Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Tristan. New to firearm ownership and this forum. Purchased a GP100 4" Would appreciate some guidance on specific ammunition I can use. I pick up August 5 and look forward to firing at the range. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Greetings from the Show Me State.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Buckeye State ...

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,654 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Georgia! Great choice on your handgun. I have long thought that a 4" .357 magnum is the most versatile of handguns. The ability to shoot both .38 special and .357 magnum ammo offers the shooter a lot of choices. I recommend using factory loaded , standard pressure .38spl ammo for familiarization and target shooting. My favorites are the 158gr semi-wadcutter (SWC) loads for range use, but 130gr full metal jacket (FMJ), 148gr wadcutters (WC), and 158gr lead round nose (LRN) loads will work fine also. For defensive uses a jacketed hollow point (JHP) .357 magnum load between 125 and 158 grains will work well. If less blast and recoil suit you, try a .38spl+P (extra pressure) 125gr JHP for an easier shooting, yet still effective defense load. Keep your revolver clean, and be sure to brush out the chambers in the cylinder (as well as the bore) after shooting. Shooting a lot of the shorter .38spl ammo without cleaning the chambers can lead to a condition where the longer .357 magnum rounds won't chamber. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Army CW3
1,074 Posts
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

Reactions: dizzizaziz

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Exchequer
4,484 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Re ammo: Pretty much what ngashooter said.

Great revolver, BTW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have not ever fired a 357 get ready for a treat. My first pistol was a 357, and I was not ready for the kick that comes right after you pull the trigger. Make an effort to be ready for it. I have seen guns flying out of people's hands that were not ready. After you fire a box or two you won't even notice. I guess this is probably an expensive time to try and get some extra range time. The range over here in Dacula (GA) will only sell you one box of shells per visit. That sucks when you want to gain proficiency with a new gun. Have fun and be careful.

·
Premium Member
13,938 Posts
Welcome from Illinois!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome. As a new gun owner I strongly advise you to get instructions/lessons on how to grip the gun, stance, etc. AND how to properly clean it! As to ammunition, any commercial .38 special will work in that revolver. It is unkind of people to recommend .357 magnum ammunition to a brand new gun owner! As heavy as that revolver is, the recoil of .357 could turn you off to shooting completely.

I am not writing this advice to women, or "old ladies" like myself, but to everyone who is new to guns. My middle age son is a recent new gun owner and if it was not for the extremely helpful instructor where he rented several different guns before deciding which ones to purchase, he would have been totally turned off. He is not a sissy!

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Read your manual, then read it again. Start with the .38 Special with lighter factory loads. Shoot a lot, if you can. Tell your range officer you are a new convert and ask him for advice and for his time as an observer. He can also tell you who might be a good mentor at the range so you can progress more safely and more quickly toward proficiency. Be safe and have fun.

·
Pony Soldier
8,483 Posts
Greetings from Nebraska.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. Tristan from Northern California. I really appreciate you all for your guidance. Planning on reading manual top to bottom and engaging with other GP owners. Also, have schedule training with focus on safety, ammunition, grip, stance, reloading, firing, cleaning, etc. I also purchased a Mossberg 500. Looking forward to firearm ownership. Long live the Republic!

·
One Star
9,629 Posts
Welcome........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts