Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take my TD out to the range and run some rounds through it. Before heading out to the range I popped it apart and gave it a quick cleaning and wipe down. In addition to the cleaning, I followed the Ruger steps for fitting the barrel and stock sections. I am pleased to say that the accuracy was superb and it came apart after without issue.

I did though seem to struggle with the bolt release button. This is my first 10/22 and so I had to become familiar with this Ruger feature. I did find the button and bolt combo a bit awkward to engage. I don't know if I am doing it wrong, but I would have to pull back on the bolt while fiddling with the button to get it to release and slide forward and as well to have it stay open. Maybe my technique needs some work and I am spoiled by my pistol's slide release button.

Anyway it was only a test run at the range and I have more mags on the way, so next time there will be more target time and less loading time. I give the TD a big thumbs up though. Am really loving it. :) Thanks to all here for the great information that helped my pick it out!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Bill, maybe yours needs a drop of lube on it to get it working better. Yes, it's kind of a small control, but basically pull back on the handle on the bolt. Toggle the release down to lock the bolt and up to release it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad you liked it. I just took mine to the range today for the first time too. Struggle a little with the bolt release but getting used to it. It is a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, maybe yours needs a drop of lube on it to get it working better. Yes, it's kind of a small control, but basically pull back on the handle on the bolt. Toggle the release down to lock the bolt and up to release it.
Yeah, I'm gonna break it down and clean it and make sure I get everything moving as best it can. I also really need to practice my technique. I wish it was more of a button than a blade, but oh well it works! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bill,
Most of us, me included, are often guilty of not reading the manual fully. Ruger explains this procedure, which is actually quite simple, in just a few sentences. Yes, I was guilty of fumbling and swearing at the the bolt lock too but once I figured it out, I had no more issues with it. I'm also one of the few who don't like to do the auto-bolt release mod as I don't like the bolt slamming closed when I inadvertently hit it with the the tip of the rod while cleaning. Of course, you shouldn't have this issue since you can clean a take-down from the chamber side as it is so easy to separate the barrel.

Ditto explained it admirably in one sentence but here it is, verbatim, from the manual
To lock the bolt open:
Retract the bolt handle to its extreme rearward position and while holding it there press in the lower section of the bolt lock. Release pressure on the bolt handle and it will move forward a fraction of an inch and be locked in its open position.

To release the bolt:
Retract the bolt handle to its extreme rearward position and then press in on the upper section of the bolt lock. Release the bolt and it will move fully forward.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Once you get used to it you can do it in your sleep. I don't know if it makes any differance but I'm a lefty and I think its easy.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
*RTFM*

Read the fantastic manual!

Of course, I haven't either! LOL!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Put quite a few rounds through my 10/22TD yesterday. Really a sweet gun. Then took it squirrel hunting. No luck hunting but a lot of fun shooting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have you ever heard of the auto bolt release mod? If not try it, you will like it. I have seen too many people fumble with the bolt release. I shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge matches and when I see people have that problem I tell them about the mod. I've done the mod on all my 10/22s. All I have to do is pull the bolt back and let it go and it releases every time. Aftermarket companies sell a bolt release that has already been modified or you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always read the manuals to my new stuff. Not because I particularly want to, but because I have nothing else to do while I wait to use my new stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I popped the receiver apart yesterday and wiped down and lubed the bolt and guide rod assembly. The spring and rod were a bit sticky and after a dab of rail grease and working them a bit, the reassembly was much smoother. It made it much easier to manipulate the bolt while working the button.

Thanks for all the advice.

BTW I got a Kidd Auto bolt release as well and am looking forward to trying that out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I struggled with my takedown for a bit at first too.. I thought maybe it was defective but after messing around a bit and practicing it became pretty much 2nd nature.

I think they forgot in the manual the line "as you are doing this step hold your mouth just right"!

Its just a matter of practice..

Good luck -- I really enjoy mine -- I have a short little BSA scope on mine that is really nice.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts