Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks to you too, ZommyGun, for a lot of good info. And stuff I'd never have thought of.
The reason I got the 10/22 is because I was told it could be modified up the ying-yang and that is what my grandsons are all about--putting junk onto something that is already good enough. So they will probably get a real thrill when they see all the stuff you're mentioning and all the stuff they can add to the gun. Probably won't even look like a gun I'd want to shoot when they get done with it. But they'll learn lots and that's what it's all about.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Congratulations on your new 10/22, enjoy.
Your laws in Cal. are a little similiar to ours, but no semi auto rifles in AU.
From Australia! Long ways from where I live--although I used to live just northeast of you--in Ambon.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Welcome from the Gold Country. You're going to like that Ruger. Nothing wrong with teaching the Grandson how to shoot that old Stevens! :D
Yup! Gold Country.
Hwy 49 has a lot of tracks on it from my scooter. Almost hit a bear cub one evening just after dusk. Decided I needed some self-defense against momma bear. (NOT the 10/22, by the way...!!!)
Anyway, Gold Country it is.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The beauty of a single shot is not only safety but it teaches the youngster to shoot. The you only have one shot make it count mentality.
The 10/22 is a fine rifle that you can do a lot with. Good luck.
That single-shot mentality sure made an impression on me. Also the fact that a box of .22 LR cost me $.55 for 50 rounds--after a 5-mile ride to Roy's Chevron station on my balloon-tire bicycle. I sure metered out those "expensive" rounds pretty carefully. I had a few pennies, but seldom 55 of them at one time!
A good mental frame of mind to have; wish we had a few more folks of that mentality in some of the round-domes with white paint on them.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can't go wrong with a 10/22. They tend to be extremely reliable and not at all picky about ammo. You may want to break yours in with a couple hundred rounds of CCI mini mags, but you really don't even have to do that if you don't want to. While the 10/22 does not seem to have a tack driver reputation, I'm pretty sure that a stock 10/22 is inherently more accurate than we are.

Hope you get loads of enjoyment. Keep us posted!
I see other guys mentioning CCI mini mags for the 10/22. Sounds like the way to go.
And I'm glad for the info about its accuracy. Helps to keep my expectations in line.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Hello Ruger folks.
I just bought a new 10/22--basic carbine at the lowest end of the line.
I grew up on bolt guns some 50-60 years ago. An old Stevens single-shot was my first .22. Since then I've had bolt-actions exclusively.
Now my grandson would like to shoot. But it's a different era. A single-shot Stevens won't make sense to him.
I lurked around on your site a bit, and it looks like you folks believe in your 10/22s. So I bought one. (Still ten days before I can shoot it--can't even handle it yet--thanks to California politicians and media opportunists!!!)

Hope to see that these auto-loaders shoot good and straight and don't jam up too much.
Looking forward to it.
Angky.
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix! You're going to love that 10/22. It's a classic design that's been around since the 60's and they've certainly gotten all the bugs worked out. I just got my first one about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it and the cost of what it takes to shoot it. For less than the price of 50 .45's I can buy 525 rounds of .22LR. That works for me. :D

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Even the lowest of teh range is a great gun. As mentioned, mini mags for 2-300 rounds may help the gun break in with few if any mis-fires. I can't say it does or doesn't work however that's how I did mine and it's a great shooter. Also, the cheapest .22LR ammo like golden bullets and thunderbolts seem to give many people misfire problems. Not all but enough that I noticed a trend.
Yeah! I've noticed a trend too--like you say. My Savage .22 produced a whole pile of Remington duds-- "snap caps" I created by pulling the bullets out of Remington .22s. The kids love to see the little tiny bit of powder burn in a bottle cap.

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Federal is good too.
Federal makes good ammo, but I haven't tried it yet. The Remington Goldens are working better than the CCI Mini Mags for me.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Besure to clean you new gun before your first trip to the range.

Relube per the manual and be careful not to over lube. In a semi less is more. Mags usually work best totally dry.

With a semi you'll go through a lot more ammo so expect the insides to crude up faster (so it will seem).

As far as buying a 10/22; I've never heard of one wearing out and there are 1000s of after market 'upgrades' to be had. You can make a complete hobby out of just a 10/22.

Welcome!
That after market stuff is what is so appealing to the grandkids. They want to create some kind of super-gun outa just a simple rabbit killer. They'll have lots of fun--as long as they listen to the old fat guy (I used to be just like them).

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
That after market stuff is what is so appealing to the grandkids. They want to create some kind of super-gun outa just a simple rabbit killer. They'll have lots of fun--as long as they listen to the old fat guy (I used to be just like them).
Yeah, I think I've seen every conceivable configuration of a 10/22 from machine guns to bull pup kits and everything in between. 303's got a cool Mare's Leg he made out of one. Or you can dress it up like an AR.

I bought my 10/22 in hopes I can shoot it with my grandkids, too. But we all live in separate states and only one is really big enough yet. I'm really going to feel old when we finally do. :p

· Registered
43 Posts
10/22's are a thrill, I recommend loading the mag the night or day before you go shooting regardless of the brand of ammo you decide to use, this will help to prevent jams when you do go shooting. I'm not sure how or why it works but it has helped me when breaking in mags.

One of my 10/22's

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Remington Goldens work good in mine but the Federals do the best.
I'll have to pick up a box or two and try 'em out! Thanks. :)

· Registered
556 Posts
I've had good luck with Winchester M-22 bulk also, it is a bit more expensive than the Federal though, so I shoot mostly the Fed. bulk. I bought some of the Winchester 555 bulk last time and it works fine in the 10rnd mags, but chokes in all four of my BX-25 mags.

I have also noticed the Federal bulk from Walmart(red box) does not seem to work as well for me as the Fed. bulk I get at fleet farm(blue box).

Good luck with the new 10/22, My Son and I love ours!

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix! You're going to love that 10/22. It's a classic design that's been around since the 60's and they've certainly gotten all the bugs worked out. I just got my first one about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it and the cost of what it takes to shoot it. For less than the price of 50 .45's I can buy 525 rounds of .22LR. That works for me. :D
Right! Cost. I never calculated as compared to a .45, but it sure makes sense.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
RUGERMANten22--
The kid saw that photo and just about reverted back about ten years--started drooling and had to run & go pee!
He is totally excited.
Of course when he starts forking out the cash....

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.