Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new here. First post. Please excuse the length. I have a short story to share.

I'm new to the world of guns. My father passed away back in October and left me with a collection of rifles and handguns. I grew up with the guns in the house but my father almost never shot them with me. I have two young daughters now and a wife that doesn't much care for guns so I never got around to owning them myself. My father's passing changed all that.

A good friend of mine helped me inventory the guns I inherited. His knowledge of firearms impressed me a great deal. My suggestion of selling the guns troubled him greatly and he convinced me that I'd regret selling any of the rifles or pistols. He immediately scheduled some range time at a local state park and within an hour I was completely and totally hooked. I won't go in to each gun I shot but the 1938 Colt Woodsman was fantastic, as was the Browning Hi Power. My friend suggested I purchase a modern firearm and steered me towards the S&W MP40.

I did not choose the Smith. Instead, I picked up the SR40c two weeks ago and have put over 600 rounds through it since then. As a new gun owner I love the safety features on the Ruger (especially the loaded chamber indicator, something my experienced shooter friends scoff at).

Our last session at the range proved to be quite an experience as the Ruger easily out shot the Glock at 15 yards. Group sizes were about an inch smaller than the Glock and the difference in felt recoil could not be ignored. I had read that the SR40c had less recoil than competing guns in the class but it wasn't until I shot it back to back with the Glock and Smith before I really appreciated the difference.

I'm already looking for my next Ruger. The Ohio CCW class is in my future and I'm really interested in pocket carry after shooting a friend's LCP last week.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
A new gun nut is born. Congrats on picking up the SR40C and the counsel of wise friends. Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your father, and finally... Welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I can relate, we have very similar stories. Turns out the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree does it.......:D Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Nice choice on the SR40c. I chose the SR9c.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry for the passing of your father. I too recently purchased the SR40C last week and love it. The sight is a little off as it is shooting 6 inches down and to the left at 10 yds so I have to sight it in better next week. The recoil is so light and the feel of the gun in hand is so darn comfortable! My wife is going to get the SR9C soon. disassembling and cleaning the gun is so simple too which is great. My wife and I love the safety features too. I was getting great groupings too even though it was off on the rear sight. Now I am looking to get a ghost trigger and laser mounted on it soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry about your father's passing. I've been there so I know.
Congrats on your purchase. My next one will be a 40c-a little more punch than my LC9.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words. My father was killed in a motorcycle accident. I wasn't ready for him to go but picking up the shooting sport has helped me understand him better.

Not sure my first post accurately captured just how much I like the SR40c. My latest shooting session was eye opening. I was shooting with my nephew and his Glock 27 when he educated me on the intermediate reset of the SR. Once I got used to shooting using the intermediate reset my group sizes shrank considerably. I had no idea I didn't have to release the trigger all the way back before firing again. Using this technique shrank my groups by more than half. It's quite satisfying to see yourself getting better by using better technique. It was also satisfying to see me, the inexperienced shooter with his new gun, out shoot the more experienced shooter with the more expensive gun.

My apologies if that sounds like bragging. I don't mean it that way. The Ruger is making me look good as I was unable to reproduce the groups when shooting the Glock. In the end I'm just happy with my purchase and would encourage others to give the gun a try if they're on the fence about purchasing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Sorry for your loss.
The SR40c is a great choice. You love it already. IMHO they are easier to
handle than the LC9. :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome...and sorry for your loss, I have had the sr40c for about 8 months now and love it too. I carry it daily, shoots great and easily conceals...and it's not bragging, what you did is found the gun that fits you best and that's the most important thing when considering carrying on a regular basis. Not caliber, brand, or anything else it's all about what fits and what you have confidence in, in the case that you might have to draw it in self defense one day...the bad guy wont care what caliber he just got shot with...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts