Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly divided my targets when I was done today into a stack I wanted to keep and show here, and a stack I didn't need to keep because they were sighting in targets or sucked or whatever. I threw out the good stack and brought home the crappy targets so I won't show any here.

Anyway, I didn't have any .22 magnums to try out but I really enjoyed shooting .22 longs in my new Single Six! And not just because it felt good knowing each trigger pull cost me four cents instead of forty.

I actually really like the process of loading and ejecting the shells. I shot 100 rounds through it today and even after just those I was getting a lot better and faster with loading and ejecting. It's a cool mechanism, adding to the coolness of the mechanism of the revolver in general. I just like how they look and work!

The sights, as they were on the only other Ruger I've purchased new (GP100) were WAY off from what they needed to be. Luckily I had a little screwdriver with me to make adjustments.

However, it helps to be a pretty good shot when sighting in a gun. I think I finally narrowed it down by shooting six, moving the rear target down, shooting six, moving it over to the left, etc. Once I did that it was easy to just have fun with it and get to know it a bit. It does appear to be pretty accurate, I was shooting 7 and 10 yards.

I realized I don't have any .22 cleaning supplies, I feel bad about taking a brand new gun out shooting and letting it sit here for a couple days before cleaning it, but I'll get what I need hopefully tomorrow.

Anyway, I recommend this gun for other revolver fans looking for a fun target gun!

I also shot 30 or so rounds through my Winchester Model 94 30-30. That shoots high 100% of the time. But I don't exactly know how to adjust that rear sight vertically, I'll have to look that up also...but that's a fun gun too, in obviously a very different way. All in all, a really fun and productive trip to the range!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
EddieF, don't worry about puting off cleaning your ruger .22 especially the .22lr it's one of the cleanest rounds out there. Sounds like you have an excuse to go back out & shoot again too. Even though I carry the big bores more the .22rf is one sweet gun to shoot & you can learn a lot about shooting from a low recoil .22lr. The pictures of your gun are nice I think you will have years of enjoyment from it. Good shooting. Frank

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Love those Ruger Single Actions, regardless if 45 or 22. Just plain fun to shoot. And that stainless looks great. Won't hurt it none at all to sit a few days. Just wipe her down on the outside and sh'll be fine. Make sure to get any sweat from your hands off and never never spill Coke on your guns! Nice looking factory grips on that one too!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
you have to be a better shot with the 22 it makes a samer hole and there fore you have to be the better shot. They are alot of fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Not only do I really like your gun, but those old keys are really cool. Where did you come up with those?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:Originally posted by rman

Not only do I really like your gun, but those old keys are really cool. Where did you come up with those?
Thanks. At the house I grew up in, my Dad built out the basement in this awesome shrine to American Firearms. He built in coves with racks all throughout the basement, and built a bar and fireplace out of old bricks that had come from a demolished Boston jail. I don't recall how he got the bricks (we lived in Virginia) but that room was his Pride and Joy. The jail keys, to my memory, were just always there. And they were old forty years ago. The ring is welded, it's a solid ring. I wish I had pictures of that basement, but I do have the keys, an old beer cask and a Winchester Model 94 that will always make me think of him and the room he built.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
That is so great. I'm sure they bring back treasured memories.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I had every gun he ever had, I could retire right now!! (if I could part with them, which is a huge IF.) But somehow the fact that I only have one of his guns makes it that much more special.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I'm sure it is special - if you have a son it would be a great heirloom to pass on someday. Enjoy it! I sold a gun one time that belonged to my dad, and I've regretted it ever since. It's amazing how foolish we are when we're young.[V]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts