Ruger Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My Alaskan wears an XS front sight and Meprolight rear sight. My Toklat has a Bowen base in the front and a DX tritium blade, and the Meprolights in the rear. All of my defensive pistols (30+ pistols) have tritium sights, the majority of them Meprolights.

Glow paint is a non-solution in my book, because nights are longer than glow lasts, and my holster covers my sights during the day when hiking in bear country, so there’s never truly a time the sights will be glowing when I might need them. I played with the idea of windowed holsters and even a little LED black light to charge in my tent, but the hassle isn’t worth it. Tritium is always on.
I agree, but as pointed out in my initial post and in post #20, XS front sight is not available.

Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
If I were taking my dogs out at night and I knew bears were around I'd have a long gun with me. Not a pistol. Any problems with target acquisition, not to mention sufficient power, could be easily resolved in a myriad of ways. What's that old saying? "Don't take a knife to a gun fight." A properly loaded shotgun or centerfire rifle would be a better choice than a snub nosed 44Mag. I say that as a fan of the Alaskan. It's a dandy hiking/hunting backup sidearm but if there's a realistic chance of a bear encounter a long gun is always a better choice and I assume that since you're at home a long gun of some sort is available. YMMV

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
As an update to the post above, I applied the Glow-On last week. I first cleaned the front sight with rubbing alcohol several times and allowed it to dry. While the front sight was drying, I vigorously shook the very small vial of Glow-On paint. When the sight area dried, I opened the bottle of Glow-On, it was a very paste-like substance. Since I wanted better control, I applied it using a paperclip. Well, a day later I picked up the Alaskan and tilted it to the side and the Glow-On paint just fell off......the paste-like paint did not adhere to the front sight.

Apparently, Glow-On dries out inside the unopened vial as I read in small print on the label if it dries to a paste, just add a drop of water. So, I followed the same process as above, cleaning, added a drop of water, shook and applied a thin layer of paint. A day later, I added yet another drop of water, shook, and applied another thin layer.

After letting it "dry" for several days, I applied two coats of clear nail polish. Below are various pics I took. Last night I put a flashlight on it for 1 1/2 minutes to "charge it". It stayed well-lit for 16 1/2 minutes, which is sufficient for my needs so I left to go into another room. When I returned it had been glowing for 35 minutes, and there was barely a visible glow.

So, all-in-all I'm still concerned IF the paint will stay on after my first cleaning. I did try and email the vendor prior to buying it but never heard back (yep, even checked my spam filter ;)). My recommendation is if you are to buy it, that you purchase it through Amazon so as you can return it for a refund with Amazon's return window timeframe if you are not satisfied with it.

View attachment 156751 View attachment 156753 View attachment 156754 View attachment 156755 View attachment 156756 View attachment 156757 View attachment 156758 View attachment 156760 View attachment 156752 View attachment 156759
Since you have some control over when you will be going out with the dogs (not like hiking for hours with the Alaskan in a holster) you can charge the glow paint before going. In my long ago Salmon fishing days we learned that a cheap camera flash strobe would charge glo lures much better than just having them out in the light for a while before using. Some even made a 'flash box' to charge in (and it could help preserve night vision).
It might be worth checking out.

Bruce

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Since you have some control over when you will be going out with the dogs (not like hiking for hours with the Alaskan in a holster) you can charge the glow paint before going. In my long ago Salmon fishing days we learned that a cheap camera flash strobe would charge glo lures much better than just having them out in the light for a while before using. Some even made a 'flash box' to charge in (and it could help preserve night vision).
It might be worth checking out.

Bruce
Every night right before going out, I'm using a flashlight with 1000 lumens to light the Glow-On for 1-2 minutes. So far, the Glow-On is working for my needs. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Bowen claims that if using the Weigand DX base there are a number of sight configurations and heights available. Perhaps he has a tritium sight of the correct height for the .44 mag.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts