Ruger Forum banner

new sp101

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  robruger 
#1 ·
I just got a new sp101 they didn't have one with adjustable sights. so I had to get fixed sights can they be changed to adjustable night sights ? and what might I be spending to have this done?

#2 ·
Congratulations!!!

There are companies that make a night sight front sight replacement for fixed sight guns such as your SP101. Try XSSights and meprolights for starters. As for the rear sight, if that is fixed as well, I personally am not aware of a night sight that replaces it, but in either a quick google search of a few different sight maker's sights or a fes posts from people more knowledgable than I you should be able to find out.

#3 ·
Adjustable night sights can be done but it will be custom. People on these boards have had adjustable S&W rear sights added readily with matching front sights. Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision is one who does this but many others do, too. I believe several companies make adjustable tritium sights for S&W's so one would use this as opposed to the standard rear sight along with the correct height tritium front. Here is a link to Meprolight:

Kimber America > Products

#4 ·
so I had to get fixed sights can they be changed to adjustable night sights ? and what might I be spending to have this done?
Guessing you "had" to get a 3" SP101, you can have adjustable sights installed by a good gunsmith. "Good Gunsmiths" do not grow on trees, and if they charge $100-150/hr for their service, they are worth every dime. Figure 3 hrs + the sight.

Gunsmiths have shop overhead, they spend a lot of money on equipment, and after all is said and done, they also need to feed the family, and pay to keep the lights on when the sun goes down, and some even like heat in the winter.

So, you can get sights installed. On the other hand SP101's seem to shoot most loads to an acceptable point of impact at 15-25yds. With several loads. Pick a load that does what you want it to do, at the range you want it to shoot, and see if the cost for the flexibility of adjustable sights is worth your money.

I wanted to shoot everything from 110-180gr, from 25-50yds, so I jumped on the 4" with adjustable sights. Well worth the wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.