Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm pretty new to the modern gun world and I wanted something to just take to the range and thought a 22 would make the most sense because of the price of the ammo (even though it is inflated, still a lot cheaper than 9mm) and it would be something my wife would also be able to handle well.

After shooting revolvers (mostly old Ruger 22s) with my Dad for a while I chose the SR22. I wanted something with the traditional hammer setup so I think this was a good option (only?) and it was on sale. I also was looking at a Zastava M70a which I'm thinking I should have got instead.

The problem is I'm a little concerned with the fit and finish. I'm usually extremely anal when buying anything but I had sort of a perfect storm of unfavorable conditions when I went to pick up the pistol so I was not focused at the time. Here are the issues (unfortunately pictures won't upload for some reason) and the gun has been unfired.
1. There is a noticeable dent on the frame right above the takedown lever
2. There are chips of the black finish on the slide around the muzzle
3. The finish has some wear on the slide catch
4. The gap between the mag floor plate and the grip seems kind of large compared to the pictures I've seen online. Display model was the same though.

Is this normal, should I contact Ruger? The shop owner said it was normal. I know 1 through 3 are just cosmetic it is just I'm accustomed to ~30 year old, steel revolvers that still look brand new and I'm hoping my expectations are too high.

Thank you very much for any input!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
A big welcome to the forum from Georgia!

I bought mine three years ago it has some of those things now but that isvafterb3 years of use.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA!

I would contact Ruger Customer Service and see what they have to say.

·
Exalted One
1,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central Virginia! Was your SR22 new in box, or used?

My SR22 (bought new) was a thing of beauty with no apparent flaws anywhere. As others have said, you may want to consider contacting Ruger. Their CS is awesome.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Welcome from Brooklyn, NY.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Welcome. Always cracks me up when a new poster asks a question and everyone just welcomes you instead. Well just my opinion but it sounds like you are being a bit analytical on your purchase. A steel frame revolver has a completely different feel, fit/finish than a polymer SR22. You will notice a price difference as well. What you described sounds normal to me. A nick on the frame or wear on the finish or mag is not going to render your gun useless. Get out to the range and shoot it. See how it performs. That's what matters.

By the way be glad you did not get the Zastava. With the Ruger at least you get great customer support and all you have to do is contact them. I've seen quite a few issues on Zastava rifles and getting a hold of someone for any kind of service would be a call to halfway around the world to Serbia.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. I agree with "Revolverguy". It isn't a collectors pistol, it is a working man's pistol. If it doesn't shoot well (and I mean, FTF, FTE, failure to go to battery) then call Ruger CS, they will make it right. If it isn't accurate...well practice, because most accuracy issues are the shooter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.