Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a trade with a friend for a Single Six with 6.5 barrel and the extra .22 mag cylinder. My question is what is the reasoning for not using just one cylinder for mag and lr ammo?

Jim

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The two rounds are not the same and it is very important to use the appropriate cylinder for the proper round.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Because they are different rounds.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The 22 Magnum has a larger diameter casing. The 22 Long Rifle case fits loosely in the Magnum chamber and will burst. DONT fire 22 Long Rifle in a 22 Magnum cylinder

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Congratulations on getting a Single Six. Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, I see some new revolvers use one cylinder for all. I realize I have to use the right one, but I was just curious.

JIm

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Interesting, I see some new revolvers use one cylinder for all. I realize I have to use the right one, but I was just curious.

JIm
You WILL NEVER SEE a 22 revolver use one cylinder for Long Rifle AND WMR. PAY ATTENTION, THIS IS IMPORTANT. DONT FIRE Long Rifle from a MAGNUM cylinder.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I see some new revolvers use one cylinder for all
Not for .22LR and .22Mag .... But yes for .38Spec/.357 .... or .44Spec/.44Mag .

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a Texan.

Great little gun you have. I have one too and have for years and its by far the funnest (is that really a word?) gun I have in my collection bar none. Its the one that always in my truck when I leave the house and its the one I always have with me when I am camping and hiking or what ever in the outdoors.

BTW...I totally agree with the previous two replies!!!

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Welcome from Northern California. Congrats on your Single-Six.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe it or not I picked up a brand new one, Charter Pathfinder snub nosed, for my wife that has one cylinder.

This may be one of those "Twilight Zone" moments.

Jim

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Believe it or not I picked up a brand new one, Charter Pathfinder snub nosed, for my wife that has one cylinder.

This may be one of those "Twilight Zone" moments.

Jim
Yes, Im sure you did, but its not designed to shoot Long Rifle and Magnum thru one cylinder. There are Charter Arms Pathfinders in 22 Long Rifle, and Charter Arms Pathfinders in 22 Magnum. They are made for the specific round that is marked on them. They are not a "one size fits all" gun. The Pathfinder that is the "COMBO" Model(22 LR AND 22 Magnum) comes with 2 cylinders. If Magnum rounds fit in the cylinder, then its a 22 Magnum cylinder, because Magnum rounds wont fit in a Long Rifle cylinder. Long Rifle rounds will physically fit into the Magnum cylinder, but that doesnt mean you can shoot them safely. The barrel will be marked with the identification of what round can be fired thru the gun. The cylinder may also be marked.(not exactly sure how Charter marks their cylinders) Show us a picture of the gun and the markings. Im telling you, there are NO TWILIGHT ZONE MOMENTS. You cannot safely fire Long Rifle and Magnum thru one cylinder. I dont know what else to post that will make you understand. You have 4 posts, and in each one you indicate that you are confident that Long Rifle can safely be fired from a Magnum cylinder. IT CANNOT.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Always Learning New Things

Bought an OM Single Six with a fluted cylinder at a gun show, thinking it was the .22 LR cyl.

Thought all Single Six magnum cylinders were unfluted since day one...wrong.

Stuffed a .22 LR in it, (R) and of course the accuracy was lousy too. :eek:

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Welcome from Western Massachusetts! Enjoy your single six. I sure enjoy mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts