Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing much research, I decided my wife may get more into shooting if we get her a SP101 in .327 Federal. Planning to shoot the lower kicking .32 ammo choices, and try the H&R Mag, but probably not the .327 Federal (though my boys and I probably will).

The revolver will hopefully ship out to us in the next week or so. Any pointers will be much appreciated. My wife likes revolvers and she likes the LCR trigger very much, but the .38 sp kick was too much for her to shoot more than 5 rounds a session.

I'm waiting to see how hard the DA trigger will be for her. She has arthritis in her hands, but not terribly. I've read some come in at about 9.5 lbs, and some are over 12 lbs. If it's too hard for her, we may order different springs. Any recommendations on that will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice gun I have one in .357 and my wife is the same way about 10 shots of light 38's and she's done (carpletonnel) but loves the gun. Never tested the trigger pull but have seen some spring kits to lower the pull some .
Good luck

·
Registered
915 Posts
After doing much research, I decided my wife may get more into shooting if we get her a SP101 in .327 Federal. Planning to shoot the lower kicking .32 ammo choices, and try the H&R Mag, but probably not the .327 Federal (though my boys and I probably will).

I have the SP 101 in 357 with the 2&1/4 inch barrel it is a hand full when shooting the 357 mag loads but I can handle the 38+p just fine I would have gotten the 327 federal model but it is almost impossible to find the 32 mag ammo in my area I think you and your wife are going to enjoy the 327 model very much

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
All else equal, I'd rate the 327 to be closer to a 357 than a 38+P as far as felt recoil. I had the 327 in the SP and the 85 grain SD rounds were stout; the 100 grain loads just plain hurt and I'm a gal that shoots the big stuff in other pistols - I am by no means recoil shy. If I had it to do over, again, I would get the 357 SP and be done with it. There wasn't enough of a difference between the 327 and the 357 in the SP, now that I've shot both versions, for me to justify the ammo availability hassle of the 327.

If she does not like standard 38s in the LCR, DO NOT let her shoot 327s or she may sour on shooting, completely. The added weight of the SP over the LCR may make the 38s in the SP a viable option for her, though and 38s are much easier to find than 32 H&Rs, not to mention that the 38 is a better SD load.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
clintnc, reading your OP it sounds like you have a .327 SP101 headed your way so I'll limit my comments to the springs part of your question. I've put several Wolff Shooter's Paks in SP101s and GP100s and they can make a big difference in both SA and DA modes. It helps to smooth up the internals a bit too. I have not changed out springs in a gun I might carry but in my "range guns" I have put in the lightest springs, hammer and trigger return, that come in the Wolff pak. I have since shot hundreds of rounds of .357 and .38 (my SPs are both .357 models) from several manufacturers and also handloads and I have yet to experience a light strike. My thought was to start as light as possible and if I had a light strike I would swap out the hammer spring for the next heavier one. Haven't had to yet. This is in 2 SP101s and 2 GP100s so that's 4 revolvers with basically the same trigger group and action. It's an inexpensive modification too - around $10 (Midway, Brownell's, Triggershims.com, etc.)

The Wolff stock nbr. is 17113

Good luck with your new SP101. They're great revolvers.

Wave

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife and I have the 2" and 4" models (as the picture shows) and she shoots .38s out of each without any difficulty. She's a lot more accurate with the 4" model.
We tried the .327 but it had too much kick for her so you might want to rethink that option.
Regarding springs, the hammer pull is 14 pounds from the factory and I put 10 pound springs in both models. It makes a world of difference and we haven't had any light strikes.
Enjoy your Rugers. They're great revolvers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the SP101 327 Fed 3" put in a 9lb spring (no light primer strikes yet in 200 rounds) and did a little buff while I had it apart. Made a world of difference in trigger pull. I also added a Houge Mono grip and it lightened the perceived felt recoil quite q bit. I have read some opinions that the Hogue grip makes it hard to cover up for concealed carry but I carry mine in a OWB holster and have no trouble making it disappear.
And have no trouble in my area finding factory ammo but reload my own and can make the 327 as mild as I want or load it up to full bore boomer.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
All else equal, I'd rate the 327 to be closer to a 357 than a 38+P as far as felt recoil. I had the 327 in the SP and the 85 grain SD rounds were stout; the 100 grain loads just plain hurt and I'm a gal that shoots the big stuff in other pistols - I am by no means recoil shy.
And you forgot to mention muzzle blast. .327 Federal is snappy stuff, and the noise might even be worse to deal with than recoil for beginners.

I'd lay in a supply of Starline .32 H&R magnum brass, and load to that level if recoil is an issue, or of course factory stuff if you don't reload. The Federal 95gr LSWC is much milder, and still has an edge over smaller auto rounds or .22LR.

My daughter started shooting a handgun a couple years back, and latched onto my 3" J frame. She can burn through a hundred rounds at skeet on a Saturday, and my .30-30 is no problem. But full power .38's with a 160gr SWC was not on her list of favorites. I load 140gr Hornady Cowboy bullets over 4.0gr of W231. The load gets about 800fps +/-, blast and recoil are moderate. 3.0gr of Red Dot with a 148gr Remington WC is even milder.

I think there's more ways to make a .38 do tricks, than a .32.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. As I said, my wife will probably not shoot 327 rounds, unless we eventually get into reloading. Right now, I'm still seeing decently priced .32 S&W long ammo and the plan is for her to carry .32 H&R magnum, IF she ends up carrying. The original intent in acquiring this weapon is to get my wife practicing enough to get comfortable with it. Her dad had her cleaning and even bluing guns but she didn't ever like shooting them. Once he gave her a .357 Ruger Blackhawk to shoot, and laughed when it bruised her hand. Are you fathers listening????

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm female, 50's, with injuries to both shoulder and hands (not complaining, as I had fun with high injury sports over the years) so when I purchased my SP101 I immediately had a lighter spring and Hague (Hogue?) grips put on which helped me handle the gun soooo much better! Easier to pull the trigger and the Hogue grips helped a lot with the recoil. Neither were expensive upgrades. If you have anyplace nearby to take a class for two days (instead of a couple of hours) she might get more comfortable with it too. Good luck and thanks for the Father's comment. Very enlightening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clintnc: I also purchased an SP101 in .327 Fed Mag recently. Sweet gun! It will become my girlfreind's once she gets her CCP.
Like others in this thread, I added the Hogue mono-grip and a lighter main spring (the 9 lb one from the Wolff Shooters Kit). My GF likes shooting it much more now after those modifications.
However, need to make sure you clean it thoroughly after shooting the .32S&WL ammo.
The shorter cases tend to leave nasty powder/carbon rings in the chambers. And some brands of ammo are worse about this than others.
Then if you try to shoot the longer .32H&R Mag or .327 Mag ammo, the spent cases can "stick" in the chambers.
There are a couple of threads related to this problem here on the forum.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good comments. I had heard about build-up after shooting the "shorter" calibers and experienced a little of that: hard to clean afterward.
I believe our SP101 has a relatively lighter trigger, because my wife is able to shoot double action without trouble. I'm thinking the Hogue grips may help some too. I can tell you, that I wouldn't want this SP101 to have any lighter trigger pull, if I was carrying it. I have a feeling it is around 9#, but I'm guessing.
I sure hope both the .32H&R and the .327 Federal Magnum stay around a while. I am looking into reloading, but the current ammo scare has supplies kinda scarce right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.