Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it's been a while since I've been around. I recently cracked the 3rd stock on my GSR. All 3 of them were Ruger supplied laminated stocks. Decided to try a Boyds this time around. Landed up getting a At One stock for it. Fit seems to be ok ---buuuuuuut when I tighten up the recoil lug bolt, the action is drawn to the rear of the stock and the bottom metal rides up on the back of the trigger and will not operate.

Anyone else have a similar experience with Boyds stock???
Not sure if I need to do a bit of inletting of just call Boyds and say it does not fit correctly

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have to ask ,"how did you manage to crack not one but three stocks"? I own a GSR .308 and would be interested in knowing if there is a flaw I haven't encountered yet.

Deacon Bob
I honestly don't know. They all crack behind the tang, I'll take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow. My first thought was that the recoil lug screw loosened but I have been vigilant about keeping it tight. Ruger warrantied the first one, then I cracked the one they sent me, swapped it out with one from a friend who had swapped out to a Boyds thumb hole a few years ago. I will admit I do put quite a few rounds thru this rifle. Last spring/summer my 8 year old grandson was putting between 10/20 rounds a week thru it.
Now I either need to get this Boyds to fit correctly or go down a differrent road with it

· Registered
299 Posts
That's a lot more than I have through mine even though it's several years old. There are a number of GSR owners on this forum so I look forward to their input & your future photo's of your completed project. Hope you get the info you need.

Deacon Bob

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here’s the trio. The top one is the original stock, and the next two are in order. Middle is second and bottom is third. All are cracked in the direction of the plys. I just tried to refit the new Boyd’s and I am thoroughly disappointed with it. I’ve taken some pictures of it and will send an email off to Boyd’s tomorrow.
Wood Tints and shades Lumber Pattern Hardwood
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Denim
Automotive tire Wood Tread Grey Trunk

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Don't Quote Me .... I think on the boyds you yourself has to do the fine tuning ... What I mean is ... There some places you have to sand down or use a dremel tool to take down some of the inside to fit ... I might be wrong but just my take on it ...

· Registered
Ruger: Model 19122 pc 9
4,546 Posts
I have used a boyds for a click clack savage. It took a little sanding to get it to fit just right. And before I finished it with stain and varnish.
On year 8 with the boyds. The original went from 1946 through 2010.
Vehicle door Wood Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Human leg

Shoe Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Wood

· Registered
934 Posts
When I torque the stock screws on my CZ455 to the Boyd's stock, the bolt will not operate, as the rear screw interferes with its operation. I will have to shorten the rear screw; additionally, I had to do some inletting to provide adequate barrel float. I think this is not unusual for aftermarket stocks.
Anyone else have a similar experience with Boyds stock???
Not sure if I need to do a bit of inletting of just call Boyds and say it does not fit correctly

· Registered
671 Posts
3 broken GSR stocks that must be a world record ,,,,Ruger need to issue you some sort of trophy or medal for your gun room wall, We have harshly treated/worked a.308 GSR from day one in a manner that would of made the engineers at Ruger cry a little. I didn't think it was honestly possible to break one without cheating and using an axe. We bought one of these stocks ages ago ,jumped through all the hoops and filled out 3 reams of paper to get it imported down here its been pretty good.

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wel folks I sat down on Friday, had te day off, and spent some quality time with the BOyds stock. I also had one of the Ruger stocks on the bench and used it as a control model. Essentially there was more than minor fitting work that needed to be done to make this thing fit my rifle. The depth and location for the bottom metal, trigger guard was shallow and too far foward. The hole for the recoil lug screw was not a hole, it was a slot. Considerable amount of material would have to be removed from the barrel channel to be able to free float the barrel. I also looked at the inletting around the area where the safety mechanisim is in the stock, that are was off as well. Over all i was truely dissappointed in the fit and finish of the stock beyond the fitment issues. The molded pieces at the pistol grip did not fit well and were sort of floppy.
All in all in my mind this does not add up to minor fitting by the customer. I called Boyds on Friday and got an RMA number and it is on its way back to them. I've sent a note off to Ruger to see what they can do for me. Honestly if I have to buy a stock from them I will, but I'd like to see if I can get a walnut one that they are putting on the 450 Bushmaster. Barrel profile is probably different but I'll ask.

Sambar Hunter
I really wish I could say the stocks were broken from abuse, but that's not the case. Rifle has never been dropped or banged around. It does get the snot shot out of it, I wouldn't be surprised if I have to rebarrel it in another year or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts