Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SR9 last night and took it to the range today. It came with a special edition pocket knife, two mags, speed loader, manual, and box. Field stripping is very simple...even a guy with two masters degrees can do it. The external safety is small but accessible. After dry firing it last night (with an empty mag in), I practiced flipping the saftey on and off. Ruger seems to have designed it just for me. The mag release is a bit more of a stretch for my thumb but with some thought I can release the mag with one hand. The mag itself "ejects" quite quickly. The slide lock is also a bit of a stretch for my left hand. I had quite some difficulty with it last night, however, today I was able to release it one handed with little trouble. The grip itself is nice. I found by flipping the rubber back strap to the flat side improved my thumb reach to the mag and slid releases.

The 3 dot sight's worked ok. I dont have much to compare it to as this is my first pistol. I shot a friends P95. I had a very nice P93 on hold until I saw this one. I ran 200 rounds of winchester 114 grain through it today (got it on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods about 2 months ago even before I had a 9mm). It kicks a bit but not to the point of fatigue. I could have spent a couple more hours but had too many other things to get done.

$479 plus tax here in CT which seems to be within the going rate. I've read some dissappointing opinions on this forum and others regarding some initial impressions. I do think Ruger's marketing strategy is solid. Although some feel that the SR9 has come late to the market, I believe there is plenty of room if Ruger can produce a firearm of this fit and finish for about $500 price point. I am happy with the purchase.

I just signed up for a photobucket account. Here's my pic.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
do appreciate the report.

quote:. After dry firing it last night (with an empty mag in),
I gather this means dry-fireing without the mag will damage the weapon----so its a p345 style magazine dis-connect?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed Ruger joined the rank and file of Glock and the like, so I clicked over to the Ruger forum. Their server must be down or something, I got website not found error...

The 6.5-pound trigger seems a bit too heavy(it does have a safety, so they could lighten it up and treat like a real single action, like 1911). How's manual safety lever feel like? Other Ruger pistols, the safety just feel too mushy. It doesn't snap in in out in a crisp way, but rather like slide in and out, like the detent has been worn. Also, does the mag interchange with the old Ruger 9mm 15 rounders? Sorry if the questions been asked before, I just got on board here, but was an old timer over the other Ruger forum...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:The 6.5-pound trigger seems a bit too heavy(it does have a safety, so they could lighten it up and treat like a real single action, like 1911). How's manual safety lever feel like? Other Ruger pistols, the safety just feel too mushy. It doesn't snap in in out in a crisp way, but rather like slide in and out, like the detent has been worn. Also, does the mag interchange with the old Ruger 9mm 15 rounders?
The trigger is partially cocked when you rack the slide and what I like about it, each trigger pull is identical to the other. There is some float (maybe a 1/4 of an inch) where the trigger mechanism seems to be catching up internal clockwork. The trigger action itself is crisp and each shot is somewhat unexpected as it should be.

The saftey is usually either on or off and can be moved purposely with the thumb without readjusting your grip on the pistol. I was toying with the external safety switch while dry firing and it is possible to to partially engage it. It seems to do it too when adding a mag first thing after reassembling a field strip. It seems to push the internal clockwork of the safety to the 1/2 on/off position. One big clue that something is wrong is that the mag won't click into position, but once you remove and reinstert mag the external safety switch stays in the 1/2 on/off position. So I will always be checking for the proper safety position after a field strip.

The instruction manual indicates that the mags are not interchangeable. I wish they were because I just purchased a PC9 and was eyeballing a P93 for this purpose. I do like the new mags as they have holes and a number count indicators.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! I think so far the design aspect I like most(or just doesn't hate), is the take down procedure without the need to dry fire. That was my biggest gripe against Glock, the need to dry fire when I was not practicing dry firing. I heard that the SR9 mag disconnect could be removed by the user. Well, just read the user manual over at Ruger.com, and it certainly didn't tell me squat about how that should be carried out...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

Jumpin4Joy, that's a nice looking pistol. One question, is there a model without the rail mount?
Baker
There are just two SR9 Models at present and they are identical with the exception of the OEM magazine capacity. Both have the rail mount. I'd like to see a ccw without the mount...perhaps we will see this in the near future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts