Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that Lipsey's SP101 in another thread. Beautiful gun and it reminded me of my thoughts on the perfect SP (for me) and how it seems that whenever a new gun is introduced there are plenty of, “I would buy it if.....” comments. I don't want to be one of those people, but I am afraid I am. I have been avoiding a local gun shop because they have a 3” Kimber K6 DASA. The fit and finish are beautiful. I love the fact that the rear 3 dot sight is not dovetailed in the middle of the top strap. (like the Talo version) Most of all, I like the fact the the cylinder is only .041” bigger than the SP101 and yet it holds one more round. I don't care for the price but quality often comes with a price. I know Ruger has the technology to build a cylinder that could compare with Kimber's, and I am a faithful Ruger customer. (7 Ruger handguns which I love) I would be very happy if Ruger used their custom shop to build a competitor to the Kimber. I would pay the premium price for it. I will probably end up with the Kimber, but I would prefer a comparable Ruger. Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree with you. A SP cylinder is about 1.35" dia. and the Kimber 1.39" so the cylinder would not need much increase in size. From Ruger's viewpoint I think it could lead to increased sales of SP guns and offer a 6 shot gun in a lighter configuration.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with you. A SP cylinder is about 1.35" dia. and the Kimber 1.39" so the cylinder would not need much increase in size. From Ruger's viewpoint I think it could lead to increased sales of

I also agree, as long as a 6 shot SP doesn't turn into the problem the 7 shot GP is having with cylinder binding due to not enough space between cartridge rims.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"I also agree, as long as a 6 shot SP doesn't turn into the problem the 7 shot GP is having with cylinder binding due to not enough space between cartridge rims."

I think after the 7 shot problem Ruger may have learned something. The answer lies in the measurement of cylinder axis to bore center. If Ruger's is equal to or greater than the Kimber then no problem. Otherwise, they would need a new frame to allow moving the barrel higher.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Better sights, 6 vs 5 rounds, better trigger, better fit and finish, 23 oz vs 26 are pluses for the Kimber. I've read grip options are limited and some folks have complained the grip on the Kimber doesn't fit them well. I considered one but chose a slightly used SP101 2.25" DAO($450 OTD) mostly due to price. I don't regret my choice and the SP suits the purpose I bought it for. If you're OK with the price of the Kimber and want a more refined gun you may be happier with it vs SP.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Kimber K6s 2" DAO and I love it. Finest production DA I've ever run. I spent twenty years as a LEO shooting DAO revolvers, the Kimber is a gift, a great shooter and mine has the big blocky nightsights that are so nice.

Lots of folks badmouth the Kimber roundgun but the same thing happened when the Volkswagen was introduced, function over vanity.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I’m OK with my SP101.

The six round cylinder is a good engineering and metallurgy exercise.

This goes back to the questions, price vs. performance, accuracy, reliability, and weapon track record.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I just sent a comment to Ruger regarding this question. I realize no company can be every thing to everybody and I am not suggesting that my personal circumstance in any way reflects market practicalities. I checked this forum and noticed the Kimber K6 received solid reviews which means a quality product closely matching my desires exists and is not out of reach. (Life is Good!) That said, given the rock solid reputation of the SP101 my first choice would be a slicked out SP with upgraded sights and a trim 6 shot (38/357) cylinder. I am curious to see if Ruger dismisses the idea out of hand, or gives any indication that there is any practical merit to it from their vantage point.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Nope! You're not alone. That Lipsey's SP101 is a looker. I especially like the adjustable sights. A 3" SP101 is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the Lipsey's SP101 as well, but so far have managed to convince myself it serves no purpose for me. (I did pick up one of the 5-inch half-lug GP100s, so yeah, it's still talking to me.)

One of the things Kimber did to enable the small cylinder diameter is to offset the cylinder stop all the way to the right in the frame. It actually bears against the inside surface of the side plate, not against the frame. This offsets the stop notches in the cylinder so they are between the chambers (like in a Ruger or S&W with an odd number of chambers), so the OD walls of the chamber can be thinner. It would take a major redesign of the SP101 to accomplish that.

The Kimber also uses the smaller Colt chamber circle diameter, rather than the K frame chamber circle diameter.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Something Else To Consider

To be honest.. I have a 3" LCRX357 that I really like a lot. I installed a HiViz front sight and that coupled with the adustable rear sight makes it easy to tune to specific ammo. The frame and cylinder are stainless and it weighs in at 21 oz. empty. I installed a Hogue Tamer grip off one of my LCR's on it so I can conceal it better. I'm now using it as my EDC in rotation with my LCR357. I ran a 100 rounds of .38 Spcl +p reloads filled with 5 gr of Hodgdon Titegroup today and it handled the recoil very well.

I really love my SP101 but that 3" LCRX is gaining in popularity.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OlongJohnson, - I think you identified the glitch that ultimately will crush my hope. I noticed how far that cylinder stop was offset in the Kimber, but I didn't look/think ahead to what that would mean to “customizing” the SP for a 6 chamber (38/357) cylinder. I appreciate the positive suggestions from everyone, and they are sound and very close alternatives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, Taurus still found a way to make the 856. So I don't see why Ruger couldn't make something fairly close to an SP with a K frame-like cylinder circle. Should be smaller and lighter but perhaps more durable than a K frame. Of course, the argument against that is it would be too close to the discontinued Speed/Service Six.

End of the day, I am unable to come up with an argument for owning a wheelgun in between a J frame and the GP. Outside of deciding to focus on IDPA with a Model 67, that space is better occupied by bottom feeders. At least for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts