Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a proud owner of a new Ruger SRH Alaskan .44 that I picked up last Saturday! I am eagerly waiting to take it to the range this weekend!

Due to black bears coming into my yard weekly, as I live in a mountainous area in CO, I wanted a .44 for a defensive solution. My cameras show them walking within feet by my walkout basement sliding glass door and they come by generally between the hours of 8:00 PM and 6:00 AM the next morning. I take out my three dogs at night and even though I light up the area, carry bear spray, and carry a .40 cal, I felt I needed something a little more powerful in case of a bear attack. Here are a few videos:

1) Ring #AlwaysHome, 2) https://ring.com/share/6734996714328182952, 3) Ring #AlwaysHome, 4) Ring #AlwaysHome

After reading various threads here, talking with various Ruger support personnel today, talking with Gary at XS Sights today, and looking at Meprolight and Trijicon, it appears nothing has really changed in finding a good solution for a front night sight on the Alaskan .44. I am searching for a night sight that gives me quick target acquisition at night when I'm out with my dogs. Gemini Custom seems to only offer a fiber optic front sight.

The only limited solution appears to possibly be Glow-On painted on the front sight. Based upon reviews, the Glow-On product will only give me roughly 15-20 minutes of a bright glow when it is "charged".....which should be adequate for my situation.

My SIL fishes and hikes in the CO mountains and bought an Alaskan .44 as well and hopes to pick his up this week. His needs may be a little different than mine. Does anyone have any other ideas for a front night sight solution?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hiviz has a fiber optic that comes in either green or red. No modification to the firearm. Just remove front pin, fit the sight in place and replace the pin. I do not have one yet but I am going to buy a green one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiviz has a fiber optic that comes in either green or red. No modification to the firearm. Just remove front pin, fit the sight in place and replace the pin. I do not have one yet but I am going to buy a green one.
Thanks for responding. I can see how the HiViz fiber optic could be helpful in daylight or limited lighting situations, but I was hoping for a nighttime solution of some type. Even though I have lighting as seen in the videos, my "dog yard" is up in the back left of those videos with limited to no lighting. The area by my basement that has spotlights really does not light up where the dog yard is. The only useful purpose of turning on those lights is to try and give me some notice of an impending bear encounter coming from that direction so that I may retreat back into my house.

I know the Glow-On paint has various colors. Seeing that I am used to Tritium Speed Sights with a green front sight and white rear sight on my Sigs and XDs, I was thinking of putting a green Glow-On paint color on the front sight of the Alaskan if I could not find anything else. That way it will resemble somewhat the green I am used to seeing with my pistols both in the daytime and nighttime when it is "charged".....if that makes sense.

Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have just used red nail polish on my Alaskan and I am interested in the replies you receive. I am thinking of changing my Hogue finger grips to the same Hogue with out the finger grooves, but they do fit my hand. I have two Galco holsters for my Alaskan, which are difficult to find in stock. That's all the info I can think of now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Galco holsters for my Alaskan
Those Galco holsters look really nice. I ended up buying this morning for my SIL and myself the Diamond D Guides Choice Leather Chest Holster, Magtech 240gr SJSP (for training/practice), and Buffalo Bore 300gr JFN.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crimson trace laser is an option.
Thank you for pointing out this option! Later today I will try and research what others have experienced using it as compared with the original grips. From my very quick reading, it appears the Crimson grips do not have that extra cushion inside as what the original Hogue grips have. The ideal situation would be to have both attributes.

Thanks for the link. When I spoke with XS Sights yesterday, they not only said it was discontinued, but the person said it was meant for the Alaskan .454 Casull. When I asked if they had any other sight that might work, he said the real issue is with the Alaskan .44 mag. The original height sight per Ruger is .312 and XS Sight closes sight height would be .355. Doing a few calculations, and trying to figure out the potential adjustment that could be made by the rear sight, the final result would give a front sight of .275 which he believed would not really work well.

Prior to calling Ruger yesterday, I noticed their P94 had a similar disk-shaped front sight. Unfortunately, no one at Ruger (went through a few people) could answer my question if the sights were interchangeable. Though, I did find out the P94 sight was .382.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just ordered from Brownells the Hogue non finger grip, it is the same as the OEM size so I am curious how this will work. I also ordered 4 Safariland speedloaders which I like better than my HKS. No new other info from me on the Alaskan. Anything else comes up,I'll post.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that you are seeking a solution to a non-existent problem. Any bear encounter that is going to require you to respond lethally in a split second will happen too fast to use the sights anyway. You would be shooting at point shooting distance. If you have enough light to identify your target, whether artificial or natural light, you have enough for sight with a FO or just a black, or black with insert front sight. As I said, doubtful you'd be using the sights at all.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that you are seeking a solution to a non-existent problem. Any bear encounter that is going to require you to respond lethally in a split second will happen too fast to use the sights anyway. You would be shooting at point shooting distance. If you have enough light to identify your target, whether artificial or natural light, you have enough for sight with a FO or just a black, or black with insert front sight. As I said, doubtful you'd be using the sights at all.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I think you make good points. However, even with "point and shoot" it would be much better to have the front sight illuminated in some way. Again, this is at night and the issue for me, is the dog area has limited to no lighting in that immediate area. The only lighting would come from under a porch and a distant neighbor. I use a flashlight...

You've got me thinking as perhaps another possibility would be to put up some type of spot lights in the area in addition to having the front sight illuminated.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
As a last resort , get a Bic White-Out Correction pen and apply a good coat of flat white to the front sight blade ...
Shows up a lot better than you might think . If you can see a bear you will pick up the flat white sight . I was going to use it as a base coat for a color day glow paint ...but the white worked so well I stuck with it . Bic White-Out pens are cheap , easy to find and easy to apply the color with ...nothing to loose ...Try Flat White before spending a bunch of money .
I keep a pen in my range box for a quick sight touch up .
Gary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a last resort , get a Bic White-Out Correction pen and apply a good coat of flat white to the front sight blade ...
Shows up a lot better than you might think . If you can see a bear you will pick up the flat white sight . I was going to use it as a base coat for a color day glow paint ...but the white worked so well I stuck with it . Bic White-Out pens are cheap , easy to find and easy to apply the color with ...nothing to loose ...Try Flat White before spending a bunch of money .
I keep a pen in my range box for a quick sight touch up .
Gary
Great idea! As for seeing the bear in the dog area, I would be using my flashlight. So, an illuminated front sight would be beneficial when using point and shoot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When you reach a good solution please let us know. I’ve been using hiviz on my redhawk, but they dont work ideally at night. Would like a good night sight when walking in from the deer blind after dark.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back into town after spending time with my son shooting at an indoor range in a town where he lives. This was the first time shooting the Alaskan .44 Mag and it was a lot of fun and was a blast! Pun intended.... The recoil was very, very controllable for both of us. Even when I rapid-fired it, my follow-up shots were on target. It is a very accurate revolver! I can't wait to shoot it again ~ maybe next weekend.

Other shooters, as well as the staff, came by to watch us shoot and commented how well it performed. People said there was a flash with every blast. I never saw it when I was shooting probably because I was focusing on the target. I did see it on occasion when my son shot it. I could have easily shot 50-100 more rounds but ran out of time. The good thing is we closed the range and the range officer, after learning I reload, swept pounds and pounds of brass up for me to take home with me.

I am so pleased I bought the Alaskan .44! Today was a great day!

I ended up buying the "green" Glow-On paint. I was planning on putting it on the front sight to give some contrast both in the daylight (that's why I chose green) and glow at night. Though, I wanted to shoot the Alaskan first without the Glow-On just to see how the sights were. I feel they were spot on at the lighted indoor range. Thus, after cleaning the revolver later this week, I'm going to add the "green" Glow-On paint to try out on my next range session. I'll update once I have applied the paint and then again how it "performs" at the indoor range.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
As an update to the post above, I applied the Glow-On last week. I first cleaned the front sight with rubbing alcohol several times and allowed it to dry. While the front sight was drying, I vigorously shook the very small vial of Glow-On paint. When the sight area dried, I opened the bottle of Glow-On, it was a very paste-like substance. Since I wanted better control, I applied it using a paperclip. Well, a day later I picked up the Alaskan and tilted it to the side and the Glow-On paint just fell off......the paste-like paint did not adhere to the front sight.

Apparently, Glow-On dries out inside the unopened vial as I read in small print on the label if it dries to a paste, just add a drop of water. So, I followed the same process as above, cleaning, added a drop of water, shook and applied a thin layer of paint. A day later, I added yet another drop of water, shook, and applied another thin layer.

After letting it "dry" for several days, I applied two coats of clear nail polish. Below are various pics I took. Last night I put a flashlight on it for 1 1/2 minutes to "charge it". It stayed well-lit for 16 1/2 minutes, which is sufficient for my needs so I left to go into another room. When I returned it had been glowing for 35 minutes, and there was barely a visible glow.

So, all-in-all I'm still concerned IF the paint will stay on after my first cleaning. I did try and email the vendor prior to buying it but never heard back (yep, even checked my spam filter ;)). My recommendation is if you are to buy it, that you purchase it through Amazon so as you can return it for a refund with Amazon's return window timeframe if you are not satisfied with it.

IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0837.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
My Alaskan wears an XS front sight and Meprolight rear sight. My Toklat has a Bowen base in the front and a DX tritium blade, and the Meprolights in the rear. All of my defensive pistols (30+ pistols) have tritium sights, the majority of them Meprolights.

Glow paint is a non-solution in my book, because nights are longer than glow lasts, and my holster covers my sights during the day when hiking in bear country, so there’s never truly a time the sights will be glowing when I might need them. I played with the idea of windowed holsters and even a little LED black light to charge in my tent, but the hassle isn’t worth it. Tritium is always on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The XS sights are discontinued and not available. The only front sight I am aware of for the Alaskan is the HiViz in green or red.I have not checked for rear sight blades/rear sights only or as a set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts