Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody!

I am new to shooting and was wondering if the SR9 is a good first gun to own (i.e. ease of use, easy to maintain, safe, etc).

This will be used for range practice and home defense.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the SR9 just a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. I've only been able to put 100 rounds through it but no FTFs or FTEs. This is my first 9mm. I have a Ruger Single Six and a MKII. I wasn't sure how the recoil would be since I've only had .22s. To my surprise there is very little recoil. The gun is easy to maintain. There are three separate safety features so this gun is definitely going to be safe, but remember your responsibility in being a safe shoter. I am a female who just got back into shooting after a home invasion. You will enjoy the SR9 at the range and it will be reliable for home defense. Go to your LGS and check one out. Only you will know if it is right for you but I am very pleased.

·
Registered
29 Posts
New SR9c owner here. Great guns, easily manageable on the range. I was looking at the Glock 19, but for the money this fit what I was looking for in a 9mm a bit more.

This is my first handgun as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The SR9 is an excellent choice for a first pistol, I own one and have been so pleased with it I plan to purchase an SR9c as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everybody!

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate your honest feedback about the SR9. I have been doing a lot of research on the gun for the past month, and I just wanted to justify all of the good things I have been reading online about it. I am looking forward to getting my license and purchasing the SR9 (hopefully within the next couple of months).

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

I don't have an SR9 yet, ( :D ), but I've always heard good things about it. It is on my "gotta have" list...right next to the SR22, LCR .38 Spl.+P, etc...

Glad you could join us, ENJOY!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have well over 3000 rounds through my sr9c and have never had an issue of any kind. It will be one of the best guns you'll ever buy.

By the way mk34techrep I think you are lucky to live in the best location in the nation. I have over 100,000 miles on my car and probably 80,000 are from driving to your neck of the woods every chance I get. :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have had my SR9 for 3 months now and have put around 500 rounds through it so far after sending it to Ruger and getting it back. No issues...fires what I have fed through it...Blazer Brass, Independence, and Remington UMC (ammo of choice for me). You will enjoy yours for sure when you get it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, you will like yhe gun. Or an SR9c with the extended mag. Both are nice.
SR9c with over 4500 rounds,no failures, SR9 with over 100 none either.

You cannot go wrong. Make sure you understand all the Mass laws though, they are hard to decode

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't have an SR9 yet either, but probably will before it's over. Beware - this forum will make you buy more guns than you ever thought you would.

Welcome to the forum - from "The Mountain State" of West Virginia

·
Registered
590 Posts
If your SR9 is anything like my Sr9c, you're going to love it. I use mine for home defense, CCW and the range. It's a pleasure to shoot.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really looking forward to trying it out, hopefully soon! Thanks again everybody for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
They are a great handgun.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Great first pistol.... but, if i were to do it again, I would go for the sr9c, much easier to conceal, and with the mag extension you still get the feel of a full size grip.
The SR line is great !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts