Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jst purchaced my new in box p944-10 i have had may firearms but never a handgun shot one one time one round when i was 12...what is the best way to figure out whether or not to keep this weapon do to accuracy i dont want to end up learning how to shoot with a gun that is all ways going to pattern like a buckshot load at 15 yards.... i have played airsoft bb guns ect but befor i put 100 rounds through it and scrach it up what should i do is there a break in period i have already wiped down all the thick oil and rust prevention stuff off but the manual says nothing about special nooks and cranniesand how much to oil it ..when i bought my shotgun new in box like 1 1/2 years ago i wiped it down after spraying some brake clean to get the factory oil of and went put about 150 rounds with no oil just to smooth things outcame home cleaned it out real good then oiled everything and smooth as butter...p.s i know no one who is savy with firearms thanks youguys are my only friends who i can ask about these things...gun store onwers are like read the book.....last time i do buy from there

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Get a good quality cleaning rod (not aluminum!) and bore brushes, jags, patches, ect. for your bore size. Field strip gun if possible. Always clean your barrel from the rear if at all possible. Use any good quality bore cleaner. I have used Hoppes #9 for years and have always been happy with it. If I shoot a lot of jacketed bullets I will follow up my #9 with copper cleaner until it comes out clean. My procedure is to use the #9 first. With #9 in the bore I use the bore brush several pases, then a clean patch, more #9 and keep doing it until it comes out pretty clean. Then the copper cleaner until it comes out clean. Then a oily patch. I usually run a dry patch too unless I know it is gonna be a long time until I shoot said gun again. In the case of an autoloader, you want to clean the breechface and extractor hook and all that. Pretty much anything that looks dirty. I have used carberator cleaner to clean all the gunk out of my autoloaders (not every time, just when they get really funky) and then I will grease the rails, not a gob, just enough to lube the rails. Hope this makes sense to you. There is nothing like showing someone in person rather than trying to write about it, especially with my limited writing skills!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
makes sence to me but greace or oil on the slides? and where it is new never been shot should i run it dry for a few rounds after ive cleaned the metal shaveings ect...i use rem oil and or 3 in 1 for lube on my rifles( I live in the desert and clean every time i go shooting) works great for the dust and sometimes before if they have been stored for a period of time they mostly ae in a case but the shotgun is allways out im just not sure with an auto loader about break in....i thought your post was very helpful thanks very much

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Grease on the slide. You should be careful using 3 in 1 oil on a gun. It is a penatrating oil and if enough of it gets on your primers it can soak in and kill the priming compound enough to have misfires. I am not really sure what you are asking about running it dry after cleaning metal shavings. There should not be any metal shavings, or at least not what I would call shavings. Maybe a trace of brass left on the breechface, but not shavings!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just scrap metal ect. fro machining....i was going to clean it real well wipe it down with a lil rem oil the go shooting come home and really go through it...i just figured run it once with out lube to smooth every thing out.... i use 3-1 for the trigger ass.....collects less dust imo thx though

·
Registered
197 Posts
Brandon oil it like the others have said but after you shoot a couple hundred rounds through it you will notice shiny spots on the slide rails and all other places where metal moves against metal. Those places should be oiled. But you will only need a light film of oil not enough so it runs. Just use a good gun oil as all oils are not the same.

If you are concerned about the dust you might try Remington's dry lube. It sprays on and the carrier evaporates but leaves a teflon coating behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts