Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought an sr9c as my first handgun after some wonderful reviews read about it and shooting my friend's sr40c. Friday night I cleaned it out with some No9 lube and protection to the internal pieces and gun oil to the barrel. Saturday around noon I went out with 100 rounds of Winchester target ammo, and 100 of Federal, both 115 gr fmj to start the break in process.

On my 4th magazine. I had it happen where it fired, the slide came back, and didn't bring the striker with it as my trigger was still depressed instead of returning, and the indicator peephole below the rear sight looked like the striker was in. The spent casing was ejected, and a new round was in the chamber. I manually racked it, ejecting that round and putting a new one in now the striker was back and my trigger was forward.

The primer seemed to have a very soft indent in it. I'm thinking from the slide coming forward with the striker still forward instead of staying back. This happened 4 more times later in the day towards the end of my two boxes. wasn't one brand specific, 3 from Winchester and two from federal. Once it happened almost back to back. mis, I rack and next shot fires, then a mis again. Then shot the rest of the magazine just fine. Once was on the last round in the gun.

Thoughts? I cleaned it out again, being a bit more thorough this time. Possibly too much lube/oil? Not enough? I bought 4 different boxes of 50 and will shoot again this weekend. really hoping this is merely a product of the break in period. Thoughts of what could be causing this? I hope it's not just that it was cheap ammo, it's not like I have off brand knock-offs, and I'd really like to be able to get in the more affordable range time when I'm just out there for some fun or with buddies.

Once I'm comfortable with the gun I'll start buying some better stuff and see what kind of groupings I can hit and if I need to adjust sights (Center of my 10 yard groupings were a bit high and left consistently, but I've never had someone actually teach me how to shoot a handgun. Just grew up hunting with rifles and shotguns so I'll hold off on any sight adjustments as long as I can hit the targets)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had two SR9cs and never a problem like you describe. I'd shoot some different types of ammo just to satisfy my curiosity, but mine shoot the range ammo as well as any higher end stuff. I shoot mostly purchased reloads. If the problem continues, call Ruger. Their customer service has been excellent.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Welcome to the Ruger Forum. Most likely, your gun is just new and will not do that any more.

One other possibility, if you're new to shooting semi-auto handguns is what's known as limp wristing. Which is exactly what it sounds like. Almost any semi-auto pistol can be made to malfunction by shooting it with limp wrists.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
So, I bought an sr9c as my first handgun after some wonderful reviews read about it and shooting my friend's sr40c. Friday night I cleaned it out with some No9 lube and protection to the internal pieces and gun oil to the barrel. Saturday around noon I went out with 100 rounds of Winchester target ammo, and 100 of Federal, both 115 gr fmj to start the break in process.

On my 4th magazine. I had it happen where it fired, the slide came back, and didn't bring the striker with it as my trigger was still depressed instead of returning, and the indicator peephole below the rear sight looked like the striker was in. The spent casing was ejected, and a new round was in the chamber. I manually racked it, ejecting that round and putting a new one in now the striker was back and my trigger was forward.

The primer seemed to have a very soft indent in it. I'm thinking from the slide coming forward with the striker still forward instead of staying back. This happened 4 more times later in the day towards the end of my two boxes. wasn't one brand specific, 3 from Winchester and two from federal. Once it happened almost back to back. mis, I rack and next shot fires, then a mis again. Then shot the rest of the magazine just fine. Once was on the last round in the gun.

Thoughts? I cleaned it out again, being a bit more thorough this time. Possibly too much lube/oil? Not enough? I bought 4 different boxes of 50 and will shoot again this weekend. really hoping this is merely a product of the break in period. Thoughts of what could be causing this? I hope it's not just that it was cheap ammo, it's not like I have off brand knock-offs, and I'd really like to be able to get in the more affordable range time when I'm just out there for some fun or with buddies.

Once I'm comfortable with the gun I'll start buying some better stuff and see what kind of groupings I can hit and if I need to adjust sights (Center of my 10 yard groupings were a bit high and left consistently, but I've never had someone actually teach me how to shoot a handgun. Just grew up hunting with rifles and shotguns so I'll hold off on any sight adjustments as long as I can hit the targets)

hockey, welcome to the forum.
When you dis-assembled the SR9c, did you follow the videos on Rugers website?
I ask because there are a couple small steps on the SR9c that are additional from most pistols. There is 1 during take down & 1 on re-assembly
Also, did you remove the striker & clean that channel out, because they can sometimes ship with a lot of lube?

You can contact Ruger, they have great CS, but this might save you from sending it back to the mother ship.
Watch all 3 videos under SR9.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My 9c has been flawless. I've shot mostly 124 and some 115 grain (no reloads); unusually magtech, winchester, federal or remington. It is possible to over-lube a gun. Also possible a magazine can be an issue in some malfunctions.
I started shooting low & left. Improved things by working on my form (grip & trigger finger) but I did eventually drift the front sight slightly as it seemed to not be centered and I didn't want the rear sight so far to one side. I also raised the rear sight for my style of shooting.
If you search this sight and/or the web in general, you can find charts that can give an indication of what causes shooting up/down and/or right/left. You may also find examples of how/where to place the front/rear sight picture on the target.
Ruger customer service is excellent if needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Probably just the break in period. Mine needed 100 rounds before it became 100% reliable. If it still acts up, I'd call Ruger and have them fix it. You shouldn't need more than 100 rounds to break in a modern poly-striker type of gun.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
lightly lube, with striker channel dry. use a firm grip and stiff wrist, my guess is your problems will go away.
welcome to our addiction.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As mentioned above, my guess is shipping lube in the striker channel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts