Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)I too just purchased an SR 22. It has a lot to live up to. I've had a MkII for twelve years and a Single Six for eight. Also my wife has a Bear Cat, so lots of nice Ruger rimfires around. The cartridge case is dated 9/12 so it's very recent manufacture. I've run around 140 rnds of Remington bulk through it with zero malfunctions, a mag of CCI Mini Mags with no issues but today I put a hundred rounds of Federal bulk and had quite a few failures to feed. Very nice shooing little gun. I've always liked the Walther P22's for looks and size but the early magazine issues and the zinc slide always kept me away. I did put in the O ring for a buffer and so far it works well. I'm pleased but will withhold recommending them until I get more rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Got mine in yeaterday and I can't wait to shoot it tomorrow...... Chose it over the Walther because reviews said that they are more picky about ammo. Plus I have loved my LCR 357 so the Ruger won out.....

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
tcallre - did the federal failures happen before or after you added the o-ring? One thing I've also found is that hollow points have more feed problems, so as a rule I don't use them in any auto-loader. The bigger the HP, the more problems.

I've got 2500-3000rnds through mine without the ring and no problems.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've got two SR22's both with about 2500 rds of Federal jhp's thru both. one SR has an o ring the other doesn't both of mine run great on the Ferderal JHP's. I had one to the range the other day ran 500 rds of Federal thru it with no problems at all. No fail to feed or fail to fires. I don't like Remmington goldens to dirty and have problems with them. I don't fine any difference in preformance between the one with thee o ring and the one without other then the one with the o ring has a buffered recoil feel to it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Okay please explain the o ring thing, is this something that needs to be done and if so any info on where to get the o ring & how to install it would be welcome as I just got my SR-22 on Sat and only have 140 rds through it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
:)I too just purchased an SR 22. It has a lot to live up to. I've had a MkII for twelve years and a Single Six for eight.
Congratulations on your purchase.
I wouldn't be optimistic about it being in the same class as the MKII & Single Six though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase!!! I love mine...all these people getting SR22s makes me want to go to the range again....love shooting this gun and it is economical...I am sure that you will have many great range days ahead of you...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Okay please explain the o ring thing, is this something that needs to be done and if so any info on where to get the o ring & how to install it would be welcome as I just got my SR-22 on Sat and only have 140 rds through it.
It's not something that has to be done. It started over at rimfire central on the Walter P22's and carried overr to the SR22's due to failures of the take down lever on the SR22's . It's like the bolt buffer Kidd makes for the 10/22's. It's a 3/8"od x 1/4" in x 1/16" thick o ring placed over the recoil spring to buffer the recoil aganist the take down lever. I haven';t seen to many posts any more about take lever failure so it my have been a bad batch of them. But there is now an after market one that's stronger then the one Ruger designed. I have two SR22's one with the o ring and one without it. They both perform the same except the recoil on the o ring one is a little softer. You can feel the difference if you rack the slide back by hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tcallre - did the federal failures happen before or after you added the o-ring? One thing I've also found is that hollow points have more feed problems, so as a rule I don't use them in any auto-loader. The bigger the HP, the more problems.

I've got 2500-3000rnds through mine without the ring and no problems.
I installed the O ring before I fired a shot. When I started having troubles with the Federals I took it out and found I still had FTF. The Remington and CCI had no issues but while I shot around 120rnds of Remington, I just fired off one mag of CCI's. It seems that most folks are having good luck with Federal bulk, maybe it's just this lot or my pistol.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Thanks, to you and gmsoapy. I've not tried it yet, trying to decide if its really helping anything real or voodoo engineering.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks, to you and gmsoapy. I've not tried it yet, trying to decide if its really helping anything real or voodoo engineering.
As I said it's kind of like the bolt buffer Kidd sells for the 10/22's. You can definetly feel the diff when you rack the slide by hand. the o rings are cheap eough at Home depot. Like I said I have one SR with it and one with out. The guys over at rim fire central found out it helped with the Walter P22's. Which seem to have a problem with their slides deforming as the are cast out some soft material. I do know that when I fire the one with the o ring the sound of the recoil is alot softer. No metal slaming into the take down lever.

·
Registered
69 Posts
:)I too just purchased an SR 22. It has a lot to live up to. I've had a MkII for twelve years and a Single Six for eight. Also my wife has a Bear Cat, so lots of nice Ruger rimfires around. The cartridge case is dated 9/12 so it's very recent manufacture. I've run around 140 rnds of Remington bulk through it with zero malfunctions, a mag of CCI Mini Mags with no issues but today I put a hundred rounds of Federal bulk and had quite a few failures to feed. Very nice shooing little gun. I've always liked the Walther P22's for looks and size but the early magazine issues and the zinc slide always kept me away. I did put in the O ring for a buffer and so far it works well. I'm pleased but will withhold recommending them until I get more rounds through it.
Okay ! Sorry, that just made me chuckle, got your point though. ;) I will go out on a limb and recomend them, bought mine may 2013, 4,500 rounds! FTF,FTF,FTE,FTC, uh yea, it shoots dirty filthy cheap 22 ammo, its bound to happen, ball park on missfires or extraction issues in 4,500 rounds ? 15-20, maybe, failure to chamber a round, (0), now for the kicker, this little tough guy has never been cleaned or field stripped, no o-ring buffer fix, or guide rod spring issues, i shoot it every day on my way to work and son abuses it and a 22/45 on sunday, 22/45 has roughly 8,000 rounds down the pipe and has only been feild stripped and cleaned four times, were going to shoot the SR till it stops to see just how long it will go with out a feild strip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay ! Sorry, that just made me chuckle, got your point though. ;) I will go out on a limb and recomend them, bought mine may 2013, 4,500 rounds! FTF,FTF,FTE,FTC, uh yea, it shoots dirty filthy cheap 22 ammo, its bound to happen, ball park on missfires or extraction issues in 4,500 rounds ? 15-20, maybe, failure to chamber a round, (0), now for the kicker, this little tough guy has never been cleaned or field stripped, no o-ring buffer fix, or guide rod spring issues, i shoot it every day on my way to work and son abuses it and a 22/45 on sunday, 22/45 has roughly 8,000 rounds down the pipe and has only been feild stripped and cleaned four times, were going to shoot the SR till it stops to see just how long it will go with out a feild strip.
This is good news! I know there's probably more SR22's like yours out there than problem pistols. I'd imagine there are more Walther P22's that are performing like yours than the horror stories circulating on the web. The web is place to go when we're unhappy. Right now I'm really thrilled with my little pistol and a few more fun sessions should have me really bragging about it's accomplishments. I do find it curious that mine isn't digesting the Federal Bulk like other folks seem to be, but rimfire autos are a interesting animal. My MkII shot everything until around 6000 rnds then I had a batch of Remington Bulk that it hated. Now it's behaving well and I'm thinking it was some differences in this run of ammo. Anyway thanks one and all for the good information and your comments that led me to my purchase of this slick little pistol. Right now it's a keeper.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, I can tell you my SR22-CT has been great, it has shot everything I have put in it, 1855 rds to date and have only owned a little over a month...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had same problem with Federal bulk 40 grain 1200 fps lead. Federal bulk 36 grain JHP 1260 fps work fine. Also, Winchester 555 bulk 36 grain JHP 1280 fps work fine. Although I prefer the Federal. First time I took my gun out, I had it oiled with RemOil. Had problems. Put Hoppe oil on it during the first shoot and no problems. CCI mini-mags just fine, but cost more.
So far...
I finished out my box of Federal lead, 325/350 rounds.
Shot about 400 Winchester 555.
Shot about 600 Federal 525.
100 mini-mags.
10 Stingers.
100 Federal Lightning leads. Had some problems. Shot those first with the RemOil.
This gun is so much fun to shoot (mainly because so cheap to shoot). Rapid fire for pennies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts