Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a SR22P on sale at SW Warehouse on Friday and took it to the range on Sunday.
450 rounds of several different brands of bulk pack.22LR ammo, not one single problem. Fun little pistol and pretty darn accurate out of the box. Sights were a bit to the left but a turn of a small bladed screwdriver on the adjustable rear sight fixed that easily. This gun will become one of my favorites to shoot, I can tell that already.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Great to hear your report, Gary. I have read many, many similar good reports about the SR22. I have been going round and round about whether to buy an SR22. I almost bought one about a week ago, but got a .22 lever gun instead. I also almost bought a 22/45. It was beautiful, blued finish with rosewood grips, but when I picked it up, it weighs a ton and didn't feel nearly as good in my hands as the SR22. I think one of those little beauties is likely to follow me home one of these days!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had to adjust my sights too, but now it's pretty darn accurate for a little 3 1/2 inch barrel pistol. I've shot hundreds of rounds through mine and really, really like it so far. Good luck with yours - happy shooting and be safe!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The SR22 is an outstanding plinker. Ruger did a great job with this neat firearm. I bought one some time back and could not be happier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just picked one up on 9/6 and put about 500rds of Winchester value pack ammo through mine...I love the gun!! I had a few FTF but that may be attributed to my magazine loading practices.

I had to adjust the sights a slight bit, but they were pretty good out of the box...I can not wait to get to the range again and put some more ammo through it...

Definitely a good purchase for me...I highly recommend this gun for anyone looking for a .22lr

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just picked one up on 9/6 and put about 500rds of Winchester value pack ammo through mine...I love the gun!! I had a few FTF but that may be attributed to my magazine loading practices.
I occasionally have FTL with the Winchester and Federal bulk ammo. Believe it or not, the most reliable "bulk" rimfire I've used has been Remington Golden Bullet. A lot of people hate that stuff, but I've had the best luck with it. Of course CCI runs perfectly, but that's not exactly cheap plinking ammo.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have ran 200 rounds of Federal Champion through mine with only a couple FTFs due to bad spec ammo. Besides that no gun related failures. It is extremely fun to shoot and really easy to clean.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I occasionally have FTL with the Winchester and Federal bulk ammo. Believe it or not, the most reliable "bulk" rimfire I've used has been Remington Golden Bullet. A lot of people hate that stuff, but I've had the best luck with it. Of course CCI runs perfectly, but that's not exactly cheap plinking ammo.
I just shoot whatever is cheapest/available at wally world one of the major points for me to get this gun was for economical range time...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have ran 200 rounds of Federal Champion through mine with only a couple FTFs due to bad spec ammo. Besides that no gun related failures. It is extremely fun to shoot and really easy to clean.
+1 on the easy to clean :)....this was one of the factors that contributed to me getting this gun as opposed to another....all of the research that I was able to do online indicated that the take-down was fairly simple...having the gun now, I can attest to the fact that it is super easy to take-down.....I do not like that the barrel is attached, but understand that it contributes to the accuracy.....still....super easy to take-down and clean...:)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Went to the range on Sat. and ran 250 through her. Not one problem and a fifteen min. cleanup that it didn't really need. I like this gun more everytime my wife or I shoot it. I had the loose barrel problem when I got in Feb. when they first came out. Ruger handled promptly and it's been a dream every since. Mine has the "Ruger Pistol" on the slide which the new one's don't? Good or bad I couldn't tell ya?
Love it,
Tony

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just shoot whatever is cheapest/available at wally world one of the major points for me to get this gun was for economical range time...
I can get Golden Bullets at Wally and other places for around the same bulk price as the others... I agree completely with using economical range ammo with this firearm, but if I have a choice and they are approximately the same price - I'll get the Remington's. Out of hundreds of rounds I've only had two bullet failures (strike but no detonation) and no FTL in my gun. The others work well enough for fun plinking range time too though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Reading other forums with FTLs and experience tells me always tap your mags so that bullets are settled to the rear of the magazines so it should prevent FTLs and FTFs. I do this with my SR9 as well.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Reading other forums with FTLs and experience tells me always tap your mags so that bullets are settled to the rear of the magazines so it should prevent FTLs and FTFs. I do this with my SR9 as well.
The fail to load comes from a weak .22 round. It has enough force to eject the spent case, but not go all the way back to pick up a new one. You are right about tapping the mags, something I picked up in the Navy shooting old .45's.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Came back from the range yesterday fired 200 more rounds. A fellow shooter came up to me and asked about how it performed because he was in the market for one. I told him I had no issues and it was fun to plink with. He asked to try it and I gladly obliged he ran 20 rounds through it and thought it was more solid and balanced than his P22. Gotta love the gun community everyone just loves to share their experiences and possibly have you try out their guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts