Ruger Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Nice revolver!

With a new gun I just do a quick and basic degrease with rubbing alcohol, and then lube with a bit of Froglube for lubricity and rust prevention.

Since yours is a stainless revolver, the rust prevention aspect is pretty much moot. I'd keep it all simple. If I fired only copper jacketed bullets through that, I'd just do a post-shooting cleaning with something like Breakfree CLP and wipe all the excess off. If I fired lead bullets, I'd always take care to clean the lead out of the barrel before firing jacketed ones.

Other than that, unless you have that thing near saltwater, etc., then it's about as worry-free as a gun can be.

Registered
Looks there may be several happy Ruger SA owners in this thread.
Several? I'd say most if not all are happy Ruger SA owners..... :) . And they do magically multiply.... hence 'collections' . You know, take Rugers in .45 Colt. In my 'collection' there is a standard BH, a Bisley, two flattops, a original Vaquero, and a New Vaquero. All in 5 1/2" except the Bisley (7 1/2") . Plus the other .45 Colt SA revolvers that aren't Ruger.... That is just one collection. I had to standardize on 5 1/2" as I like it the best and I would have even more revolvers.... Then you still have revolvers that shoot other cartridges .... More collections.... So it goes :D .

Grand Inquisitor
I am about to become a first-time Ruger New Blackhawk owner and have questions about the initial cleaning and lube. Aside from what will be stated in the manual, what suggestions do you have regarding areas to clean and lube. How much disassembly is required, and is it necessary to inspect the internals, i.e., remove the side plate etc? Suggestions appreciated!
Howdy from Ol Virginny and congrats. They are addictive. I have 2 now and shot my blued one today. As to your question, I clean any gun I get, new or used, as I would any gun, light solvent, light lube, and clean patches if it is already clean.

Registered
You didn鈥檛 say it was a bisley. The bisley grip frame is my favorite by far. They fit my hand the best, and I find them the best for taming heavy recoil. Here are my bisleys View attachment 157102
Agreed. That is a working man's sixgun collection. I also have Bisley only sixguns all in 45 Colt. They are in different stages of tune. My favorite shooter has a free spin pawl, 11 degree cone, .453 reamed and swaged cylinder (bought it used), bedded grips, Belt Mountain base pin, and other tweaks. It is tight and accurate. I like Bowen target sights on mine. Got a couple old model Vaquero Bisleys and several Blackhawk Bisleys.

Registered
Normally I would tend to agree with the "minimalist" when it comes to cleaning then shooting but after my last experience with a new RH, I'd say strip it down to it's last screw and make very sure everything is operating and fitting the way it should! And if you're not sure, take to gunsmith and have them show how to tear it apart and put it back together again. The fit & function can be checked at the same time. My new RedHawk was a disaster out of the box and a normal 4 hour clean up and stone job turned into 12 hours of work! If it hadn't of been a replacement, there us no way I would have taken it home!
Cheers,
crkckr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Agreed. That is a working man's sixgun collection. I also have Bisley only sixguns all in 45 Colt. They are in different stages of tune. My favorite shooter has a free spin pawl, 11 degree cone, .453 reamed and swaged cylinder (bought it used), bedded grips, Belt Mountain base pin, and other tweaks. It is tight and accurate. I like Bowen target sights on mine. Got a couple old model Vaquero Bisleys and several Blackhawk Bisleys.
I was going to ask folks if they changed out the sights and their thoughts about the options and where to acquire them. I鈥檓 thinking white outline rear and red insert front or paint.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts