Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new SR9c and took it out back to shoot a few rounds with my son. I think we had 4 FTF in the first 75 or so rounds. All of the FTF, the firing pin dimpled the primer but it was VERY light. Is this a problem that will be resolved with break-in or something else? Need to clean the striker assembly? Not sure I know how to do that but there is probably a video online somewhere.

Yes, we were very patient and careful handling after each FTF.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Just picked up a new SR9c and took it out back to shoot a few rounds with my son. I think we had 4 FTF in the first 75 or so rounds. All of the FTF, the firing pin dimpled the primer but it was VERY light. Is this a problem that will be resolved with break-in or something else? Need to clean the striker assembly? Not sure I know how to do that but there is probably a video online somewhere.

Yes, we were very patient and careful handling after each FTF.
What brand of ammo were you using? Some are know for having hard primers.

The new version striker SR series strikers are removed differently than the first versions. Check this sub forum for instructions.

I would try cleaning the striker first. The striker channel will get dirty at some point in time. Might as well learn how to do it right up front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've read online that others have had the same issue with a new SR and it was heavy grease from the factory in the striker assembly/firing pin channel.

I took my SR9C apart before even trying to fire it but mine was fine, no grease in it. I've since run close to 1k rounds through mine without an issue of any kind.

Might pay you to give her a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention the ammo. It was just some cheap Winchester white box ammo.

I'll look at how to clean the striker/striker channel and see how it goes from there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd do what josebd suggestions, but if there is a single FTF (use some decent ammo) in the next several hundred rounds, lift up the phone and call Ruger. They are first rate when it comes to warrantee service. I had the same kind of issues with a LC9S and they took care of it totally.

As for the SR9C, I've had mine for over a year now and have put a lot of rounds through it and it has never failed for any reason. So that is what the gun is capable of. Don't live with any less.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention the ammo. It was just some cheap Winchester white box ammo.

I'll look at how to clean the striker/striker channel and see how it goes from there.

Thanks.
Lots of people have reported light strikes with WWB.

Clean the striker channel. it can be run virtualy dry, use zero grease in it.

you can use a light oil like RemOil but wipe it on and wipe most off.

Have you dry fired the pistol much without a mag? That can cause peening on the mag disconnect mechanism which can cause light strikes.

As the pistol breaks in and things loosen up, I would guess that issues with harder primers would go away.

My SR9c doesn't have light strikes unless the striker channel has gotten dirty. That doesn happen cuz gunk gets in thru the firing pin hole and thru the large open area under the slide. I clean my strike channel about every 600-1000 rounds fired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've removed and cleaned the striker assembly. Not a lot of grease in there but was a little. I just wiped it all off and reassembled. Still a very slight residual amount left. We'll see how that goes next time I get a chance to shoot, probably this weekend.

Thanks guys.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
sbdude, welcome to the forum. My SR9C had only one FTF out of almost 2K rounds and it was with a Winchester bulk ammo so I think you've isolated and identified the problem.
I have zero FTFs using Blazer, Tula, etc. Last Monday, I tried Remington for the first time. While black smoke clouded my view with every shot, there were zero FTFs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts