Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Doug and I just purchased a new stainless slide SR9c :D
I got it online for a lot cheaper than I could find it anywhere locally. I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow as soon as it arrives. This is my second pistol, I also have a browning BDA .380 that's a pretty sweet little gun. I'm used to hammer fired DA/SA pistols and this will be the first time I've really gotten to handle a modern polymer striker pistol. I've done my reading and and familiar with how the action works. The thing that made me pick it was the nice crisp trigger on my buddies' SR40 and the fact that I wanted a poly pistol with a manual safety since that is what I am used to. I picked up a few hundred rounds of cheap federal 115 gr practice ammo and I'm looking forward to getting out and shooting it. The first thing I'm going to do when I get it home is strip and clean it of all the factory lube. The second thing I'm going to do is remove the mag disconnect safety. My question is, once this is done, that then makes the weapon safe to dry fire without a magazine inserted, correct?

Secondly, I'm applying for my CCW and I'd like to know what type of tuckable holsters you guys are using? I live in Texas and if at all possible, I'd like a holster that I could possibly wear against bare skin if I needed to on an extremely hot day. From the reading I've done it seems a lot of guys are recommending either an M82, a cross breed, or an aliengear holster. What do you guys like?

Lastly, have any of you experienced surface rusting or pitting of the slide in humid weather? My friend in swampy south texas said he experienced rust on his stainless slide from sitting in his car. I was under the impression it was a high enough grade stainless that this wouldnt be an issue. One of the things that made me choose a stainless slide was that I had also read about the nitride finish rusting if scratched since those weapons had carbon steel slides. In any case, I'll just be sure to keep it wiped down, or maybe its not even really an issue?

About how many rounds through it before I can expect it to be "broken in"?

-Doug

·
Registered
762 Posts
Congrats on a fine pistol. You will really enjoy shooting it. I've had mine for 5 years, and it's always a crowd pleaser at the range. My SR9c is the black version, no pitting or rusting whatsoever. I do have an SR45 with the stainless slide, and it's been on some pretty damp hunting trips with me with no blemishing of the steel at all. Make sure you store it with some type of silca gel or other moisture absorbing compound.

As for break in, opinions will vary, but all of my rugers have shot the same on shot #1 as they do for shot #1000. Shot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Welcome from CT.
You cant go wrong with an SR9c. Love mine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome from Delaware. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 9c. But you'll like it so much that you'll want the 40c next. Take it from one who knows.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. If you find the SR9C as useful, dependable, accurate, and enjoyable as I have for the past few years, you'll be patting yourself on the back years from now.

Now ... questions questions questions .... :)

[1] Removing the mag disconnect safety does indeed allow you to dry fire the SR9C without damaging the striker.

[2] My choice of ISWB tuckables is CROSS BREED hands down. I do use a White Hat for the SR9C simply because CROSS BREED does not make one that will accommodate the SR9C with a laser I have attached to mine. Or at least they didn't when I asked them. I do have a CROSSBREED for it, but I like my laser for carry purposes.

[3] In my personal experience I have not had any rust issues at all. I do a wipe down with a silicone impregnated cloth often ... for whatever that's worth. My SR9C has been my preferred daily concealed carry for years. I do occasionally go with a different piece when the situation calls for something a bit easier to conceal. We do experience high humidity in my area.

[4] I think most manufactures suggest something in the neighborhood of 300 rounds. Don't worry, you'll be sending more than that downrange. :) The SR9C is one sweet shooter!!

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your new SR9C and Welcome to the forum. I agree with others, the SR9C is a decent handgun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome from another SR9c owner! It's my EDC, and also used at the range. It's so comfortable to shoot that 100-300 rounds in a session are easy to fire. I like the manual safety, since as my EDC I'm way more likely to do a negligent discharge than to fail to fire in a defense situation from not releasing the safety. I practice managing the safety, and actually have a callous on my thumb from it!

It went back to Ruger 3 times for a trigger fail-to-reset issue, but I think it's fine now. Their customer service is outstanding.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,417 Posts
Welcome from Nor-Cal and congrats on your new SR9C!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome gentleman. I received confirmation that my pistol will be in my hands early thursday morning. It will not come with a cleaning kit, correct? Anyone have any recommendations for a good CLP cleaner and also a good synthetic lube? I've got some froglube that my beretta .380 has always liked, and I figure my cleaning kit will also be ok since its for a .355" bore. Anything else I need to know?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

Enjoy your new pistol and shoot often and safely!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I have over 5100 rounds thru my 5+ year old SR9c and I think it might be broken in.... :D

It shows no sign of wear. No issues so far.

I have the stainless version and wipe it down often with a Remm wipe to prevent rust. Stainless will rust, it just is harder to get it to do so.

In your climate, you will have to pay extra attention to ensuring the high humidiity and perspiration are not allowed to mess up the finish. Holsters can often hold the sweat and make things worse.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
welcome to our addiction. when I put mine in the drawer of my nightstand I wipe the slide with a silicon cloth. no rust issue on any of my five SR's.
I own multiple tuckables from "Aliengear". have been well satisfied. with their product and service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it to the range to day and put 200 rounds through it, mix bag of WWB and federal. It ran amazing, much more accurate pistol than I am. No failures of any kind except on two magazines, it failed to lock the slide upon successfully ejecting the last shell. I thought it had jammed and FTE so I opened the slide and looked inside and realized it had indeed ejected just fine, but failed to lock up. In addition, when I got it home and field stripped it to clean it, I found metal shavings all inside weapon. I don't know if this is normal break in for a brand new gun, or if its just normal metal deposits from FMJ ammo (I didnt check it with a magnet to see if it was ferrous, now I wish I had). I oiled it really well with hoppes #9 and put it away wet, planning on putting a few hundred more rounds through it next week. Any comments gentleman?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations and welcome mate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
new sr9c owner

Good purchase-short break-in period
Don Hume holster -H715M-WSC clip on /bodyshield. Great for concealed carry Can be purchased thru Gunnersalley.com.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts