Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodmorning and happy 2016 to all.

I'm currently considering dumping my Kahr PM9 that serves as my EDC weapon for an SP101. I've owned a couple SP's over the years and have always wound up trading them towards something "lighter", "smaller", or "more concealable" and after a year or so of being without a revolver, I always end up wanting one again! I guess I'll always have a special place for a wheelgun in my heart

Anyways...

I currently have a used SP101 in the 2" barrel on hold at my LGS. Comes with the 303 CT laser grips, graded at 90%. Asking price is $475. Hope to go look at it today and get a better idea of it. I'm still on the fence of 2" vs 3" having owned 2 2" models and never a 3. It would be and EDC weapon, and would also be a woods/nightstand/truck gun, and see a lot of carry throughout the spring/summer and fall in a sling pack while fly fishing. (Think exposure to water = stainless.)

I haven't looked at a new SP in person in a while, but do the new models no longer have engraving on the left side of the barrel? From pics I've seen online it looks like some don't say "Newport, NH" Or CT, etc.

What would you do? Trade the PM9? Keep it and save for an SP? $475 seems to be a fair price for the gun with grips if it's in good condition. I could always put it on layaway with just 20% down now to secure it and pay for it over the next 2 months and keep the PM9, but money is a little tight having just come out of the holidays.

Lastly, 2" or 3"? Concealability is a concern, the Kahr nearly disappears when carried IWB ad the 4 o clock position. I've previously carried 3" 45's and a glock 19 in the same spot with success other than in the summer months with just a t shirt (printing issues).

Help me decide :)

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
It appears conceal-ability is your primary goal, I would think the 2" is the way to go.

Never sell guns. Save for the next one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
With the same size frame, 2 or 3 inch doesn't make any difference. I carry a 3" Taurus 85 IWB crossdraw at 11 o'clock without a problem. Sounds like you've semi committed to the 2" unless the shop has a 3" to try the fit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 3 inch SP101 and It's just right for carry and accurate with the 3 inch that Extra inch makes a difference.......?$%

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have 2". If I could do it again I would do the 3. Most of your issues with concealing is in the grip and the frame, not barrel length. I would go 3.

As far as trading, I would try to keep the kahr. I've traded or sold guns and regretted it. I've made it a goal to keep my guns now, even the dreaded glock tht I have.

That's a great price, especially with the CT grips. If you can get the cash in a couple months, then why trade?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
After shooting both, I went with the 3". More personal preference than anything. The info that used to be on the left side of the barrel is now on the underside - a big improvement IMO.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Fly4Fish:

Is you local Kittery Trading Post? The last few times I have been there I have walked away due to their pricing. Doesn't sound like a bad price on the SP though. My SP is a 2 1/4" and I carry in a Supertuck IWB holster. The key to carry is a good stiff belt.

My thought is keep the firearm you are confident in carrying and get the SP over time. That gives you a couple of options for carry. I carry a S&W 642 in the pocket or when the weather is cooler the SP in the Supertuck.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, local is KTP. At least that's where the used SP is at. They have seemed a bit steep on pricing lately. And understaffed behind the counter. Too many tire-kickers from out of state who are unfamiliar with the buying process/residency requirements!

Heading out to fondle both the 2" and 3" models shortly. Will report back with my findings :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a 3 inch SP101 and It's just right for carry and accurate with the 3 inch that Extra inch makes a difference.......?$%

I also carry a new 3.06" bbl SP101. It is not much longer than the 2.25"bbl SP101 that I sold years ago. I prefer shooting the 3.06" barrel length over the 2.25" length. It feels better and I shoot the 3.06" like a tack driver.

For me, the 3.06" bbl balances way better. This gun is a keeper for me!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451666905.813094.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451666839.366674.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
In my opinion, you should keep the Kahr, and get the 3" SP. You say woods gun, so the 3" is better. When I go into the woods, I carry my EDC strong side hip and my 3" Sp101 weak side hip for 4 legged critters. 3" has significantly better ballsitics than the 2" for a woods gun. I am more accurate with the 3" that I was with the 2" I used to have. Recoil is a little tamer with the 3".

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have owned 2", 3", and 4" SP101s in 357. Shooting the 2" and 3" side by side, I could see no difference between the two, and the balance didn't seem much different either. The accuracy was the same, as far as I could tell. Velocity would be a bit higher with the 3" and that might squeeze out a little more performance, but with 357, I doubt you would see the any difference in actual effectiveness.

I traded away my 3" 357 SP101, and kept the 2" and 4".

If I was buying an SP101 357 again, and the choice was 2" or 3", knowing what I know now about both barrel lengths, I would choose the 2"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went for it. And am keeping the Kahr. They were only going to offer $450 for a trade (very low!) because they currently have at least 5 other PM9's in inventory. I beat them down another $25 on the Ruger and scored it for $450. Noticed in the case there was a hammer spring in a bag (forgot the company the spring came from) and an HKS speedloader. Makes me wonder if lighter springs have already been installed. And now I'll have 2 speedloaders to go with it. Gun has been shot, but lockup felt tight and everything seemed pretty good. I am happy with my decision.

Only issue is I had to place it on layaway because the line was UNREAL. Didn't feel like standing around for over an hour for the NICS check and checkout. Will pay it down over the next few weeks and now the PM9 will have another companion. Time to start holster shopping!

Thanks again for all your input. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you're looking for holsters, check out UBG Holsters or a Simply Rugged. I have an IWB UBG and the pancake from simply rugged and love both. UBG is looking at 5-7 weeks on order right now, not sure about simply rugged. Only hard part is tryin to decide which one! I just ordered an LCR and can't decide which one to order for it

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have owned 2", 3", and 4" SP101s in 357. Shooting the 2" and 3" side by side, I could see no difference between the two, and the balance didn't seem much different either. The accuracy was the same, as far as I could tell. Velocity would be a bit higher with the 3" and that might squeeze out a little more performance, but with 357, I doubt you would see the any difference in actual effectiveness.

I traded away my 3" 357 SP101, and kept the 2" and 4".

If I was buying an SP101 357 again, and the choice was 2" or 3", knowing what I know now about both barrel lengths, I would choose the 2"

Interesting side-by-side analysis.

My experience between my 2.25" and my 3.06" came 7-8 years apart. For whatever the reason, I enjoy my newer 3.06" more than I ever did my 2.25" SP. As they say, YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd opt for the 3 inch as well. The extra inch in barrel length doesn't hinder concealability and may in fact, keep the gun more stable on your belt. I carry in the AIWB position and have found that shorter barrel weapons tend to want to flip out of my pants, even with very good holsters.

Regarding the PM9, I would keep it. I have one and it fulfills roles other guns cannot. I sometimes carry mine in the front pocket of slacks using an El Paso Saddlery pocket holster. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SP

So did you get the 3 or 2" one, or did I miss your reply. I had the same situation you did, had been carrying a CM-9, and always liked the revolver. Started with revolvers many years ago, kinda come full circle, always wanted the SP and finally recently purchased one with 3" barrel. Really enjoy shooting it and can hit pretty well with it, once I get the tri-focals lined up, etc. I kept the CM, dont want to get rid of anything. I am now in search of a good IWB and OWB holster for the SP. Will be waching for suggestions on the holsters, etc. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts