Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum and the world of rugged ownership, just picked up a tang safety 77 in .300 Win Mag. Looking forward to getting to know it! In my post purchase research, I found out about the trigger adjustment screw recall, any way to tell if it's been complied with?

I also unfortunately have read a lot of the negative rumor about the accuracy of the early 77's, which I hope is mostly internet exaggeration, I'd love to hear from owners about their experiences with it! Anything in particular she'll like in terms of factory loads(I don't reload myself quite yet), trigger polish, etc.? Planning to at least start with polishing the trigger mech. as soon as it comes in.

Good to meet all, looking forward to learning and sharing!

-Pete

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello all,

New to the forum and the world of rugged ownership, just picked up a tang safety 77 in .300 Win Mag. Looking forward to getting to know it! In my post purchase research, I found out about the trigger adjustment screw recall, any way to tell if it's been complied with?
I don't remember exactly, but I think they stamped something on the bottom side of the bolt handle root... A dot, a letter "T," or something... I don't remember.

I have a tang safety M77RL Ultralight that I bought new in 1985. It wasn't subject to any recall.

Yours might not be, either, depending on when it was made. I think 1985 was the cut-off year; older than that, it probably needs the trigger adjustment screw.

But I'm talking out of my arse here. All I really remember is that mine didn't need the replacement trigger adjustment screw according to Ruger. I don't remember for certain what they did to identify that the recall work had been performed. I sure someone else with a better memory will post up, though.

I also unfortunately have read a lot of the negative rumor about the accuracy of the early 77's, which I hope is mostly internet exaggeration, I'd love to hear from owners about their experiences with it!
It's not all exaggeration. The reason I still have the M77RL in .250 Savage is that grouped down to .660" for 5 shots at 100 yards from new and still does three decades later. But I've had four different M77R's in .30-'06 and they were somewhat less stellar. Three-shot groups out them might have been M.O.A. or better, but add two more shots to that group and it would open to 1.5 or so.

They all worked in the field. Bang, flop.... Every time.

In my experience, they're sensitive to two things... One is that the sheet steel magazine insert needs to have a bit of "float" when the floorplate is closed on a barreled action properly torqued to the stock, and the other is the proper torque of the action screws seemed to influence how well those that I've had would group. I forget, off hand, what those torque values are for each of the screws. I just know I get better results when they're torqued to spec. I have that stuff written down at home but I'm on the road right now and don't have access to the info.

Anything in particular she'll like in terms of factory loads(I don't reload myself quite yet)
That's a question without an answer, in the sense that no two M77R's in .300 Win Mag, or any given caliber, are EXACTLY the same. What works great in someone else's rifle might suck in yours. Or it might not. The only way to really know what your gun is going to like is to try a few different types of .300 Win Mag cartridges in it.

, trigger polish, etc.? Planning to at least start with polishing the trigger mech. as soon as it comes in.
The trigger on my M77RL was fine, right out of the box. It hasn't been polished, tweaked, adjusted, modified, or replaced. No need to. Yours might not need to be messed with, either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
M77 Mk1's are great rifles. I wouldn't do anything to the trigger until I shot the rifle with some factory ammo. You can email Ruger about your trigger question. If your M77 is like mine, it's a hunting rifle and will shoot 3 or 4 rounds before you need to let the barrel cool. I would clean it, look it over carefully and have some fun. great rifle in a great caliber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! ....still waiting on it to ship over! I suppose I'll email them to get their input once I've got the SN....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts