Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got sp101 357 mag. I've shot 5 rounds so far but need to know if it's ok to shoot cheaper round nose 38 lead in this gun or not? just for practice ammo.

/

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You can shoot 38 special round nose lead ammo but you may need to clean the barrel more often. Copper plated ammo doesnt lead the barrel near as much. Lead build up will effect accuracy, but cleaning will restore things back to normal.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Be sure and pay special attention to the cylinder chambers and clean them good after shooting any 38 special ammo other-wise you will get a build up in the cylinder due to the 38 being shorter than the 357 round

·
Registered
845 Posts
you can get some sales on 38spcl copper round nose... not as cheap a lead, but less cleaning... about 12bux for a box of 50. Cheaper by the case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you for your time to help me with this . I've had auto's but this is my first revolver in 25 yrs. and I don't want to mess it up. in my old one i could shoot lead all the time it's all we had. again thanks

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You really have to work on messing up a 101 to succeed at doing it. I have fired all sorts of ammo through revolvers and if you use lead bullets, like thay said, prepare to spend more time cleaning the barrel and cylinder.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The hard cast bullets are not too bad, but soft lead wadcutter do require more cleaning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've found that a lead cleaning cloth is quite helpful. There are several brands (Kleen Bore, Hoppes, USAMidway) and they all do a good job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts