Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: Hey guys I new to the Forum and had just bought my First Ruger. I’ve been shooting guns for 17 years and my job is a police officer. I bought SR40C, now here is the bad part. Since I’ve joined the Forum, I’ve been reading stories about light primer strikes with these pistols. I have not shot mine yet as I got it yesterday. I don’t tolerate guns not firing very well. 1. Is this a problem with all SR40/C or what. And for you who had problems, 2. how long does it takes for Ruger to fix the problem? This is going to be a Off Duty carry gun, and the reviews were great on the internet.:rolleyes:
Bill :cool:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I would take about 10% of what bad you read on the enternet serious. I have an early production SR40 that has near 3000 rounds through it and not one failure of any type. Clean the dickens out of it and have fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My SR40c is also for off duty carry. It's had 3 FEJ's, all with my son, or my very petite sister, I suspect limp wristing. When its been in my hands, ZERO, and I mean ZERO issues!

Fear not, you're gonna LOVE it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have fired a few rounds through mine with no problems, good luck with it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
:cool: Hey guys I new to the Forum and had just bought my First Ruger. I’ve been shooting guns for 17 years and my job is a police officer.
Ruger has been running waaaaaaaaaay behind on production. Actually they even stopped taking orders due to getting too far behind. If you think about it, and I don't have any problem believing, that fact probably explains the vast majority of any real problems that have appeared with end users.

My suggestion? Take your new Ruger out and shoot a few hundred rounds through it. Anything you don't like, call Ruger. Their customer service is tops! If something isn't right they'll bust their buns to make it right! Ruger makes good quality firearms and has built an outstanding reputation throughout the years. Generally the turnaround time runs seven to 10 days ... all expenses on Ruger.

Over the years I've owned Rugers, Walthers, S&Ws, Berettas, and Colts. While I don't have the 40 cal I do have the SR9C and it's one of the best, if not the absolute best, shooting semi-automatic pistol I've ever owned or shot.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I don't own the 40c but I can tell you I have had -O- failures with my full size .40 and my 9c. Clean it good and seeing that you are a LEO, you know how to shoot it. Have fun and congrats on the new gun. Of the small fraction of people that have had trouble, some were limp wristing, some didn't clean the factory gunk from the stryker channel, and a host of other issues that had nothing to do with the mechanics of the gun itself. That makes the number of Ruger quality control issues even smaller.JMO

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey Wilson - I've put a over a thousand rounds through my SR40 and SR40C with no complaints or issues. Never had a light strike. It's shot cheap ammo, expensive ammo, handloads, you name it. They're great pistols.

Wave

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Bill, welcome to the forum from Phoenix!

I've got both the SR 9 and 40, both in compact. I've never had a jam, misfire or light strike with either. They're two of my favorite guns. I'm assuming you've shot it, right? If not, after you've put about 100 rounds through it and not have a light strike, I don't think you need to worry about having any in the future.

If you are having problems both of those guns tend to come from the factory with the striker and channel packed with some sort of packing or preservative goo. Pop the back plate off (put a rag over it so the spring doesn't fly out) remove the striker and make sure both it and the channel are clean and dry. I keep a can of Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber and a can of compressed air, Qtips and pipe cleaners around for cleaning such areas. I also use FrogLube as my CLP since it leaves a seemingly dry film and never attracts dirt the way petroleum based products will Whatever you use for lube, either assemble it dry or put a tiny amount on and wipe off the excess with a clean patch. The need for any lube on the striker is questionable.

If you're still having light strikes after that, call Ruger and let them look at it. Light strikes are definitely not the norm for an SR40c. Let us know if you find anything.

Just curious, are you using the SR40c as a duty weapon, BUG or just SD/HD?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ruger sr40c

I have also had zero issues. Mine is less than two months old
I only have 200 rounds thru mine.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I had to send my SR40c in for light strikes when I first got it. 8 days later it was perfect. About 600 rounds later it is still perfect. Dead on accurate and completely reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to send my back to Ruger for light strikes. Yes I can handle and shoot weapons very well. 20+ years active duty as a U.S. Army Paratrooper (Retired). Plus 20 years and still working as a police Officer. Send my SR40c back to Ruger last Wednesday. Customer Service super nice. Sent me postage via UPS to send it back for service. Ruger makes excellent weapons. Once in a while one slips thru the cracks. Would not worry about any issues with this fine weapon. Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys I put 300 rds thourgh the gun this past weekend. Zero hand up's. Its shot everything. also had a good time on the PD range aslo. Thanks you guys are the greatest
Bill

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Hey guys I put 300 rds thourgh the gun this past weekend. Zero hand up's. Its shot everything. also had a good time on the PD range aslo. Thanks you guys are the greatest
Bill
Great! I hope your confidence is restored. Forums are great for sharing information, but if somebody has a problem with a gun, lots of times it gets blown out of proportion - not saying they didn't have a problem, but problems get reported and the lack of problems often don't.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Bill
it took me a bit to "warm up" to my SR40. But thousands of rounds later I would hate to part with it.
You are correct, thier are some fantastic gun nuts in here!!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Bill
Keep in mind that the striker channel wil need to be cleaned once in a while.

It's very easy to do and takes just a few minutes. I've cleaned mine twice in two thousand rounds fired over two years so it's not like something you have to do every week. At the same time, the mag disconnect mechanism is able to be cleaned.

Since your firearm seems to be working well now, if you do run into light strike issues, I would expect it to be from dirt rather than weak springs, etc.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So far my SR40c has functioned without any issues using both magazines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts