Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new MKlll, and, shot at a soup can at 18yds. Didn't hit the can. I was using Winchester ammo. The gun has standard sights. Any help would be appreciated, as far as, ammo, sight picture, pertinent info, etc. TKU, GG :)

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine. I'm sure some of these sharpshooters can give you some good advice for improving your technique to get that new MK III putting lead on target.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I just purchased a new MKlll, and, shot at a soup can at 18yds. Didn't hit the can. I was using Winchester ammo. The gun has standard sights. Any help would be appreciated, as far as, ammo, sight picture, pertinent info, etc. TKU, GG :)
Welcome to the forum - from "The Mountain State"

Which model MKIII did you get?

First of all, I would get a nice large target and practice shooting at a closer range, say maybe 25' or so. If your rear sight is adjustable, you can pick whatever sight picture you want such as 6 o'clock hold with the bullseye just sitting on the front sight post with the front sight post top even with the rear sights top. Some prefer to put the center mass of the target right on top of the post. Whatever you like, aim carefully and see where you are hitting or where your POI is.
I have 3 MKIII pistols and they are not picky about ammo. I was just out shooting my Hunter model and I was using the Federal Bulk like you can buy at Walmart.
Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! i'm salivating over mark llls these days. i'm sure the above advice will help tighten things up. you'll have to give us your next range report. enjoy the forum and your mark lll!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum - from "The Mountain State"

Which model MKIII did you get?

First of all, I would get a nice large target and practice shooting at a closer range, say maybe 25' or so. If your rear sight is adjustable, you can pick whatever sight picture you want such as 6 o'clock hold with the bullseye just sitting on the front sight post with the front sight post top even with the rear sights top. Some prefer to put the center mass of the target right on top of the post. Whatever you like, aim carefully and see where you are hitting or where your POI is.
I have 3 MKIII pistols and they are not picky about ammo. I was just out shooting my Hunter model and I was using the Federal Bulk like you can buy at Walmart.
Good luck and keep us informed.
I have the stanard, stainless, MKlll with a 4 3/4 barrel, and fixed sights. I would have gotten the adj. sights if I had it to do over. Somone recommended the CCI mini mag . The empty cartridge that came with the gun was a CCI hull. Thanks for the help. GG

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have the stanard, stainless, MKlll with a 4 3/4 barrel, and fixed sights. I would have gotten the adj. sights if I had it to do over. Somone recommended the CCI mini mag . The empty cartridge that came with the gun was a CCI hull. Thanks for the help. GG
Fixed sights are not a problem GG, you just have to pick a POA or point of aim and then check and see where the bullets are impacting your target. Shoot 10 rds or so while holding a very consistent aim at what you think is the center of the target and then check and see if they are pretty well grouped somewhere. If they are hitting high or low, just adjust your point of aim to bring the group down or up. After a while you will know exactly where to put that front sight. I was just out shooting my GP100 which has fixed sights (in elevation) and it is set up for pretty much center mass. When I put the front post top just about in the middle of the bullseye it is just about right in elevation.

The Mark's are not picky about ammo at all. CCI Mini-Mag is good ammo, but the bulk stuff like the Federal I often use is cheaper and at pistol distances the accuracy is fine.

Report back often

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would set up a target at say 15 feet and shoot from a bench rest to learn where she's shooting. I still believe you can correct windage with the factory fixed sight and Rugers do like some ammo over others. Please stay away from Remington Thunderbolts, it's the garbage of commercial ammo. I almost forgot, welcome from the great state of Penna.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed sights are not a problem GG, you just have to pick a POA or point of aim and then check and see where the bullets are impacting your target. Shoot 10 rds or so while holding a very consistent aim at what you think is the center of the target and then check and see if they are pretty well grouped somewhere. If they are hitting high or low, just adjust your point of aim to bring the group down or up. After a while you will know exactly where to put that front sight. I was just out shooting my GP100 which has fixed sights (in elevation) and it is set up for pretty much center mass. When I put the front post top just about in the middle of the bullseye it is just about right in elevation.

The Mark's are not picky about ammo at all. CCI Mini-Mag is good ammo, but the bulk stuff like the Federal I often use is cheaper and at pistol distances the accuracy is fine.

Report back often
What is an acceptable group? Do you see a full, front post in the rear sight? What is max distance? TKU

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
A lot of that depends on you partner. Shooting from a steady rest at 25yds a MKIII is capable of 1" groups, but darn few of us get that. :D As others have said the MKIII is not real fussy about ammo, but if you want accuracy there are brands of ammo that do better than others. CCI Green Label gives me the best accuracy, but at $16-18 a box of 100, it's not cheap. The Blue label Federal bulk boxes are what I use for general purpose practice and plinking.

As everybody said, get a big target move closer until you find out where you are hitting. The rear sight can be moved to adjust side to side. Check your manual, I think you might loosen a Allen screw and tap it a little on way or the other. You have to shoot it and find out where you're hitting first. If you need to move the impact to the left, you slide the rear sight to the left.

Have Fun! and welcome to the Ruger Forum.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome from northern Illinois. Great gun you have there. Enjoy it and the forum.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Greetings & Welcome to the forum from the "Tar Heel" State of North Carolina.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I noticed the gun came with a spent CCI case. Just wondering which cartridge they used? What is the CCI green label ammo? Thanks for the welcome, and, the info. Have a blessed holiday season.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
First off bereta 1 Welcome to the forum. Lot of great people here willing to help. Take a look at the thread MKIII ss barrel need to be broken in by p5200 and look at the picture North Country Gal posted of her target with a MKIII Hunter. This lady is a great soruce of info and is always looking to help others. She's a master with MK's. That being said I run mostly Federal bulk red box Walmart thru mine. When you want to step up ,CCI mimi mags to me are the best. Don't use CCI stingers in your MK as they're not rated for hyper velocity ammo. Enjoy your MK they're great guns. I've three. North country gal I think has lost count of how many she has.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm using std. sights at 17-18 yds. My group of ten shots is terrible. What size group would be considered average for off hand shooting with std sights? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts