Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the sight and also a new and proud owner of a SP101 w/ 2.25" barrel. I really like this firearm and after a couple of times to the range it proved to be pretty accurate for me. The stock sights are difficult to pick up in the indoor range so I decided to purchase an XS front sight. After going through the process of installing the sight I went to the range today to see how it worked out. The improvement in sight picture was immediate but my point of impact was way off from stock. With the stock sights the thing was dead on at 20yds with .357 Mag-158gr. and an inch or so low with
.38 SPC-125gr. Has anyone have the same problem with these sights. I took them off immediately when I returned home and put the stock sight back on. Im afraid I just blew $60. Any suggestions?:(

Sean

·
Registered
199 Posts
XS sights take a bit practice. You will have to work on learning to use them. Some hate them and some love them but I liked them on a 3" 1911 I had. I have thought of putting them on my SP.

Doyle

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
How far off and in which direction(s) and is it enough to significantly affect your intended use of the gun? Those are the questions.

For example, in a self-defense, short range gun, it may be very well worth exchanging a little different point of impact for better sight acquisition. Your scores may drop a bit at the range, but it could save your life.

Besides, it is not at all uncommon for fixed sight guns such as yours not to shoot to your desired point of impact, right out of the box, so you typically have to learn the needed hold over or under, anyway. Then, too, trying different ammo could get you back to your desired point of impact.

Again, how far off and in which direction?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Were the new sights the same height as the stock sights?Sometimes you have to order the same size sights or file them down to get to the same spec's as the originals...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. North Country Gal, the strikes were low and to the left. And with the .38's not even close to what I pointing at. When I first fired the gun when I purchased it I was able to get fairly tight groups and the more I shot it the tighter they got. This is with the stock sight and 357 Mag Fiocchi's @158gr. Federal .38 SPC @125gr. of course were even better but just a tad low. LAGun, the new sight is a taller profile but the tritium dot in the sight is what I'm using to index with the rear sight. I wont give up on them yet but it seems that their gonna need work. Not sure if its worth it.

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I removed my XS front sight from my SP and reinstalled my stock sight and went to the range last night. As expected the POI/POA was right on. Talk to the nice folks over at Gemini custom and I plan on sending them my front sight and they will match a sight for my pistol based on the stock sight specs. If anyone has similar issues I encourage you to talk to the guys at Gemini. They were very helpful.

·
Registered
359 Posts
XS sights are usually intended for a combat sight picture not a six o'clock hold, i.e. front sight covers target. You changed the sight and then wonder why your poi was different??????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally, when I purchase something as a replacement for a stock piece that the manufactures of said piece states it fits, I expect it to perform to the same standard as stock or better. I understand that my poi could change with a different sight but not as much as I had experienced. I found it to be dissapointing. Thats all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts