Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drew an ML tag for mule deer this year.

Decided I wanted an Encore but I couldn’t find any online at anywhere near a reasonable price. Stumbled onto a blued and synthetic one at a local shop on the used rack. Pretty sure it’s unfired. It had a scope which isn’t legal for ML hunts here, so they took it off and gave me another $75 off the rifle.

Now I have a muzzleloader plus a rifle I can put Damn near any barrel on ever.

I made a few small changes. Added some e Williams sights, an e-z tip extractor, and robbed a sling from another rifle I had. Picked up some various bullets to test, got my hands on some 209 primers, now just need to bum some powder from a buddy and I’ll be in business!

·
Administrator
22,301 Posts
Congrats. What are you planning on using in it for powder? Post up a range report once you light it up.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats. What are you planning on using in it for powder? Post up a range report once you light it up.
I’m going to try some 777 and also my buddy is going to let me use some Blackhorn 209 which everybody seems to think is the ultimate. My
Mentor for this stuff hasn’t ever used pellets so I’m starting with loose powder

Planning to use Barnes TMZ or EMZ sabot’s

will definitely post up once I torch it off a few times

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
I have one that I picked up in probably 2001 or 2002. Great rifle, it’s accurate and has accounted for quite a few deer. I found I liked loose 777 better than pellets.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,127 Posts
Nice rifle! I prefer loose powder charges for the flexibility. Plus pellets cost more. Have fun getting ready for your hunt. You did well finding 209 primers.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice rifle! I prefer loose powder charges for the flexibility. Plus pellets cost more. Have fun getting ready for your hunt. You did well finding 209 primers.
When I bought it the shop sold me a sleeve of 410 primers just so I could have some to shoot. I ended up making a trade with a local forum member today for the 209’s. 4 sleeves of small pistol for 6 sleeves of 209’s. He was quite generous and even tossed me some magnum large pistol that he had but didn’t need. So I have something like 700 shotgun primers, which should last me the rest of my life lol.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,127 Posts
When I bought it the shop sold me a sleeve of 410 primers just so I could have some to shoot. I ended up making a trade with a local forum member today for the 209’s. 4 sleeves of small pistol for 6 sleeves of 209’s. He was quite generous and even tossed me some magnum large pistol that he had but didn’t need. So I have something like 700 shotgun primers, which should last me the rest of my life lol.
That should last you quite a while! I have only used a couple of hundred in the last ten years. I would shoot black powder more if someone would clean my gun for me! 😃

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
That should last you quite a while! I have only used a couple of hundred in the last ten years. I would shoot black powder more if someone would clean my gun for me! 😃
LOL ... cleaning a blackpowder barrel has got to be the nastiest oder ever created by man ...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Very nice...congrats on a great find for, I'm guessing, a great price! Kudos!
I am hoping to get something in the muzzle loader category for this fall myself...not sure it'll happen in time!

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,127 Posts
Very nice...congrats on a great find for, I'm guessing, a great price! Kudos!
I am hoping to get something in the muzzle loader category for this fall myself...not sure it'll happen in time!
Start early. It might take some experimenting to find the projectile/ powder charge combo your rifle likes. Then you need to learn the trajectory. Then you need to find out where the rifle hits from a clean bore. Mine hits 6" off at 50yds, so I always fire a couple of fouling shots when I get to camp to season the bore. Then I know where my shot at game will go. It cost me a couple of deer to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have an Encore with walnut furniture I received in a trade for a cheap, police trade in S&W automatic. Nice guns, great triggers.

I put a Nikon on mine and shoot 209 primers with Pyrodex pellets. The pellets shoot about as good as loose powder for me. Currently using Hornady 240 grain, 44 magnum XTP hollow points in 50 caliber sabots. Only hunted 3 seasons with it and took a doe during each one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts