Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 inch barrel. Got it from Starnes FFL at the Gun Show in Houston TX for $475. The trigger was stiff. I thought about swapping in the Wolff spring but after 100 round and a lot of dry firing, it has gotten a lot smoother now so I think I'll be alright without it. About Hogue grips, I have small hands so the pinky can still grip the bottom of the pistol and the middle finger was not rubbing on the trigger housing. Bone stock is fine. However sometimes when I press the trigger, it got stuck half way and the cylinder won't spin to the next round. Is this normal? Is it still breaking in?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440893310.449544.jpg

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Congrats. That's a good price for a new SP. Cylinder not advancing is definitely not normal but could be caused by a small burr or just some gunk under the ejector star. Clean it good and shoot it some more. If it does it much longer it might need a trip back to Ruger

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have a 3" SP101. It was my primary carry weapon until I met Mr Glock. Once I grew fond of the Glock the SP101 has been relegated to something I shove in my pocket for late night store runs. At least I use it enough to keep the stainless shiny.

Once you wear the new off your SP101 send it to a good gunsmith. Not an AR assembler, a real gunsmith with the proper tools to smooth out and accurize your pistol. If you don't see a machine to stone parts properly just walk out. You can do a Dremel tool job yourself.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Congrats! And, a good price to boot. You've saved enough money on it to swap out those awful Ruger plastic grip panels with a nice set of Chig's. I just received another pair of his panels today – there are even better than before and a steal at $23 shipped.

I know it sounds like I am advertising for him for a piece of the action – I have no association with him at all and I just can't believe how nice they are for such a reasonable price. I received a set in bocote wood and the set I ordered tonight will be in zebrawood. And, yes – I have many more grips than I have SP-101's ... :(

·
Banned
650 Posts
Congrats! And, a good price to boot. You've saved enough money on it to swap out those awful Ruger plastic grip panels with a nice set of Chig's. I just received another pair of his panels today – there are even better than before and a steal at $23 shipped.

I know it sounds like I am advertising for him for a piece of the action – I have no association with him at all and I just can't believe how nice they are for such a reasonable price. I received a set in bocote wood and the set I ordered tonight will be in zebrawood. And, yes – I have many more grips than I have SP-101's ... :(
Sounds like you need to sell some grips. :)

·
Administrator
22,142 Posts
Congrats on getting a great little revolver. Shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I hope you learn to love that sweet little gun. Shoot it enough to get the feel of it before you make a lot of changes. You may like it enough to get by with little or no mods. Nice buy.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I left the original Xenon (?) grip inserts in place, as I've heard that wooden inserts can crack under heavy recoil.

All I really did was to run a couple of drops of oil into the action and let the gun wear-in from normal use.

I may eventually install Hogue grips. But I suspect that if they're in place, the gun may not fit into the factory box. ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I left the original Xenon (?) grip inserts in place, as I've heard that wooden inserts can crack under heavy recoil.

All I really did was to run a couple of drops of oil into the action and let the gun wear-in from normal use.

I may eventually install Hogue grips. But I suspect that if they're in place, the gun may not fit into the factory box. ??
No it will not.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
News to me, also, on the wood inserts cracking under recoil. I think I would probably be damaged before the grip inserts would crack!! But, I have been wrong before. The latest inserts I received are noticeably thicker than the (very nice BTW) Ruger-logo inserts that come with the 4-inch SP-101 .22 and the Novak edition. Chig has incorporated a palm-swell into his recent wood inserts and they look pretty strong to me.

I've got one more set due in from Chig + one more Altamont checkered rubber grip - I will post a photo once the new inserts are installed ...

Besides the fact that he does beautiful work - the only reason I keep bragging about C's inserts is I am on a fixed income - and when I can get something really nice for $23 I'm all happy and stuff ... ;). $23 won't even buy a 20-rd box of .38 Spec hollowpoints anymore ... :(

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Congrats on a new 3" SP101...a gun you'll enjoy for years!

I purchased my 2.25" SP101 in December 1994...I'm wearing it on a quick trip to NC right now. It was my primary EDC for 10 years and is still my 'staple' go-to handgun for certain activities (such as outdoor hiking, etc.

I, too, have small hands and I prefer the Badger Boot grips over the factory (Lett rubber grip + plastic insert) or the Hogue Rubber grip (the Hogue wood grips are not comfortable due to their size.)

Jarwan, from Thailand (ebay) makes some nice wood grips that fit my hand pretty good too!

Meprolight and XS Sights both make an excellent tritium front night sight for the SP101...I have the Meps on all my SP101's!

My favorite OWB holster for the SP101 is the Bianchi Model 7 3-slot holster...it allows cross-draw while sitting in a vehicle or while wearing a winter coat / jacket / vest.

Hope you enjoy for many years to come!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts