Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my new SR22 to the range today. What a fun little gun, put about 300 rounds through. I did have a number of fail to feeds that all seemed to be caused by the next cartridge not sitting properly in the magazine to be stripped by the slide. This feels like a real quality piece that shoots great and will help me become more accurate with my P95 and SR9c. :D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
There are a lot of SR22 owners here who might chime in on this issue. I haven't experienced it with mine. Was it all one brand of ammo?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, it was Federal American Eagle high velocity 38 grain copper plated hollow points. For the most part I'm thrilled with this pistol. The gun cycled perfectly it's just that the next round just didn't rise high enough in the mag for the slide to hit it. This happened maybe 8 times in the course of shooting over 300 rounds. Next time I'll try another brand and maybe be more careful loading the magazines.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi I've got 2 SR22's . A couple with small things that may help you, one is the recoil spring fully seated on the guide rod? If not it goes on by turning it CW looking from the breech end a finger nail helps getting it on it goes over the first ridge and up aganist the last one. Both mine came from Ruger not seated. This will give you fail to feed prolems. 2 the cartridges sit a little staggered in the mags. Some of us found that if you slap the back of a loaded mag aganist the plam of your hand it helps the seat the rounds to the back of the mag and also when loading your mags just pull the follower down jusy enough to get 1 round at a time in. Don't pull it all the way and drop them in. These tips have helped me. I've run as many as 650 rds in one session without any problems. I use mostly Federal bulk Walmart. But mine will eat anything I feed it. They are great little guns. Hope this helps. Enjoy your SR22's

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Any time glad to be of help , hope it works for you. If not post again. That's why we all hang around here to help one another. Maybe the next time it'll be you helping me or someone else thats the way it works..
Neither of my primary defensive weapons, the SR9c and P95, have had a failure of any type in over 4000 rounds each. My SR 22 was never intended to be anymore than an affordable way to improve my technique with the 9mm’s. If it continues to give me occasional fail to feed then it will give me practice in an additional aspect of defensive shooting that the big guys don’t. This will be a positive experience regardless.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Neither of my primary defensive weapons, the SR9c and P95, have had a failure of any type in over 4000 rounds each. My SR 22 was never intended to be anymore than an affordable way to improve my technique with the 9mm’s. If it continues to give me occasional fail to feed then it will give me practice in an additional aspect of defensive shooting that the bug guys don’t. This will be a positive experience regardless.
I believe that .22 pistols just tend to have more failures than CF guns. The quality and consistency of ammo is probably not quite as good as CF. I find that I have more FTFeed issues with hollow points.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My SR22P has several thousand rounds through it - I've lost count. I did find that when it was new, it had a tendency to get really dirty. When it was dirty, it did some of the tricks you've mentioned. I used to joke that I knew when it was time to go home because the gun told me it was time to get a bath.

After a thousand rounds or so, it kinda loosened up to the point that I can get it a lot dirtier before I have to go home. I haven't fired Federal stuff much -- kinda hard to find around here. But its had everything else through it. It likes CCI mini-mags and most of the other CCI stuff. The Winchester stuff we get around here has lotsa waxy stuff on it that gums things up rather more quickly than other brands. But it still loads, fires and ejects perfectly about 99.99999% of the time. Great little gun.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the purchase of an SR22P at Gunbroker. I can't wait to get it and, first of all, check the seating of the spring on the guiderod and also the screw for the bbl as mentioned by some here. Other than that, there seem to be no other major problems that are regularly occuring. It sounds like a great little gun to own.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine is super fussy re:ammo. Won't shoot any of the cheap bulk ammo including remington, federal, wwb, etc. reliably - any of the stuff that costs 4-5 cents per shot at Wally. Over 1,000 trouble free rounds with cci minimag round nose 1235 fps for $6.95/100 at Wally.

I love the gun.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mine is super fussy re:ammo. Won't shoot any of the cheap bulk ammo including remington, federal, wwb, etc. reliably - any of the stuff that costs 4-5 cents per shot at Wally. Over 1,000 trouble free rounds with cci minimag round nose 1235 fps for $6.95/100 at Wally.

I love the gun.
Hi I've got two SR22's and they'll eat anything a give them mostly Fedral bulk Walmart. That was a big selling point with Ruger that it would fire cheap bulk ammo. Is your recoil spring fully seated? If it is I'd call Ruger to see what they have to say. it should fire the bulk ammo with no problem. If you want to keep shooting CCI's that's your choice but the gun should shoot bulk. Most of the SR22 posts I've seen all say they can and do shoot bulk cheap ammo regularly with no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used CCI mini-mags in mine with no problems. I've seen on other site reviews that this brand works flawlessly, but it's more expensive than some others. I also tried Winchester super X in mine, and had about 3 FTF's. I bought some of the Federals and will try them out in a couple of weeks and post results on here for all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What kind of problems did you have with your MKIII? I've got 3 of them and they all run great,will eat anything I feed them mostly Federal Bulk Walmart.
I had an issue or two with a round jamming from the mag on the mark III. It was pretty dirty. Overall I have been impressed by both the mark III over the years as well as the SR 22 the last two trips. I have really enjoyed both guns.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had an issue or two with a round jamming from the mag on the mark III. It was pretty dirty. Overall I have been impressed by both the mark III over the years as well as the SR 22 the last two trips. I have really enjoyed both guns.
Hi Sweetcorn. I usually have a couple of Q tips in my range bag and give the feed ramp a clean when they start to get dirty and I also polished my feed ramps. Yes I agree both are great guns.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Yes, it was Federal American Eagle high velocity 38 grain copper plated hollow points. For the most part I'm thrilled with this pistol. The gun cycled perfectly it's just that the next round just didn't rise high enough in the mag for the slide to hit it. This happened maybe 8 times in the course of shooting over 300 rounds. Next time I'll try another brand and maybe be more careful loading the magazines.
Let me see if I can help you with my SR22p experience.
When you are finished with loading your mag. the way gmsoapy said, tap them in your palm with the primer side down. This seats the round in the proper position.
In my experience with failure to feed/pick up the next round, it's due to a weak round. The last roung has enough power to eject the empty case, but does not bring the slide back fully to pick up the next round. Several testers/owners have reported this. I personally have only had this problem with Winchester bulk early on & never buy it anymore. As gmsoapy stated, I & many others use Federal bulk without issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found that the barrel on my SR 22 was loose. I tighten the set screw on the the top part of the trigger guard and it seemed to help solve the problems mentioned in this thread. Read the manual about removing the barrel and you will understand what I mean.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.