Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my third Single Six in 32 H&R Mag, this one with fixed sights. If they ever come out with a new 4 5/8" stainless fixed sight version in 32M I will need to buy a fourth ...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have the same exact model on layaway too, as a long time fan of the .32 revolver cartridges, like .32 Long and .32 H&R I couldn't pass this up.

I have one of the NC Ordnance "Lightning" grip frames laying around, I may put it on the the .32 when I get it.

I would have preferred it in stainless but the blue was available and the only option Ruger is currently making for these, so I went for it.

If I fall in love with the gun, I will probably have it hard chromed.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Nice!

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I grabbed a stainless 5 1/2" as well to get a six shot 4 5/8" .327 Mag with traditional six shot fluted cylinder. I cut the barrel and reamed the cyl to 327.

Had already done that on several blue 4 5/8" 32 H&R mags but wanted a stainless one as well to go with my fixed sight stainless 327 6 shot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I picked up one of the new Single Six 32s that regular recently did. Mine came with the plastic grips. If I relatively new to single action land, and I read through the gunblast article on grips. But I'm still a little confused.

Are the Single Six 32 grip frames the same as the Single Six 22? And if so, will the grips that fit these also fit a Super Blackhawk (89-90s era) and vice-versa?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Are the Single Six 32 grip frames the same as the Single Six 22? And if so, will the grips that fit these also fit a Super Blackhawk (89-90s era) and vice-versa?

Thanks.
1. Yes the current issue .32 models and all past issue adj sighted .32 grip frames are the same as the .22s. (Note however: most of the original issue fixed sight Single Six .32s (Vaqueritos) had a special extra short grip frame. Only 1000 had the same grip frame as the .22).

2. Yes the grip frames will fit the SBHs of any era but only with 5 1/2" or shorter barrels. They will not fit the SBHs with 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" barrels which have the larger Dragoon grip frame with square backed trigger guard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. Yes the current issue .32 models and all past issue adj sighted .32 grip frames are the same as the .22s. (Note however: most of the original issue fixed sight Single Six .32s (Vaqueritos) had a special extra short grip frame. Only 1000 had the same grip frame as the .22).

2. Yes the grip frames will fit the SBHs of any era but only with 5 1/2" or shorter barrels. They will not fit the SBHs with 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" barrels which have the larger Dragoon grip frame with square backed trigger guard.
So the factory Walnut grips from my dad's 10.5 SBH will not fit in my single six, right? Ultimately, that's what I was getting at.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
So the factory Walnut grips from my dad's 10.5 SBH will not fit in my single six, right? Ultimately, that's what I was getting at.
Sorry, no, not even close. But if you like the big SBH grip frame, you can bolt one up to your single six.

Old model single six with SBH grip frame and hammer. 7 1/2" barrel that started out at 9 1/2":

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Picked up my third Single Six in 32 H&R Mag, this one with fixed sights. If they ever come out with a new 4 5/8" stainless fixed sight version in 32M I will need to buy a fourth ...
The stainless fixed sight 4 5/8" can be found fairly often, and some NIB. They have a little premium on the price but less than a new gun price.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
A couple years ago I came across a Ruger Single Six .327 FM! The owner had the .32 H&or Mag. Cylinder reamed out to .327 FM!

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
A couple years ago I came across a Ruger Single Six .327 FM! The owner had the .32 H&or Mag. Cylinder reamed out to .327 FM!
Here's my first from 2010:

This old model .22 was a two step conversion; 1st to center fire and 32 H&R Mag with a factory barrel and cyl , 2nd I reamed the cyl to 327 Mag.

Had to enlarge the loading gate chute for the larger cases.

In these two shots, you can see where I plugged and re-drilled to lower the firing pin and recoil plate for center fire.

The next was for a friend who expressed an interest in a .327 Fed Mag Ruger Super Single Six, with adjustable sights but in stainless steel. So I converted a stainless Super Single Six .22 to center fire and installed a .32 Vaquerito stainless cyl and barrel, and again reamed the cyl to .327.

Since then I've done about a dozen including 32 H&R/32-20 Buckeye Blackhawks. The last two are my stainless Vaquerito and this one:

New Model .32 H&R, now a .32 Mag/.327 Fed Mag with extra .32-20 convertible cylinders, loading chute enlarged slightly more for he larger .32/20 case rims. Bisley hammer with modified spur, Stainless Steel grip frame, steel ejector rod housing, SBH grooved trigger w/web removed, Colt ejector rod, and free-spin cylinder pawl for ease of aligning the chambers with the loading gate:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, no, not even close. But if you like the big SBH grip frame, you can bolt one up to your single six.

Old model single six with SBH grip frame and hammer. 7 1/2" barrel that started out at 9 1/2":

Hondo44.....I love that SBH grip frame on the SS.....Can you tell exactly what SBH grip frame I need to buy to convert my 1994 super single six stainless 6 1/2 grip frame and put one of those on it.
I know alot about S6's but I know nothing about the bigger revolvers.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
munk1,

In general: all Ruger SA grip frames including SBH Dragoon, Blackhawk, Single Six, Old Army, Bisley and Birdshead (excluding Bearcats of course) will interchange from the standpoint of the screw pattern from Single Six to Super BH, Old Model to New Model, and even NM to OM. New steel and stainless grip frames are only partially finished and will need fitting, and bluing or polishing if stainless steel. Take off grip frames are much less work.

Any year SBH stainless grip frame will fit your 1994 Single Six, it's the easiest swap there is.
All the screws, springs and pins can be transferred over from existing GF.

It's always easier to use a 'take off' grip frame because new steel and stainless grip frames from Ruger are only about 90% finished, requiring more work and bluing if not stainless steel.

Grip Frame Ear height around the base of the hammer varies on all grip frame ears slightly due to hand fitting at the factory. This is the only fitting needed to match your cyl frame and make the ears flush with your hammer base.

The grip frame ‘ears’:

Grip frame installation tips:

Always unhook both legs of the trigger spring for reassembly.
Always leave the cyl out so you can confirm the cyl latch spring/plunger is properly aligned on the latch so it has tension on it by seeing it sticking up thru the frame, before putting in any grip frame screws.
The cyl hand spring to the left side of the hammer goes plunger first.
Install all five screws but do not cinch them tight. Align the grip frame edges flush with the cyl frame by tapping with the butt of a plastic handled screw driver. Tighten one trigger guard screw, then front screw and then one ear screw. Then tighten them all.

Note: I always check the grip frame screw holes for machining chips left in them (especially stainless guns) from threading the holes for cleaning out if present. The two screw holes behind the trigger guard usually have huge rollover burrs from drilling the hammer pin hole and milling the frame. This will cause screws to screw in too tight and/or break off.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hondo44 hey thank you for sharing. Very interesting with your two Ruger's there. Your last picture with the two cyinders thats really a very nice conversion. You do beautiful work there outstanding!!!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts