Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to the range today and the truck started to vibrate bad so I had to turn around and drive directly to a tire store. By the time I got there the left rear tire had completely came apart.:mad:

$772.46 later and I'm back on the road. Guess I'll go to the range tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I was driving to the range today and the truck started to vibrate bad so I had to turn around and drive directly to a tire store. By the time I got there the left rear tire had completely came apart.:mad:

What a bargain! How many coffees/molassescookies/icecreams would that be for you? LOL :p

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I feel your pain. That $300 I was going to spend to renew my range membership??? I just remembered my car registration is due next month!

Oh well... :(

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I got a big "run around" from a major tire retailer over something that I'm still not sure how to handle...I bought a new set of tires for my 3/4 ton Suburban last November (almost $1500)..I took it in about 3 weeks ago to have the rotation and balance that is recommended every 5000 miles (you can tell I don't drive much)....While there I asked them to check the air in the spare...the kid came to me and said the spare is brand new but is over 10 years old and he was not allowed "to touch it or put air in it"...he asked if I'd like to buy a new tire (nearly $200)..I said no and didn't think anything much more about it...I seldom open the rear doors on the vehicle as I don't tow nor put much in there unless I'm hauling building materials, etc...this weekend I opened the rear doors to put a cabinet in there and lo and behold the spare (normally mounted standing up along one side with a tire cover on it) was just tossed in the back with the cover torn and the metal parts that hold it scattered in the back. I called the tire store and talked to the manager and he said that since I had asked the kid to check the air that I had in fact authorized him to remove it in anticipation of selling me a new tire....he said the 10 year "rule" is nation wide and enforced by all tire retailers at the suggestion of the tire manufacturers. I sort of lost my cool and went in and faced the manager...nice enough chap but felt I was getting the run around...I asked if it was California or Federal law for the 10 year deal..he said neither...it's the tire manufactrers and retailers "decision"...When I asked what needed to be done to get things put back (I'm disabled, 75 and with only one lung and the tire and wheel weighs about 50#) he said he'd sell me a "current model used tire" and put things back together...so now he wants to sell me a used tire to replace the never on the ground, brand new spare....I said I'd contact the California state dept of consumer affairs about it..he said "ok you win" and that if I wouldn't tell anyone he'd go ahead and put the spare and all the parts back where they had come from...he spent about 20 minutes wrestling things back in place...I said thanks and left. I emailed the home office of the company and am waiting to hear back...What a bunch of horse doughnuts..I live close to the Mexican border and I'll bet 2/3 of the cars that come across the border every day (thousands of them) are running on tires that are bald, 20 years old and all torn up...No tickets are given, no fines are levied as it's not a law...it's some sort of collusion between manufacturers and retailers..I know safety first and that's why I bought the 4 new tires in the first place but the spare? never on the ground and always covered? Not usable?? .Anyone else ever face this kind of thing?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I got a big "run around" from a major tire retailer over something that I'm still not sure how to handle...I bought a new set of tires for my 3/4 ton Suburban last November (almost $1500)..I took it in about 3 weeks ago to have the rotation and balance that is recommended every 5000 miles (you can tell I don't drive much)....While there I asked them to check the air in the spare...the kid came to me and said the spare is brand new but is over 10 years old and he was not allowed "to touch it or put air in it"...he asked if I'd like to buy a new tire (nearly $200)..I said no and didn't think anything much more about it...I seldom open the rear doors on the vehicle as I don't tow nor put much in there unless I'm hauling building materials, etc...this weekend I opened the rear doors to put a cabinet in there and lo and behold the spare (normally mounted standing up along one side with a tire cover on it) was just tossed in the back with the cover torn and the metal parts that hold it scattered in the back. I called the tire store and talked to the manager and he said that since I had asked the kid to check the air that I had in fact authorized him to remove it in anticipation of selling me a new tire....he said the 10 year "rule" is nation wide and enforced by all tire retailers at the suggestion of the tire manufacturers. I sort of lost my cool and went in and faced the manager...nice enough chap but felt I was getting the run around...I asked if it was California or Federal law for the 10 year deal..he said neither...it's the tire manufactrers and retailers "decision"...When I asked what needed to be done to get things put back (I'm disabled, 75 and with only one lung and the tire and wheel weighs about 50#) he said he'd sell me a "current model used tire" and put things back together...so now he wants to sell me a used tire to replace the never on the ground, brand new spare....I said I'd contact the California state dept of consumer affairs about it..he said "ok you win" and that if I wouldn't tell anyone he'd go ahead and put the spare and all the parts back where they had come from...he spent about 20 minutes wrestling things back in place...I said thanks and left. I emailed the home office of the company and am waiting to hear back...What a bunch of horse doughnuts..I live close to the Mexican border and I'll bet 2/3 of the cars that come across the border every day (thousands of them) are running on tires that are bald, 20 years old and all torn up...No tickets are given, no fines are levied as it's not a law...it's some sort of collusion between manufacturers and retailers..I know safety first and that's why I bought the 4 new tires in the first place but the spare? never on the ground and always covered? Not usable?? .Anyone else ever face this kind of thing?
I've never heard of that, either, but I've never had a 10 year old spare. Mine is coming up on it, but it's just 7 years old (almost).

I have had that happen to me before and it was in CA. I don't remember where, but I never went back there again. I was plenty able to do it myself, but I think it was on my Astro Van.

I'm betting it "is" a policy, but how many people have been hurt by exploding 10 year old spare tires??? I'll bet not many! (if any)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I've never heard of that, either, but I've never had a 10 year old spare. Mine is coming up on it, but it's just 7 years old (almost).

I have had that happen to me before and it was in CA. I don't remember where, but I never went back there again. I was plenty able to do it myself, but I think it was on my Astro Van.

I'm betting it "is" a policy, but how many people have been hurt by exploding 10 year old spare tires??? I'll bet not many! (if any)
The tire retailer is based in your great state...I think they just "feed" in California...I'll bet they don't have the same "rule" in Phoenix....some fun, eh?

·
Registered
725 Posts

I need new truck tires, but I don't have the money right now. what brand did you buy that gave you the trouble?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tire that flew apart was 11 years old. I can see their point but they should have put the tire back when you declined a new one. If it were me and they didn't replace it I would have made out a stolen item report with the police.

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
The tire retailer is based in your great state...I think they just "feed" in California...I'll bet they don't have the same "rule" in Phoenix....some fun, eh?
Who is the retailer?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The industry "lifespan" of a tire is 7 years. This means the defects in material and workmanship warranty is voided after 7 years FROM THE MANUFACTURED date, not the date you bought them. All tires have a date code on the sidewall. There may also be a mileage warranty from the manufacturer or retailer. This is a different warranty. However, both of these warranties are only valid if the wear pattern on the tire is even. This precludes alignment, air pressure and other premature tire wear associated with normal maintenance responsibilities of the consumer. There is no doubt this is a scare tactic to generate another tire sale. Call your local news channel and have them expose these pieces of s#%*

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The industry "lifespan" of a tire is 7 years. This means the defects in material and workmanship warranty is voided after 7 years FROM THE MANUFACTURED date, not the date you bought them. All tires have a date code on the sidewall. There may also be a mileage warranty from the manufacturer or retailer. This is a different warranty. However, both of these warranties are only valid if the wear pattern on the tire is even. This precludes alignment, air pressure and other premature tire wear associated with normal maintenance responsibilities of the consumer. There is no doubt this is a scare tactic to generate another tire sale. Call your local news channel and have them expose these pieces of s#%*
My guess is they have time limits because someone wrecked their car because a tire blew that was old and they blamed the tire store because they said it was safe.

Drive down the freeway and look at all the old tires that have blown out. My guess is these weren't new tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seen a documentary on this a while back where a man purchased 4 new tires for his vehicle because his young son and some of his friends were going on a vacation. During the trip they had a tire failure which resulted in an accident that killed some of the kids. It was determined that the tires which were sold as new tires because they had never been on a vehicle before were actually over five years old. They went to some nationally known tire stores and purchased tires that were as much as 9 years old. So from now on when I purchase tires I check the manufacture date before I allow them to mount the tires on my vehicle, my safety and the safety of my family is worth it to me.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seen a documentary on this a while back where a man purchased 4 new tires for his vehicle because his young son and some of his friends were going on a vacation. During the trip they had a tire failure which resulted in an accident that killed some of the kids. It was determined that the tires which were sold as new tires because they had never been on a vehicle before were actually over five years old. They went to some nationally known tire stores and purchased tires that were as much as 9 years old. So from now on when I purchase tires I check the manufacture date before I allow them to mount the tires on my vehicle, my safety and the safety of my family is worth it to me.
I'll check the dates on my "new" tires in the morning. thanks

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
They don't last forever 303. :D
I put new tyres on my daily drive every year.
I only get about 35,000 kms out of them.
If I replaced with what was originally on the car they would be almost $600 each.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That kind of stuff really ticks me off. First off, who the bleep are they to tell you that they can't put air in your spare in order to protect you from yourself? Second, they should have the decency to put everything back the way they found it.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That kind of stuff really ticks me off. First off, who the bleep are they to tell you that they can't put air in your spare in order to protect you from yourself? Second, they should have the decency to put everything back the way they found it.
Lawsuits dictate what they can and can not do.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They don't last forever 303. :D
I put new tyres on my daily drive every year.
I only get about 35,000 kms out of them.
If I replaced with what was originally on the car they would be almost $600 each.
I can remember when tires only lasted 10,000 miles. The tires I bought are 50,000 mile tires. I usually get that many miles out of tires. I even get a lot of miles out of brakes.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Who is the retailer?
They are South western only...4 or 5 states...while I've got them stirred up and have written their home office I'm going to hold off on names...they sell most of the more popular name brands as a distributor..they are not a manufacturer outlet like a Firestone store or like that...just a big distrubutor with multiple brands...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts