Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new SR556FB is on the way! Any advise on what to check out before the range?
Of course i'll get well familiar with it's workings...but should I break it down...clean any excess oil, etc?
Thanks...I can't wait....oh also any ammo recommendations...I have some Fed xm193, 55gr?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Congrats; read the manual & learn the rifle, 2nd - give it a light clean/lube, the head for the range, if you have already installed optics, if not just use the iron sights. Sight in at 25, then 50, then 100 and you're good to go...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do clean it up and lube it, do get familiar, and do take lots of ammo. Your ammo you mentioned will work fine, stay with the lower grain as the higher is not near as accurate due to twist rate. The one big problem with the rifle, it loves to eat and is not satisfied with whatever you planned on originally shooting, it wants more.

Have fun and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I might also suggest when you clean it get some Frog Lube. Do a cpmplete cleaning with alcohol follow the directions Frog Lube give you and then head for the range. The stuff is awesome so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Agree with everyone above. Read than manual thoroughly. Then field strip and lube. The videos on the Ruger site can be very helpful. Hit the range and sight it in with iron sights first. They will always be your back up. Down the road you can add some optics. Bring all the ammo you can afford to buy and spare. When your done, field strip and clean it again. Look for any signs of trouble after your first outting. I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's good to check and nip any issues in the bud. You'll find the bolt and carriage remain remarkably clean.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The SR556 is a snap to break down and clean. I do recommend that you spend a few minutes mastering the cleaning of the piston assembly at the front. Very easy, and that is where most of the gunk will be after a range trip.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My new SR556FB is on the way! Any advise on what to check out before the range?
Of course i'll get well familiar with it's workings...but should I break it down...clean any excess oil, etc?
Thanks...I can't wait....oh also any ammo recommendations...I have some Fed xm193, 55gr?
Enjoy your new FB. Clean it and shoot it. Hopefully all of the extras will arrive with the gun. You are supposed to get 3 Magpul Pmags with your FB. Since they are at such a premium right now, I would make darn sure they arrive with your rifle.

You were able to find some ammo?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Enjoy your new FB. Clean it and shoot it. Hopefully all of the extras will arrive with the gun. You are supposed to get 3 Magpul Pmags with your FB. Since they are at such a premium right now, I would make darn sure they arrive with your rifle.

You were able to find some ammo?
Been hunting every day for FMJ for the range...got a few hundred rds at the best outrageous price I can't afford! Feel like a jerk for what I paid...
Yes I got the 3 -30/Pmags( being a 40 cal glock guy can't believe how oversized the 30 rd 223 mags are, I guess it has to do with spring/feed pressure?)
Being new to 223/556 what rds should I keep my eyes open for SD?
JHP or soft tip??
Thanks much for all the help!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a Geissele SSA trigger. You will be more accurate with it and shoot faster. It is worth every penny.
I wish I could afford the Geissele trigger...I think it's over $200....ammo is making a big dent in the wallet right now :mad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is Ballistol ok on chrome linning?

Just wondering...cleaning ? I've been a fan of Ballistol since I got my handguns....keep 'em looking new!
I can't find any info on using it on the sr556 chrome lined barrel or gas parts...any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been using it to clean my SR556, do not notice any issues with using it. I also use ballistol on my AK and of course the thing has been flawless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wondering...cleaning ? I've been a fan of Ballistol since I got my handguns....keep 'em looking new!
I can't find any info on using it on the sr556 chrome lined barrel or gas parts...any thoughts?
I would think you might check out Butch's triple twill patches, and their oil and cleaners. Not saying anything about what you are using, but I sure love the actual cloth patch, and the clean bore I get with their other products. I just have this mental check about putting paper patches through the barrel of my 556.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Been hunting every day for FMJ for the range...got a few hundred rds at the best outrageous price I can't afford! Feel like a jerk for what I paid...
Yes I got the 3 -30/Pmags( being a 40 cal glock guy can't believe how oversized the 30 rd 223 mags are, I guess it has to do with spring/feed pressure?)
Being new to 223/556 what rds should I keep my eyes open for SD?
JHP or soft tip??
Thanks much for all the help!
I would have Hornady TAP Personal Defense Ammo if you can find some but the standard XM-193 is an outstanding anti-personnel round at ranges out to 200 yards if none is available.

For cleaning and lubrication, I use MPro-7 products. Their foaming cleaner really cuts carbon deposits and works well on the gas valve/piston assembly for removing carbon. The lubricant will keep the Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) running like a top! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've shot PMC, Tulammo, XM193i with no issues (except 3-4 times a Tulammo casing rim broke off causing a FTE). For practice, who cares as long as it's cheap. For home defense, etc I would save for some proven rounds like Hornady or whatever.

Maintenance (Two Types I do):

1 - Thorough: Take apart the BCG, wipe it the barrel and the regulator (all chrome parts) and DON'T use a bore brush (chrome doesn't need it.) Just use a punch with patches soaked in your favorite carbon destroyer (I like Break Free products) then run dry patches to dry the barrel. Use a chamber brush and a toothbrush to scrub the inside and out (upper, trigger housing, magwell inside) then a lint free rag and q-tips to dry it off. Lube the contact points on the BCG like around the bolt and where the carrier touches the upper. Rub with a finger to spread a LIGHT coat on the whole BCG and the inside to the upper (sans the chamber and barrel). Put some lube on the moving parts of the trigger housing. After you put it all together put a dab of lube on your finger tip and massage a light coat all over the metal parts (don't forget the sights and the whole buffer tube. This should soak in and "dry" after a while. You should be gtg for 1000's of rounds.

2- Maintenance / Field Clean: Take whole the BCG, wipe it the barrel and the regulator (all chrome parts). Just use a punch with patches soaked then run dry patches to dry the barrel. Use a chamber brush and a toothbrush to scrub the inside only then a lint free rag and q-tips to dry it off. Lube the contact points on the BCG like around the bolt and where the carrier touches the upper. Rub with a finger to spread a LIGHT coat on the whole BCG and the inside to the upper (sans the chamber and barrel). Ready to go for another 1k+ rounds.

(btw if it adds credibility, as a Marine I never failed rifle inspection haha)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've shot PMC, Tulammo, XM193i with no issues (except 3-4 times a Tulammo casing rim broke off causing a FTE). For practice, who cares as long as it's cheap. For home defense, etc I would save for some proven rounds like Hornady or whatever.

Maintenance (Two Types I do):

1 - Thorough: Take apart the BCG, wipe it the barrel and the regulator (all chrome parts) and DON'T use a bore brush (chrome doesn't need it.) Just use a punch with patches soaked in your favorite carbon destroyer (I like Break Free products) then run dry patches to dry the barrel. Use a chamber brush and a toothbrush to scrub the inside and out (upper, trigger housing, magwell inside) then a lint free rag and q-tips to dry it off. Lube the contact points on the BCG like around the bolt and where the carrier touches the upper. Rub with a finger to spread a LIGHT coat on the whole BCG and the inside to the upper (sans the chamber and barrel). Put some lube on the moving parts of the trigger housing. After you put it all together put a dab of lube on your finger tip and massage a light coat all over the metal parts (don't forget the sights and the whole buffer tube. This should soak in and "dry" after a while. You should be gtg for 1000's of rounds.

2- Maintenance / Field Clean: Take whole the BCG, wipe it the barrel and the regulator (all chrome parts). Just use a punch with patches soaked then run dry patches to dry the barrel. Use a chamber brush and a toothbrush to scrub the inside only then a lint free rag and q-tips to dry it off. Lube the contact points on the BCG like around the bolt and where the carrier touches the upper. Rub with a finger to spread a LIGHT coat on the whole BCG and the inside to the upper (sans the chamber and barrel). Ready to go for another 1k+ rounds.

(btw if it adds credibility, as a Marine I never failed rifle inspection haha)
Good summary! The beauty of the SR-556 is how cleanly it runs and how little maintenance it really requires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts