·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep that is pretty tight group alright.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Unfortunately, that's only 7 yards - my old eyes don't let me shoot a whole lot further than that and still group good.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

Nice group rman. Does it shoot higher with the 158gr bullets? Dead on hold or 6 o'clock?
Yeah, but only about an inch to and inch and a half. That was a dead on hold. I may have to take a file to the front sight, but I want to change springs and shoot it some more first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My SP101 has won me over. I love the thing, tough as nails, and accurate. It had a bite to it with 180 grain hot stuff, so I put a Hogue grip on it and now it's a LOT easier on the hand that feeds it. LOL I carry 140 grain hot stuff in it, hits POA and very accurate and shootable.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They sure grow on you, don't they.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Great gun the SP-series. I had the 101 with C/T Lasers grips and it was dead on at 7yds. I also have the old tired eyes Rman and them C/T's helped a lot. I loss the gun in a trade to get my wife one she always wanted but I still got the C/T's. I got to get one like you got. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Baldy - took it to the range last night. That was the first trip since I got the action slicked up a little. It really shoots nice. Got enough weight to it that .38 Specs feel like shooting .22s.

·
Registered
292 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

Winchester .38 Special 125 Gr. JHP's

I just bought a SP101 for concealed carry. It shoots great with 125 gr. 357. Not as much recoil as I was lead to believe. I have read that 125 grain 357 are the lightest that should be shot in a snub nose revolver. Something to do with not enough surface area to hold the bullet in place under heavy recoil. I have a box of 110 gr Winchesters. They have a rather haevy crimp. Do you think they will work alright?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My preference is 125 or heavier, but I wouldn't worry about the 110s. I think the story about the bullets not staying in place with recoil is false. Actually, heavier bullets should be more of a problem then the light ones because they have more inertia working against them. The factories put a heavy crimp on them, so I just wouldn't worry about. The 110s are probably not optimum - especially in a short barrel, but they should shoot fine. (Lots of muzzle blast I suspect!)

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks - probably have to credit that to the gun. I shoot a lot of them that don't look like that!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 15AcreWoods

quote:Originally posted by rman

Winchester .38 Special 125 Gr. JHP's

I just bought a SP101 for concealed carry. It shoots great with 125 gr. 357. Not as much recoil as I was lead to believe. I have read that 125 grain 357 are the lightest that should be shot in a snub nose revolver. Something to do with not enough surface area to hold the bullet in place under heavy recoil. I have a box of 110 gr Winchesters. They have a rather haevy crimp. Do you think they will work alright?
Wifey loves the 110 Grain Winchesters in .357 Magnum JHP in her SP-101 2 1/4" Snubbie... The fire ball isn't that bad either...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts