Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Michigan 'Permit to Purchase' was obtained yesterday and I drove from the police station to my local gun store where I stood in line for 1.5 hours to buy my new Ruger SR22. Apparently the gun shop has been like this since Obama's re-election. Nuts...

Anyway, so I will not digress into a downward spiral, I brought the gun home and practiced (verifying it is unloaded - had to throw that in there first) disassembly and reassembly. I noticed that the slide was difficult to move, the magazine release was hard to push, and the trigger seemed hard to pull as well.

Naturally I have read many of the 'my gun jammed up at the range' postings where it was advised to clean and oil the gun to get rid of the factory lubricants before taking it to the range so I did that today. Also, some of the posts on the SR22 specifically mention that the recoil spring is not installed to the guide rod correctly and yes, mine was that way.

So, with the spring installed correctly and the gun cleaned it works much better in all aspects now. The slide slides, the magazine drops out, and the trigger is triggering. So, it is already to go tot he range where my son and I have a class this coming Saturday. They are going to let us swap the gun back and forth for the class so we can shoot our own gun, it is clean and ready to go, and I have 1,000 rounds ready to shoot...it should be enough for a while ;)

So, you other fellow new SR22 owners, make sure the spring is properly on the guide pin and that you clean the goop out of it before heading to the range for the first time. If the slide is not sliding then it will not operate properly with the low pressures from the 22LR charge and could easily result in misfed ammo.

I will report back on Saturday how the first shoot went!

Edit: by the way, the build date on my SR22 was October 30, 2012 so it is rather fresh.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too worried

I too worried about the slide release being too hard to push. But after a few thousand rounds through my SR22 ... and a number of range hours ... and plinking ... it's become second nature. I would say it has gotten easily to use ... but whenever I let a new shooter use it, they can hardly do it. Maybe my fingers have gotten stronger.

I had my sr22 for a couple of months ... so I'm still new ... and in love with the gun.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Congratulations on your new SR22. Happy to hear that you and your son will be attending a shooting class. Sounds like you are going about things the right way. Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY, and congrats on the new SR22P.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son and I took the CPL class this morning and shot the SR22 for the first time since purchase. We put 50 Winchester M-22 black copper plated round nose and 50 CCI copper mini-mag hollow points through it without issue. It has an amazingly light recoil to it.

The range portion of the class involved 10 shots two handed, then 10 with right hand only, 10 with left hand only, 10 two handed raise and fire without using the sights, and then 10 more one handed in the same manner. I was able to have a very tight grouping two handed and only a slightly wider grouping right hand only. Left hand only I did very well but the raise and shoot, especially one handed, was a bit wild so I know what I need to work on.

My 23 yo son shot the same procedure and actually did better than I did...how embarrassing, but in a good way. He did very well!

All in all we shot 100 rounds for a total of about $8 and that is the main reason I bought the SR22; practice without worry. We will shoot the 22 LR to improve and then make sure we are also current on whatever carry guns we get. So far, the SR22 has impressed me and both myself, and my son, left the range with smiles on our faces!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well done, Sir. I can tell you fro my own experience that when your son is 65, he will remember the day he and his Dad spent on the firing range. There is nothing I would trade for those memories.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Welcome from Texas! SR22 is the first gun I have owned in a long time. You'll love it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well done, Sir. I can tell you fro my own experience that when your son is 65, he will remember the day he and his Dad spent on the firing range. There is nothing I would trade for those memories.
I have similar memories with my Dad. The problem is that I want the guns we used and he won't let me have them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"the trigger is triggering" -- Epic. :)

Enjoy! I've had more fun practicing with my SR22 than any other gun I've ever shot. I'm sure part of that is that I'm cheap, but that doesn't make it any less true.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great memories for you and your son! I have the same model and after cleaning it and using a good oil it functions perfectly. If it is like my other Ruger rifles you will be happy with your purchase. Congratulations and welcome from WA state!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I too worried about the slide release being too hard to push. But after a few thousand rounds through my SR22 ... and a number of range hours ... and plinking ... it's become second nature. I would say it has gotten easily to use ... but whenever I let a new shooter use it, they can hardly do it. Maybe my fingers have gotten stronger.

I had my sr22 for a couple of months ... so I'm still new ... and in love with the gun.
Hi Tod
The slide stop is just that a stop not a release. To release the slide you should pull back on the slide (sling shot). If you keep using the the slide stop as a release you'll be replacing it as the steel dowel at the back of tthe areawhere the slide stop rests will wear out the stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My SR22 jams with the Winchester ammo. I use Federal, CCI or Remington and have no issues. It is my favorite concealed carry weapon. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats on the new SR22, but it's law in the Mitten State now to simply get your permit at the gunstore, no waiting on snobby clerks. The MSP dragged it's feet on the paperwork, so FFL's are simply using RI-060 forms that CPL holders use to buy with.

This may end up costing you a lot of money since you can impulse buy now, even without a CPL in Michigan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts