Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two of these for my daughters for Christmas. I have heard alot of good reviews so far. I also heard of some of the take down levers breaking.:confused: Has this been fixed? Are people still having this problem? I do not want to give my daughters these guns if it could potentially hurt them. Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Safety is certainly the first time to be concerned over with any gun, but even if the take down lever breaks while firing, I don't see how anything could come off the gun. In every case of broken take down levers I know of (just 1 I personally know) and a couple dozen we've heard of here online, I think in every case the lever broke while opening the lever.

I've got over 2500 through mine now since june without any problem.

There is a issue, if it's a flawed part, a bad design, or some one over powering the thing and snapping it off is hard to say. If Ruger has a product out that has a safety flaw, I feel certain in this day and age they'd be all over a recall - that's just not the case. Liberal Lawyers would LOVE to get this sort of case.

These great guns keep shooting and shooting and those who have a broken lever send it to Ruger for a totally free fix. The 99%+ of us who never break one just shrugg and go back to shooting.

BTW - There's no added o-ring in my SR22 either.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have two SR22Ps and have put thousands of rounds through them without any issues. Most of the issues with these pistols tended to be with the early ones. Mine are Feb-Mar 2012 vintage and have had no problems whatever so far. I doubt you will have any issues with yours.

I do not think that the take down lever is a safety issue; just a problem which, if it occurs, merits the return of the pistol to Ruger--Ruger will then fix the pistol at no charge and will even pay for the shipping. The one time I had to send a pistol back to Ruger I received it back fully repaired in 8 days at zero cost to me.

Your daughters will very likely really like the SR22P. It is a very nice pistol, very nicely built, easy to shoot, and a very good trainer. Easy to take down and clean, too.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I just bought two of these for my daughters for Christmas. I have heard alot of good reviews so far. I also heard of some of the take down levers breaking.:confused: Has this been fixed? Are people still having this problem? I do not want to give my daughters these guns if it could potentially hurt them. Any insight would greatly be appreciated.
Mine has been great, no problems.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
2000 rounds through mine. Had the slide wear issue only. Ruger replaced the slide, sent a free magazine, and a hat all in 1 week. Elsewhere on this forum someone chimed in about a bad batch of take down levers but extremely limited to only a few pistols. Others said to keep an eye out on the screw that holds the barrel in place since the takedown lever would get banged up. Either way, Ruger is an excellent company to deal with.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree, mine has been great, have put 1855 rds thru it and I have had no problems, every round has gone down the tube..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just bought one today and put a few hundred rounds thru it with only 2 jams, bot of which I attribute to ammo. The stuff I was shooting has been banging around loose in a cloth bag for almost 20years. It's been stored out in the heat and cold of a garage and it was cheap ammo to begin with. So out of appx 400 rounds and only 2 jams I am VERY happy!

BTW I traded + cash a Sig Mosquito for the SR-22, best trade I ever made! I hated the Sig from the first time I shot it. Even with mini-mags it was a jam master.

Back on topic, I haven't even read on how to take it apart yet, so I can't comment on broken levers. Just wanted to give a shout out that I am happy with the gun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts