Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I started thinking about getting another .44 Mag. The last one I had was ten years ago.
I originally looked at a Super Blackhawk TALO Edition and it sold before I had the funds to buy it. Then last month a used like new Redhawk came in the store and had asked about them on the forum. Got some excellent feedback on the forum by the way. I went back to the store a few days later and it was gone.
Today I go into the same store and they have a new Super Redhawk Alaskan sitting on the shelf. I looked at it and also looked at a new Smith 629 short barrel. I didn't like the feel of the Smith and the Ruger felt better in the hand. Five minutes later I was walking out the door with it.
This is a nice solid chunk of iron and a very sexy gun I might add. I'm liking it more so than the last three .44 Mag Super Blackhawks I owned.
Now to find a decent holster as I plan on packing it on the hip. My 1911 will still be my main concealed carry gun, but with the Alaskan I will feel more comfortable again venturing out in the mountains where the grizzly bears roam.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice.
Congratulations & enjoy.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice find. I think you found an excellent hiking buddy.:)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thats sweet.., I wish I could make finds like that. Good for you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at holsters for my new Alaskan .44 and going to order a couple. The Galco Outdoorsman belt holster and the chest rig front carry from Diamond D. The Diamond D is a little expensive but looking at reviews and pictures of the holster it looks to be of excellent quality and exactly what I was looking for when it comes to hunting and hiking when wearing a back pack. I still want the option of a hip carry also. This will add to the collection of more than a dozen holsters I have for all my guns.

Galco D.A.O. Dual Action Outdoorsman Belt Holster Right Hand Ruger

Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Congrats on your new Alaskan! Those sure are sweet. I fondled one about a month ago and was really impressed. If I hadn't had a deposit down on a Redhawk 4.2" model I would have jumped on it.
I also like the looks of the Guides Choice holster and plan on picking one up soon(ish).
Enjoy your new hand cannon. :D

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Nice! I have the same exact gun, the first thing I did was get rid of the Hogues and put a set of new Lett grips on. I also replaced the springs with an ISMI set and its a lot slicker. I love mine, I'm looking for an IWB holster that will fit it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You just can't beat an Alaskan. The most fun gun I've ever pulled the trigger on. You might try Trailmaster holsters for a holster for it. He's a one man shop and very easy to deal with and treats every customer like a friend. You can look him up on facebook Trailmaster or get one of his pdf catalogs by emailing him at [email protected]

Here are several he's made for me. All are hip holsters.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Very nice find

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Ruger STORE has a couple Alaskan holsters with the logo on them, and I think if you register it w/ Ruger for the warranty that you get a discount coupon for the store?

http://shopruger.com/Double-Action/products/47/3/0

Also, i just bought a Galco DAO194 4" which stated on bag it was for a 4" REDHAWK. I found my 4" redhawk, a 4" S&W 29, my S&W 627 and my Alaskan fit in it great ( Alaskan has length to spare in the holster. Pretty good all around holster.

D.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Ruger STORE has a couple Alaskan holsters with the logo on them, and I think if you register it w/ Ruger for the warranty that you get a discount coupon for the store?

Double Action-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Also, i just bought a Galco DAO194 4" which stated on bag it was for a 4" REDHAWK. I found my 4" redhawk, a 4" S&W 29, my S&W 627 and my Alaskan fit in it great ( Alaskan has length to spare in the holster. Pretty good all around holster.

D.

Yes, I did the online warantee last night and got the coupon code for $20 off. Going to buy the hip holster with the tooled Ruger emblem. I have one for my SR 1911 and it's really nice.
I also ordered a Guides Choice chest holster from Diamond D Leather. It was expensive but looks to be top quality and had excellent reviews. I wear a pack when hunting and this rig is made for that. It won't interfere with the waist strap on my pack and will be handy right in the front for quick draw if I run into a griz.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Double Action-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

D.
errr..... the shopruger holster for the SA.

is it a shoulder/underarm rig or something else?
(just looking at the straps, can't figure it out)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You'll love it. I have the same beast only in 454 Casull. I just loaded up 50 rnds of 300 grain near maximum loads for mine. I hope to try them out in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That is a nice looking gun. I got to fondle one at my LGS a few days ago. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
"...they have a new Super Redhawk Alaskan sitting on the shelf... Five minutes later I was walking out the door with it..."

Beautiful, powerful gun!

It must be wonderful to be able to see a gun, buy it, and walk out the door with it.

The extensive paperwork, background checks, and 10 day waiting period here in CA. takes (most of) the joy out of the buying experience.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm hoping to shoot mine today, to see if the ISMI springs will pop .44 Magnum primers..........if not, the stock springs are going back in:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts