Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 10/22 for years and it is one of my favorite small caliber rifles. I am looking to build a custom one or two... I have no desire to make it look "cool" if I want to shoot an AR i'll shoot the AR. That being said I want to use it for both target/plinking and small game. I have heard both good and bad on Hogue over-molded stocks. The one main con being that it is too light. I also am looking for a longer, fluted, heavy barrel. Besides that the only other thing I would like is to have the ability to mount both a sling and a bipod.

Ok Gents... and Ladies let me hear your opinions on products and builds.

Much appreciated!

MrSchibbles

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Without regard for looks or cost...

The Fajen stock has the features that appeal to me the most...you have seen pics of mine modified...they are $80 shipped from optics planet if it is of interest to you...

Fajen® Legacy Series Rug 10/22 Silhouette Stock Fixed Version

This stock is the stiffest plastic stock I have seen...

The features I like best are the grip...notice how it angles forward at the bottom...I love that...many stocks out there are the opposite...super low heel drop...lowest I am aware of... lets you mount the scope lower without getting a kink in your neck...and the fact that it is highly flexible with removable cheek rest and butt extension...

As for the barrel...my preference is aluminum...you can get a whistle pig aluminum barrel 16" to 20" that is bentz chamber...and with compensator cut into the barrel...even at 20" it is still a full 1/2 pound lighter than the factory 18" tapered barrel...

If I were setting mine up for hunting at this time...based on what I have now and have had...and the fact that I want light weight...I would use the Ruger DSP stock I already have channeled for the .920 with a compensated whistle pig 20" barrel and a Leupold 3-9x33mm EFR scope mounted on a Weaver multi-slot rail with Leupold Rifleman Low rings...

Total weight on the gun as I would make mine for hunting would be under 6lbs loaded with the scope...approximately 5-3/4 lbs...

Most people with Target/hunting rifles...especially on a budget seem to favor the Green Mountain steel .920 barrels...with the stock of their choice...and a big scope...maybe something like a Bushnell 6-24x44mm AO...just for an example...

I would say weight/cost and the range you want to be able to be extremely accurate for hunting as to what barrel/scope you choose...

As for stock...features/cost...

Lots of stocks to choose from...my second choice would have been the Archangel target stock...however, it doesn't have enough heel drop for me...and the cheek rest is too high for low mounted peep sights...and too low for a scope mounted high enough to compensate the lack of heel drop...

Those are my opinions...most people seem to like other stuff...

Boyd's makes really nice wood stocks...similar dimensions to the Archangel target stock...and there are a lot of others as well...

Like you...I see no reason to get an AR style stock...even for purely tactical I'd rather have mine than any tactical stock I have seen...same for the barrel...the 16" aluminum barrel rocks for that...more than accurate enough at 60 yards and very short/light...can't beat it...hunting at 100 yards is another story...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have had a 10/22 for years and it is one of my favorite small caliber rifles. I am looking to build a custom one or two...

That being said I want to use it for both target/plinking and small game. I have heard both good and bad on Hogue over-molded stocks.

I also am looking for a longer, fluted, heavy barrel.

Besides that the only other thing I would like is to have the ability to mount both a sling and a bipod.
I just walked upstairs from putting my second "working class custom 10/22" job together.

Inspired by a recent exchange with Zommygun and Iowegan, I ordered a 16.5" Green Mountain Barrel, blued, fluted, and installed the assembly in a Hogue OD over-molded stock. It wears a Nikon 2X-7X camo scope, that is both very clear, and as a slug gun scope, has a slightly thicker reticle, paralax set for 75yds.

Weight is more than the stock barrel, of course, but the balance is much nicer that my first attempt with a 20" non-fluted tube, that just never felt right to me. It didn't balance/carry well in the woods.

The Green Mountain barrel was a closer fit than the original. Mt first heavy barrel from another supplier, purchased as a kit from same, was not as well or as close for fit.

I found the Hogue to be very good for fit, no need for force, but snug. The stock finish, I knew I'd like, was based on handling several Hogue's. No surprises, no disappointments. It comes with sling studs, I could easily mount a bipod. I think they are not my choice for squirrels and such.

My design intent was improved balance, and with a bit of luck, better accuracy. I have a couple trigger tweaks on board already. I added a Power Custom trigger/hammer/sear a while back. Modest cost, much smoother and lighter with overtravel adjustment. 0 problems on the install.

I totally see the attraction of a super custom 10/22 competition gun. But I don't compete, except with my daughters. Even then I'm rarely a winner. Seems 40 years of aging is some kind of handicap, when going against 18-22 year old athletes that have been shooting bows, rifles and shotguns for several years, and wear glasses, with dark lenses when it is really sunny.

As working class conversions go, I'm really pleased with the weight, balance, and feel of my upgraded toy. I'm hoping accuracy is enough to dust the princess team with their 10/22 compacts soon, and I haven't told them what's coming. I'll get the jump while they are running cross country, high school/college, and can only shoot every 2-3 weekends. No prisoners.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Read the forum !

I have had a 10/22 for years and it is one of my favorite small caliber rifles. I am looking to build a custom one or two... I have no desire to make it look "cool" if I want to shoot an AR i'll shoot the AR. That being said I want to use it for both target/plinking and small game. I have heard both good and bad on Hogue over-molded stocks. The one main con being that it is too light. I also am looking for a longer, fluted, heavy barrel. Besides that the only other thing I would like is to have the ability to mount both a sling and a bipod.

Ok Gents... and Ladies let me hear your opinions on products and builds.

Much appreciated!

MrSchibbles
Welcome to the forum.

There are quite a number of great aftermarket products for the 10/22. Do what most everyone else does, read forum threads, read product reviews…..research… research. This forum is loaded with great info and reviews.

I am finishing up a new build, started with a #1151 carbine, Hogue overmolded stock, Nikon scope, Timney trigger. Picked the parts on sale, some here, some here, over time…..

Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You asked......Get away from all these kids making it looking "cool"; Cool does not make it a shooter...Start with a good trigger job...I have mentioned David at Brimstone Gun smithing more than once; he can work magic with a tier 2 trigger job for $70....then either get a barrel job done (Que barrel work) or a replacement barrel...then I would look at the stock (esp if you opt for a .920 barrel) that will get you into 1/2 " or less grouping at 50 yards if you do your part......Just my 2 cents on the subject....I like guns that shoot....not guns that look cool.....I sometimes wish the kids would stay out of these sites...but then again they have to learn someplace too..... Shoot straight and shoot often.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Get away from all these kids making it looking "cool"; Cool does not make it a shooter...
I suspect that the larger portion of forum members are "kids", so I won't touch that one with a 10' pole. Kids being anyone under 40, or some other arbitrary number. ?????

A trigger job is a good start, but it will not turn a 18" sporter weight barrel into a tack driver in most serious shooters opinions. If a decent gunsmith can turn that around in 2 hours @ $75.hr, I'd be amazed. More than that and a barrel swap is a less expensive option.

Trigger upgrades can run from a simple spring replacement ($10) > removing the burrs and rough contact surfaces (free unless you trash the job, then lots) > to a good set of drop in trigger parts ($50-$100) > to a complete assembly$200-$400). I'm living with a spring replacement and a Power Custom hammer and sear.

I didn't see much improvement with the stock barrel in terms of group size from a bench rested gun, but ammo is a factor in accuracy. I didn't evaluate gauged and weighed, as the stock barrel was a 1"/10 shot/50yd barrel, at best, with anything I tried. Even a couple brands of target ammo failed to show much improvement.

The Green Mountain barrel was a dramatic change. It won't turn Remington Thunderbolt into much more than a 3/4" load, if the ammo is sorted with a gauge, and weighed, but Federal HS/HSHP, and Winchester HS/HSHP will both do 1/2"/10 shots, Remington is close to that, all unsorted.

I went with a plain vanilla Hogue stock, as I like the feel and balance with the GM barrel, and though some experience problems with "erratic" barrel contact, I haven't seen that yet. The 2X-7X Nikon Prostaff slug scope can see good enough for head shots on squirrels at 75yds.

Look cool? Not sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the money Green Mountain barrels are hard to beat....yes, there are better ones out there but not for the cost of a GM...Stocks are a matter of likes....I personally like the Pro Mag Archangel Deluxe Target flavor.....but in my humble opinion the first thing you should do is do something with that garbage that Ruger calls a trigger........LOL

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
For the money Green Mountain barrels are hard to beat....yes, there are better ones out there but not for the cost of a GM...Stocks are a matter of likes....I personally like the Pro Mag Archangel Deluxe Target flavor.....but in my humble opinion the first thing you should do is do something with that garbage that Ruger calls a trigger........LOL
The garbage trigger your talking about must be on newer ones?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The garbage trigger your talking about must be on newer ones?
Yes Gunny....I have a newer model and I measured the trigger pull on straight from the factory....9 lbs....!!! Yes, that's right 9 lbs...and as gritty as could be. Que has done a factory barrel for my shooting buddy and I think it would stand up to most better barrels (light weight) out there....don't knock the work till you have seen it....that being said I do have a Green Mountain .920 18 inch fluted on my 10/22....and yes it will shoot....as long as I don't forget to do my part......

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yes Gunny....I have a newer model and I measured the trigger pull on straight from the factory....9 lbs....!!! Yes, that's right 9 lbs...and as gritty as could be. Que has done a factory barrel for my shooting buddy and I think it would stand up to most better barrels (light weight) out there....don't knock the work till you have seen it....that being said I do have a Green Mountain .920 18 inch fluted on my 10/22....and yes it will shoot....as long as I don't forget to do my part......
I'm not knocking trigger jobs. I just couldn't figure out what was wrong with factory trigger. Your sounds like it needed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts