Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finish on the satin SS seems a little dull and scratched on this new gun. what product would I use to polish the surface before trying to take any scratches out or would you return to Ruger to have it done right?

Is there a 1-2-3 step that I could use with the clean and lube a new gun without totally dismantling of the gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
You can get any level of finish you want with Mother’s Mag polish. I made my SP-101 a bit shinier that way. Good luck!

·
Exchequer
4,429 Posts
How bad are the scratches? Bad enough or deep enough that it shouldn't have been sold that way?

Regarding cleaning and lubricating. No need to fully dismantle the revolver. Just follow the basic cleaning instructions in the manual.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
What you describe sounds like Ruger's standard brushed finish. As mentioned by other's, Mother's is a good choice to give a nice sheen...but be careful...to much and you won't be able to look at it in the sunlight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Grey (NOT maroon , NOT green) scotch brite pad is great for maintaining a brushed finish if that is what you like . Of course follow the pattern as it is brushed now.
I prefer the gentle , slow polish of just using Mothers' after a shooting binge as a rub down for cleaning.
For me , the brushed finish traps a lot of black carbon funk and a mild polish cleans easier. I don't sit down with the intention of polishing , it's just part of cleaning and the more often you do it the shiner it gets . The gun always looks new no matter what sins it has been subjected to and scotch brite can always return it to factory brushed .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts