Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ruger folks.
I just bought a new 10/22--basic carbine at the lowest end of the line.
I grew up on bolt guns some 50-60 years ago. An old Stevens single-shot was my first .22. Since then I've had bolt-actions exclusively.
Now my grandson would like to shoot. But it's a different era. A single-shot Stevens won't make sense to him.
I lurked around on your site a bit, and it looks like you folks believe in your 10/22s. So I bought one. (Still ten days before I can shoot it--can't even handle it yet--thanks to California politicians and media opportunists!!!)

Hope to see that these auto-loaders shoot good and straight and don't jam up too much.
Looking forward to it.
Angky.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Congratulations on your new 10/22, enjoy.
Your laws in Cal. are a little similiar to ours, but no semi auto rifles in AU.

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Welcome from the Gold Country. You're going to like that Ruger. Nothing wrong with teaching the Grandson how to shoot that old Stevens! :D

· Administrator
23,662 Posts
The beauty of a single shot is not only safety but it teaches the youngster to shoot. The you only have one shot make it count mentality.
The 10/22 is a fine rifle that you can do a lot with. Good luck.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 10/22. They tend to be extremely reliable and not at all picky about ammo. You may want to break yours in with a couple hundred rounds of CCI mini mags, but you really don't even have to do that if you don't want to. While the 10/22 does not seem to have a tack driver reputation, I'm pretty sure that a stock 10/22 is inherently more accurate than we are.

Hope you get loads of enjoyment. Keep us posted!

· Registered
74 Posts
Even the lowest of teh range is a great gun. As mentioned, mini mags for 2-300 rounds may help the gun break in with few if any mis-fires. I can't say it does or doesn't work however that's how I did mine and it's a great shooter. Also, the cheapest .22LR ammo like golden bullets and thunderbolts seem to give many people misfire problems. Not all but enough that I noticed a trend.

· Registered
3,560 Posts
Besure to clean you new gun before your first trip to the range.

Relube per the manual and be careful not to over lube. In a semi less is more. Mags usually work best totally dry.

With a semi you'll go through a lot more ammo so expect the insides to crude up faster (so it will seem).

As far as buying a 10/22; I've never heard of one wearing out and there are 1000s of after market 'upgrades' to be had. You can make a complete hobby out of just a 10/22.

Welcome!

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow!
Lotsa guys on here welcoming me (us--me and grandkid).
I have a question that sorta raised up as I was reading your replies.
Cleaning a bolt gun makes sense; just pull the bolt and run a rod up from the breech.
But an auto-loader; how do I clean that without ruining the crown of the muzzle? Or should I lap it after every time I clean it to take away any roughness caused by cramming a cleaning rod down from the muzzle?
Or is there another way to do it?
Angky.

· Registered
41 Posts
Two tips for a new 10/22 owner, both already mentioned: Stay with the factory Ruger mags at first (preferably the rotary ten-rounders), and run it with CCI ammo. I just took my 10/22 out shooting a couple days ago, and I bought some Remington hollow points for the first time in ages as nobody had any CCI in stock. I had three misfires out of 200 rounds. Even re-chambering the duds and trying to fire them again was fruitless. Basically, anything but CCI is crap in domestic .22 ammo. The main thing to always remember with a semi-auto is that the chamber is instantly reloaded every time you pull the trigger, so ammunition that has a tendency to jam or misfire increases the danger level when you have to stop shooting and clear the malfunction.

· Registered
2,523 Posts
CCI Mini Mags are the best overall ammo to use in the new gun imo...the price is not really that bad...

If you have problems with it not cycling don't worry they can all be fixed...

If it jambs consistently using mini mags with the factory 10 round mag due to 'stove pipes' which are empty cases that don't get fully ejected get a Sharp Claw extractor they are cheap and that usually does the trick for most people...

When new mine stove piped every 2 or three rounds and wound up sitting in the closet for over ten years as I wasn't interested in dealing with it...put a Sharp Claw extractor in it and problem solved instantly...

Bulk ammo is great for spending lots of rounds having fun and a few don't go bang or get stuck it's no big deal but when hunting or self defense use only Mini-Mags imo...

Also...if you want to use your 10/22 in "bolt-action" mode which is actually not a bad thing imo when teaching a kid to shoot (I would make them learn on a bolt one round at a time first anyway) you can get CCI Quiet ammo...not only is it infinitely less noise from high velocity it also won't cycle the bolt do you have to many rack it for each shot like a bolt action...

If it were mine...I would get an aftermarket bolt release...it will allow you to let the bolt close from being locked open w/o depressing the little release mechanism...

IMO...fumbling with the bolt release thingy while trying to get a live round into battery is not a good way to go about loading a rifle...

So these two simple modifications can make a huge difference imo...

This one I would do no matter what...

http://www.tacticalinc.com/auto-bol...p-1346.html?osCsid=2tv406e8869nf2duqrntj99v41

Videos on youtube regarding the bolt release...

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....2.2.0.88.619.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.Mzb0vyeyzyI

This one I would do no matter what also based on my personal experience but if it is not stove piping on you then you don't need it...

http://www.tacticalinc.com/sharp-cl...p-1392.html?osCsid=vaeoo3665s23l5vog1b7073u54

I would also highly recommend better sights too...

Some are relatively cheap...some cost a pretty penny...

The Williams RU-22 is a good low cost way to get started and a huge improvement over factory sights imo...

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....125.1633.23j2.25.0...0.0...1ac.1.idCCwahJL00

MidwayUSA.com is great place to shop of stuff for your 10/22...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=williams+sights+10/22

There several ways you can clean your gun from the correct end...one is you drill a hole in the rear of the receiver and clean like a bolt action with a rod...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/25020-drill-those-receivers.html?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2zxnMzhTk

There is a Ruger factory video on youtube but they run the rod down the bore and then attach the patch and pull out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6Mfl_2AMo

I use a flexible cable type run in from the muzzle then insert patch and pull out...mine is not otis but I have the equal of their 17-22 cal micro kit...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=otis+gun+cleaning+kit&sortby=3&itemsperpage=12

· Registered
17,835 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

· Registered
168 Posts
The nice thing about a 10/22 is that they shoot, and shoot well outathabox, even if you do nothing to them but fill the magazine and pull the trigger. I'm a happy camper with my stock sporter and it shoots pretty fine. ;)

Welcome from the Granite State.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two tips for a new 10/22 owner, both already mentioned: Stay with the factory Ruger mags at first (preferably the rotary ten-rounders), and run it with CCI ammo. I just took my 10/22 out shooting a couple days ago, and I bought some Remington hollow points for the first time in ages as nobody had any CCI in stock. I had three misfires out of 200 rounds. Even re-chambering the duds and trying to fire them again was fruitless. Basically, anything but CCI is crap in domestic .22 ammo. The main thing to always remember with a semi-auto is that the chamber is instantly reloaded every time you pull the trigger, so ammunition that has a tendency to jam or misfire increases the danger level when you have to stop shooting and clear the malfunction.
Sure do appreciate the info!!!
I'd probably have found it out before too long, but I don't like that kind of learning when I can get it easy--like you just offered it.
Very useful knowledge!
And as to Remington .22 ammo. I have a bolt .22 and I know what a hassle it is to pull the trigger, wait 30, pull it out and find a spare place to put the piece-a-junk so it won't go off with somebody driving over it. Remington .22s are just bullets in front of powder with a good chance of it going "bang".

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.