Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to become a first-time Ruger New Blackhawk owner and have questions about the initial cleaning and lube. Aside from what will be stated in the manual, what suggestions do you have regarding areas to clean and lube. How much disassembly is required, and is it necessary to inspect the internals, i.e., remove the side plate etc? Suggestions appreciated!

·
Exchequer
4,927 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new BH.

My suggestion is to simply go by what is in the owner's manual.

Your new BH will likely need a minimal cleaning to get rid of any packing grease or gunk used for shipping and storage. After that, I'd use just a drop or two of lube or oil only on the parts or areas recommended in the manual. It is always a good idea to thoroughly inspect any new firearm (unloaded of course) for any possible defects or shavings left over from the manufacturing process. There generally is no reason to disassemble it completely.

And, it is a good idea to thoroughly inspect the firearm at the shop BEFORE you take it home. That way, if there is a problem (scratches, dings, etc.) you can refuse to take delivery and ask the shop to get you one that is without any issues.

BTW, I'm sure we'd all appreciate some photos of your new Ruger once it arrives.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would pay big money to watch you remove the sideplate on my new model SBH.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Rockymonster, there really isn’t much to it. First, you want to remove the cylinder by opening the loading gate, and pulling the base pin. You want to run a solvent soaked patch down the barrel and through each chamber on the cylinder. Follow this with a couple dry patches. The only lube that I use on my single actions is a tiny drop of gun oil on each end of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
15,038 Posts
There are quite a few YouTube video's on how to break down to the bare parts for Blackhawks. Had to do it to a GP100, New Vaquero and a couple Redhawks. It is not as hard you think but tedious and detailed. I try to do things like that in as small a room/area possible. Amazing how far little springs can fly! Welcome the forum and hello from Illinois.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the assistance folks!

On another note….any ideas where I can acquire a box or two of of 45 Colt? 😳

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Don't over think it ... Single Actions are rather simple , and don't need a lot of complicated take down ...avoid some of the U-Tube experts ...those guy's are nothing but show offs .
New SA comes with a little protected bore and cylinder coating ,A rod a patch and any CLP you like will do...clean the bore and chambers . Take off the grips but that's all you need to remove .
For lubrication ... I like RemOil , I spray it into small openings , so it gets some into trigger area and other places ... wipe down outside with RemOil on a rag and put a drop of RemOil at front and rear of installed cylinder .
Again ... Don't overthink the process and Don't over think the products ...
Basic is Best . RemOil is the one product I've never had Gum Up on me ...other products will ( namely some CLP's ) . WD40 is a good cleaner but RemOil is a better lube/oil .
The BH in my avatar , I bought new in 1970 and still shooting .
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
gwpercle has shot a few of these and is correct . Keep it simple till you want /have to do more .
Clean bore, clean cylinders load er up.
One extra step I take lube wise is a dab of oil/grease at the front and back of the cyl before you put the cylinder back in
As you get more into owning this thing if you have problems with leading you are gonna want to measure the cylinder throats and check for barrel thread choke . Ruger has not had a good case history here with the 45 holes being the worst offenders .
Lot's of internet info about it and several easy to access guys can fix them right up.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I don't tear my guns down when I first get them, I don't tear my guns down after I have owned them for decades. When I bring a new gun home I tell my darling bride I have had that old things for years and then give it a good cleaning like I would after a day at the range. This has worked for me for as long as I can remember. I know the more knowledgeable members take it further and I am sure they do a better job. But it works for me.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Follow post #5 instructions and go shoot it. That tells you that it is mechanically sound. Now you can tear it all the way down and clean the insides, check for burrs, metal flakes, maybe put a stone to some parts etc. Also this is time (if necessary) to open up the cylinder throats and set the forcing cone to 11 degrees. Then once re-assembled and lubed you know what you got. Then shoot it some more. Over time, if you really like the gun, then time to tune it up to the way 'you' want. That may require a gunsmith of course. My keepers all have 2#-3# pulls, slick actions, and virtually no creep on the trigger before it breaks over. You can just 'feel' the difference compared to factory when you cycle the action. So when I pick up my Vaquero, New Vaquero, Flattops.... They all 'feel' the same, even same style of grips. Anyway, I like it that way! YMMV.

Forgot to add, on the first few outings after shooting a few cylinder fulls, check all the screws to see if any are 'loose'. Tighten as needed, and if it continues, get some blue loctite on the loose ones. Nothing ruins an outing when your ejector housing flies off for example and the screw is gone...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
In addition to the excellent info given above I like to keep a thin coat of oil on the entire length of the base pin. Also, with the revolver fully assembled, open the loading gate and a drop or two of lube on the ratchet and gate hinge keeps things smooth!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nothing ruins an outing when your ejector housing flies off for example and the screw is gone...
Replaced barrel: Nothing ruins your day worse that the ejector rod screw breaking or the busing pulling loose. The last barrel with broken screw was replaced when returned to the factory. That is the only broken part I have ever had on a Ruger Single action.

I suggest at the minimum following Ruger's instructions on care and cleaning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there a tendency for Ruger Single Actions to appear as collections? Looks there may be several happy Ruger SA owners in this thread. Haters do not do well when one points out that it is hard to argue with success. None of my Ruger single actions are safe queens. I also use Mobil #2 synthetic grease with Hoppe's #9 and Balistol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts