·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark III Bull Barrel 5.5 inch
Federal Value Pack Ammo

2 handed 50 ft indoor slow fire

1 handed 50 ft indoor slow fire

I did enough shooting and scored enough targets to qualify for Sharpshooter (with no bars, which is 60+ one handed at 50 feet five times with the B2 target).

Going forward I have to score an aggregate score and use one hand, so I have of course hit a wall. My weakness is in my wrist. I have satisfactory trigger pull, follow through, and I know how to aim, and relax my body. I can bench it and put 3 rounds though a quarter. I expect my improvement to essentially correspond to strengthening my wrist.

I don’t have any consistency yet, and if I don’t get the shot off in 3 seconds I basically have to put it down and start all over again. I don’t have an arch of movement with one hand. Past 3 seconds it starts twitching. There really is no settling in at that point, and the shot opportunity is lost.

I set a personal goal for myself and I won’t let myself get another gun until I can:
1) get all 10 rounds with two hands in the black
2) get all 10 rounds with one hand on the target

The two targets I’ve scanned for your viewing pleasure meet that personal requirement :)
In another 10 days I can purchase another gun (CA only allows 1 handgun purchase very 30 days). It will likely be a Mark III 678.

I have a LONG way to go, and having been shooting for less than a month now. I basically got my hands on a copy of the US Army Marksmanship manual and read it cover to cover. I’m pretty sure the efforts I have put toward following that has resulted in my non embarrassing shooting results thus far.

I consider my skills pretty bad, but I am puting that up against what I expect I need to compete at a half way respectable level.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
that will work.
Get that trigger broken in an you are on your way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to see you are reading and shooting. Shoot a lot and your skills will improve. Have fun doing it. If you get outdoors shoot something other than paper for a change of pace. Soda cans, eggs, clay birds, etc.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Off hand shooting is sometimes not fun, so don't feel badly, Rich447. That's why I bench rest and prairie dog shoot off of a Harris bi-pod. With a handgun, I can put them in a torso in a kill zone, but I can't make one ragged hole with any caliber off hand. Two handed is good; one handed is shaky.

Try lifting weights. It will build up your hands and wrists...the little weights that are about 5 pounds each. I do that every nite; I try to do 100. I also squeeze a tennis ball a whole bunch of times a day, both hands at the same time, as much as I can. I have smaller hands...BUT I can shoot a .44Mag. full power loads, with no flinch or weak wrist whatsoever. Makes a huge difference squeezing those tennis balls! I like the yellow ones; they are easier to find when I lose them! See ya!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Best way I've found to build your wrists/forearms is about a 8# weight-(Milk jug of water) on a rope wrapped around a broomstick-hold arms straight out and roll/unroll the jug up and down on the stick...it'll work the same muscles you shoot with...I was raised shooting one-handed, too....back in the day the best shots all did that...took more work is all...you might enjoy Bill Jordan's book "No Second Place Winner"....(I don't know how to underline)...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to hear about the exercises. What I’ve started to do is hold my arm out and with a large book (wow those old college days books are nice to keep around) in my hand (being clasped) and with my arm out and elbow locked I do an up and down wrist action until it burns. I do both arms and writs this way.

These are effectively muscles I don’t use. So it’s going to take a long time. Unlike a motorcycle throttle or a squeezing of the hands this is like a left to right motion with the wrist.

I’m hoping to get in 3 days of shooting a week. Unfortunately I don’t have a place where I can simply go outside and shoot anything I want. So managed ranges it is.

It’s funny because I haven’t been shooting very long, and for those first few weeks I thought I had an idea what I was doing. I was even going through a methodical process. Then I read the Army manual and there was a WHOLE bunch of things I was doing wrong. I was holding my at the top of my breath and not the bottom, my grip was all wrong, and I didn’t even know what follow through meant.

There is this circle diagram that seems pretty common (I’ve seen quite a few people with them) that shows common errors of shooters. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’m fortunate I have my friend helping me out so I really didn’t spend a lot of time getting accustom to bad habits. I don’t even drink caffeinated sodas at the range :) But if I offer you a Mountain Dew you know I am being competitive :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
with practice it will all fall into place for you in no time at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts