Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all.

I have a Ruger 197 series Mini-14 Standard Rifle, made in 2004, and I just do not care for the sights.

Here's a picture of the rear sight (attached)...I believe these are 195 series sights...the front is a simple ramped blade.

I'd like to replace front and rear. peep/aperture is fine. What do you all use and like?

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
For the rear, I'd recommend either a Tech Sights Mini200 sight. They are currently unavailable until a new shipment arrives in November from Tiawan (I called Tech Sights the other day). You want the Pre-2005 version:

Or, a M1 Carbine Type II adjustable sight from Accuracy Systems Inc. (About 1/3 way down the page.)

For the front sights, you have a wealth of choices from Choate, ASI, and other manufacturers. Both sights and sight/flashhider combos. You want the skinny barrel versions (non 58X series) for your Mini. Google Ruger Mini Series 197 front sights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks...either site is nice but I really like the carbine style.

I shot today and my eyes aren't what they used to be (neither is the rest of me), I was all over the place. Then again, I have health problems and can't get a steady hold anymore. Also, I was using "el cheapo" WPA 55-grain ammo.

I'd consider a scope even but this model has no scope ring scallops cast into the receiver so a scope is out.

Oh well..probably only let me see my misses better anyway...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Neither one of the sights pictured above will work in the MINI14 , those are ranch model sights. The one you want is the Tech Sight RR200 as pictured below. The Mini14 has the sight set up cast into the receiver and the RR200 is the way to go. They are around 65.00 and are in stock from Tech Sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Misfire51 and I don't want to get off the main topic BUT I was under the impression that all Mini-14's produced after 1981 were Ranch models.

Well then I just found this and read it carefully as it confused me at first...

180 Series
Produced from 1974-1977.
Brass ejects upwards.
Shipped from factory with wood handguard installed.
Original Mini-14, no longer supported by Ruger (i.e., no 180-specific parts available)

181 - 186 Series
Produced from 1978-1999.
"Standard" Mini-14
No factory scope mounts, single blade front sight, low round rear peep sight.
Brass ejects upwards.
Still supported by Ruger factory parts.

196 - 197 Series <--This is apparently what I have.
Produced from 2000-2004.
Same as 181-186 Series.

187 - 188 Series
Produced from 1982-1995.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle
Factory Scope Mounts, flip-up rear sight, single blade front sight.
Brass ejects to side to avoid contact with scope.
Still supported by Ruger factory parts.

195 - 197 Series
Produced from 1996-2004.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.
Same as 187-188 Series.

580 - 581 Series
Produced from 2005-Present.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.
Winged Rear Peep Sight, Winged (3-blade) Front Sight.
Integrated Scope Mounts.
At some point in the 580 Series, Ruger introduced the "heavier," flanged/tapered barrel which improved accuracy and decreased heat sensitivity (stringing).​

Maybe it's just me but I find this rather confusing. Apparently I'm not the only one now that I look into it a bit. One gentleman, on another forum, described my style rifle to a T and stated emphatically that this was THE Ranch model. I now know it's a standard model.

My apologies for the confusion in the thread starter COSteve.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, you did not cause confusion, well at first you did but you enabled me to get it straight finally. It's Ruger's fault not yours.

I believe I confused COSteve because I originally stated that "I have a Ruger 197 series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, made in 2004". I have changed the post to read "standard rifle".

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well than your good to go. I've always thought that the rr200 looks the best anyway.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Greetings all.

I have a Ruger 197 series Mini-14 Standard Rifle, made in 2004, and I just do not care for the sights.

Here's a picture of the rear sight (attached)...I believe these are 195 series sights...the front is a simple ramped blade.

I'd like to replace front and rear. peep/aperture is fine. What do you all use and like?
You have the Mini standard rear sight prior to the Ranch Rifle made sometime after the 197 series. I have the same sight on my 183 rifle. If you will look at the blade that is adjustable up and down you will probably see that the hole you look through is buried down low in the sight. I drilled a higher hole of the same diameter (don't recall the size) high on the blade. I filled the bottom hole with a short piece of aluminum rivet shank and tipped it flat and painted it black.

It's the only way I have found to keep from having to raise the sight up until it was no longer stable. The other option is to file off some of the front sight.

It's probably not as good as a Tech sight but it's not bad.
kwg

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Kilogulf, The Tech sight requires a higher front sight than the fat blade that came on your 197 series. I tried my first Tech sight with the single fat blade front sight on my 195 series and could not get enough elevation out of the Tech. I got a take off "winged" new style sight and it was just right. It slipped on and used the same roll pin hole. You need a .560" one, call ASI if you want one, they had a few last week.

·
Exalted One
1,718 Posts
I'd consider a scope even but this model has no scope ring scallops cast into the receiver so a scope is out.

Oh well..probably only let me see my misses better anyway...
Kilo, there are scope mount options out there for your model (I have one on my 181-series). But if you're really interested in mounting a scope (or red-dot), take a hard look at either an Ultimak or Amega scout rail. Either one of these replaces the hand guard and provides a picatinny rail. You could then use either a red dot, or a long-eye-relief scope, such as a pistol scope. Sandog has plenty of good pics of this set up and he provides great advice. Either of these two options are far superior to the funky mount I have (that puts the scope/red dot over the receiver - sometimes in the way of ejecting brass). I don't get a "cheek weld" - more of a "chin weld" because the scope it so high, The scout mounts keep the optics forward of the receiver and much lower than any other option - allowing a "cheek weld" when using them.

Worth considering if you're really interested in putting optics on your rifle. Both still allow use of the iron sights (unless you mount an optic on them).

Sandog: pipe in!:)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Let me give you some help Sandog, as the OP might be a bit impatient to see your pics. Hope ya don't mind me linking to your pics on PU.

Here are a couple pics of his Mini with the scope mounted forward on his Ultimak rail. He's told me that not only did it help mount the optic low but as it replaces the top of the gas block, it helps wick away heat and stiffens up the barrel too.

It's also good for mounting a red dot. Note how low and clean the mount is.

These should give you an idea of what he's talking about.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thanks for putting up the pics, Steve. All three of my Mini's are Ranch rifles, but I don't like mounting a scope over the receiver. I have done it when I first get a new Mini to test loads or see what accuracy level I am getting before starting to do mods. Having a scope over the action is o.k. for range work, but after that is done, I want the scope ( or dot) out front.
With the Ultimak ( or Amega rail):
1) no brass hitting your optic
2) no worries about your scope or over the action rail hitting your rear sight
3) easy to remove bolt for cleaning
4) easier to clear a jam
5) better balance/carrying
6) absorbs some barrel heat and spreads it around (same as a strut)
7) replaces top half of the gas block at front, clamp goes around barrel at back, so rigid and helps stiffen barrel which aids accuracy
and most importantly:
8) increases peripheral vision as there is nothing right up against your eye, shoot with both eyes open, see more of what's going on downrange.
More pics:

Forward mounted sight on a Ruger Gunsite Scout:

·
Registered
763 Posts
And there you have it. The definitive discussion on low mounted sights on one's Mini by the esteemed Sandog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I'm late in replying fellas...busy here and company up for a few.

You guys have given me quite a bit to digest and I'll reply in detail in a few days.

Those ARE nice looking setups...and I would need the forward mount as my rifle throws the brass forward and to the right (nice for the guy next to me :D ).

I have to run, and will be back in a few days, but we may have to change the name of this thread to "Setting Up Ken's Mini-14"...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the company is gone and I am back.

Again, thanks to all who have assisted me, it's much appreciated.

Well, first off, instead of letting my Mini-14 sit and gather dust, I've decided to make it into my project rifle for home-defense. Living in rural America, a good, reliable rifle is important and, while my old .30-30 Marlin does a good job, I want something else in addition.

Secondly, and I hate to admit it but, my eyes simply aren't what they used to be. Therefore, I believe a sight with some magnification, light gathering capabilities, and a decent field of view is in order.

Third, I already have this weapon, bought and paid for, and five Ruger 20-round magazines for it as well.

So let's take it from there...keeping in mind cost as I'm on a fixed income nowadays.

Sandog, I really like the looks of your desert tan Mini and was wondering if you have a post detailing what you did and how you did it in setting it up?

Also, should this thread be split now as I'm getting into more of setting up the entire rifle instead of simply a new rear sight?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet rifle and thanks for the link...you realize, of course, that I will probably have just a few questions :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts