Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I being too critical? I ordered this from Davidson's took it home from the dealer and have yet too fire it.

The fit and finish looks somewhat poor to me. Finish around loading gate and opposite side of frame looks a tad rough. I'm considering sending it to Ruger for repair or re-work.

My only direct comparison is Mid 1950's Single Six that has been in my family since it was new. Maybe not a fair comparison. I have a few other Rugers and all seem much better finished.

Thoughts, comments, feeling of any kind appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re fitment

You can't compare a stainless finish to a blue finish. Blue is high polish, stainless is not
Wasen't referring too the polish on the frame, but to the rough quality of the cylinder opening in the frame near the loading gate and on the other side of the frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks a little heavy-handed in some places to me. And not perfect. But I think a trip back to Ruger is going to bear little fruit. It's typical of those that I own.

But, my eyes aren't what the once were, and I often have difficulty picking out the details that people want me to see, especially on this little tablet. Remember when we used to carry actual photographs of our guns in our wallets? and pictures of the wife and kids in the truck's glovebox?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember

Looks a little heavy-handed in some places to me. And not perfect. But I think a trip back to Ruger is going to bear little fruit. It's typical of those that I own.

But, my eyes aren't what the once were, and I often have difficulty picking out the details that people want me to see, especially on this little tablet. Remember when we used to carry actual photographs of our guns in our wallets? and pictures of the wife and kids in the truck's glovebox?
Yes I remember, but don't tell my wife.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Personally I don't see anything that isn't typical Ruger. It's stainless, so get a jewelers file and break some of the edges if you want it slicker

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could do that

Personally I don't see anything that isn't typical Ruger. It's stainless, so get a jewelers file and break some of the edges if you want it slicker
I have the fine files required, I might do that would save the troube of sending it in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just for fun, take a look at the topstrap near the end of the forcing cone. Any grooves there? Just curious...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interesting. I just picked up a .32 H&R stainless that was the same. Apparently, the tap used for the barrel threads sometimes extends into the frame window just a bit.

No issues - mine shoots VERY well. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. I just picked up a .32 H&R stainless that was the same. Apparently, the tap used for the barrel threads sometimes extends into the frame window just a bit.

No issues - mine shoots VERY well. Thanks for looking.
Interestig.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
I would have to agree that it should have been polished better. That said, for me, if the BC gap was good and both cylinders lined up well - then I would just use some 3000-grit automotive sandpaper (foam-backed) to clean up the finish and set the grain to be consistent overall. The seams look pretty good to me so I would be happy with it after I did some touch up polishing… And, unlike my Single-9, at least your loading gate is straight!!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Looks typical to me! Too critical IMO!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My conclusion so far is to just shoot it and clean it up the sharp edges and burrs with a file when I do my first complete disassembly.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All my Ruger SA's, after close inspection, have a slight blemish somewhere! After a few hundred rounds of shooting, I get over it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OCD

All my Ruger SA's, after close inspection, have a slight blemish somewhere! After a few hundred rounds of shooting, I get over it!
I undestand what you you are saying. However I have reached the advanced age where I look more than shoot. Arthritis in the wrists, eyes failing. Still manage a few range trips per month.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts