD.

It is still as tight as the day I bought it.

My brother has one exactly like the one you bought. Had it since about 1990 and he’s as happy as I am...you done well my friend, enjoy!
Jan, 2020
The Transfer bar system is such a simple, totally effective genius system as is the entire system of the Security Six series. Is the internal system of the GP series very much the same? If changes were made, please give me a hint in what area.

After polishing bearing services, mine could not be improved on.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
My first double action eevolver was a 6 inch security 6. I purchased it in 1978. It was worked on by Les Baer yes the 45 guy when he was a gunsmith in PA. It has an 8 lb double action pull but will ignite any and all primers. over 60 rounds thru.

·
One Star
9,735 Posts
Sweet Security Six.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts